Rear suspension

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis
Blactus
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:34 am

Re: Rear suspension

Post by Blactus » Wed May 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Softrider wrote:The rear suspension on Cactus (torsion-beam axle) is on par with what you get on the lower spec VW Golf 7 models (or great oldschool sportscars like Porsche 944 for that matter). It's not the most sophisticated, but it does the job and it's durable. I think most of the roadnoise is coming from the front of the car and not the back. My BlueHDi 100 has the standard 15" steel wheels (with Michelin "Energy Saver" tyres) and that helps a lot regarding roadnoise compared to 17" wheels. The ride comfort is also much more traditional oldschool Citroën like with 15" wheels (try it and you will be convinced). I do think about installing extra sound insulation though (Dynamat etc. http://www.dynamat.com/brands/dynamat-xtreme/), especially round the front wheelhouses inside of the car (under the floor carpet).
Thanks I'll look in to it. If it's not too pricy.
I'm loathed to spend when I'm not keeping the car beyond three years but the cabin noise is the only bug bear I have, and as a rep who drives mostly motorway, it's a major annoyance
100 Bluehdi Flair Black-Leather-pano


davew
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Rear suspension

Post by davew » Wed May 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Unfortunately Mr Plod will almost certainly strongly object to you wearing noise cancelling earphones while driving, but they would probably help to reduce perceived cabin noise to quite a degree...


Blactus
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:34 am

Re: Rear suspension

Post by Blactus » Wed May 25, 2016 8:58 pm

davew wrote:Unfortunately Mr Plod will almost certainly strongly object to you wearing noise cancelling earphones while driving, but they would probably help to reduce perceived cabin noise to quite a degree...
I very much doubt it. Otherwise all tractor,
Digger and the hard of hearing will be in trouble :)
Was talking sound proofing not earphones
100 Bluehdi Flair Black-Leather-pano


davew
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Rear suspension

Post by davew » Thu May 26, 2016 9:16 am

Blactus wrote:
davew wrote:Unfortunately Mr Plod will almost certainly strongly object to you wearing noise cancelling earphones while driving, but they would probably help to reduce perceived cabin noise to quite a degree...
I very much doubt it. Otherwise all tractor,
Digger and the hard of hearing will be in trouble :)
Was talking sound proofing not earphones

Your doubt may be correct, but that is the opposite view of a UK lawyer on driving and wearing headphones:

"If the person is caught, he can be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. The argument (from the police's point of view) being that hearing is one of the usual sense a person has -- and intentionally impairing that sense means not being fully aware of the surroundings during driving."


Regarding in-car noise reduction, you might find it informative to try a google search for "active noise cancellation in car"


User avatar
cactusjack
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Rear suspension

Post by cactusjack » Thu May 26, 2016 9:56 am

Sorry davew but neither softrider or blactus are talking about headphones, earphones or any other kind of phones. They're talking about sound deadening sheets that you put on the inside of various panels to reduce road noise or 'booming' on large panels such as a van. You often find them stuck to the inside of car doors. Even under the bonnet or on the floor under carpets. Absolutely nothing to do with audio or earplugs to drown out noise. :?:
Yellow/black 17" black crosscuts Panoramic roof Habana interior Flair 110


davew
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Rear suspension

Post by davew » Thu May 26, 2016 11:30 am

Perhaps my lateral thinking is not obvious - the cabin noise on motorways seems to be the problem -- I presume causing driver fatigue.
As has been mentioned this is probably arising from tyre/ road surface rumble transmitted into the car interior.

As has also been mentioned by various commentators, perhaps a solution would be different tyres or perhaps smaller wheels or perhaps sound insulation.

I have thrown in another possible approach.

Comprenez-vous?


User avatar
Primekart
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:37 pm
Location: Israel

Re: Rear suspension

Post by Primekart » Thu May 26, 2016 12:01 pm

Dave, my Cactus is quiet on the motorway. I think it depends on the level of noise protection that the car is equipped with. My 110 Turbo is "optimally noise protected " as stated in the service site of Citroen. I checked it with my VIN. There are several levels of noise protection. The 82 HP that is imported to Israel, for example, has minimal protection.
Also you should be aware that 17 in wheels are more prone to generate noise.
1.2 Puretech 110 Turbo Red with Black Airbumps and Habana interior


davew
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Rear suspension

Post by davew » Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks Primekart. my comments were originally aimed at Blactus who experiences high noise when driving on motorways.

Perhaps my original wording was not as clear as it could have been:
I wrote "noise cancelling earphones" and perhaps I should have written "active noise cancelling headphones"

These have been around for quite a few years made by Bose and others - many people have bought these because they are very effective at reducing the internal cabin rumble in jet aircraft.
I erroneously assumed that most people had at least heard of these, but maybe not so in this forum.

So I wasn't referring to ear plugs or ear phones to block out the sound, but a cancellation scheme. This is a technology that is currently being assessed by various manufacturers to reduce overall cabin sound levels inside a vehicle by using a set of internal microphones and loudspeakers to effectively provide the equal and opposite noise, so that it cancels out (more or less).
With headphones this cancellation can be managed fairly effectively, but its not so easy for the total internal cabin space


Blactus
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:34 am

Re: Rear suspension

Post by Blactus » Thu May 26, 2016 1:32 pm

davew wrote:Thanks Primekart. my comments were originally aimed at Blactus who experiences high noise when driving on motorways.

Perhaps my original wording was not as clear as it could have been:
I wrote "noise cancelling earphones" and perhaps I should have written "active noise cancelling headphones"

These have been around for quite a few years made by Bose and others - many people have bought these because they are very effective at reducing the internal cabin rumble in jet aircraft.
I erroneously assumed that most people had at least heard of these, but maybe not so in this forum.

So I wasn't referring to ear plugs or ear phones to block out the sound, but a cancellation scheme. This is a technology that is currently being assessed by various manufacturers to reduce overall cabin sound levels inside a vehicle by using a set of internal microphones and loudspeakers to effectively provide the equal and opposite noise, so that it cancels out (more or less).
With headphones this cancellation can be managed fairly effectively, but its not so easy for the total internal cabin space
When paying £19k for a top of the line model, I don't expect to pay extra for sound proofing or any other gizmos :(

The car I test drove had steel wheels and standard roof. Or it could be they forgot to in insulate mine. I'll find out at the service.
100 Bluehdi Flair Black-Leather-pano


berapotter
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:43 pm
Location: Staffs

Re: Rear suspension

Post by berapotter » Thu May 26, 2016 4:38 pm

If you have a dig about on the ole interweb you will find reviews of the Goodyear efficient grip that are not always complimentary.
issues with grip and noise do appear and it seems to be common. they have a new version out now.

I just find them a bit vague. It might be me as I've come out of a C3 with allseason tyres and a diesel lump at the front.

I think the tyre manufactures try to baffle us with psuedo science.
grip needs friction. friction =wear=noise=loss of economy.

As for falling down holes in the road, I wonder if its rebound speed of the rear shocks, think they are so set up for slow speed smoothness that high speed has been sacrificed. I've only driven the Cactus with 17" alloys so have nothing to compare with really. having a deeper tyrewall would no doubt help as it puts extra compliance into the system.

don't suppose the Highways agency will fill the holes in anytime soon :lol:
Black Flair 110 s&s


Post Reply

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Manturian and 1 guest