Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Rear suspension

33K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  Cactusboy 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the cactus will skip or jitter over an uneven or undulating road (50mph +)? It almost feels if the suspension cannot react fast enough . This seems particularly noticeable on the rear axle. ! appreciate the car is light and fuel returns testify to that but I was just looking for other's observations.

Thanks

D

#4 ·
It's a consequence of the type of suspension used and soft suspension mount bushes.

What with the reduced sound proofing on the car it's a compromise between ride comfort, noise intrusion and handling.

To sharpen up the handling you'd fit harder bushes only the noise intrusion would increase...to almost unacceptable levels. Given the nature of the car they've gone with comfort.

#6 ·
As I said, car is like a woman, you have or don't have a "click" with her... I can find my wife flaws if I want, but then I recall of all the things she is and I just can't give any significant meaning for a specific flaw...
So as my wife is perfect for me, same as my Cactus. Not the fastest or the most advanced, but just the right combination of design, price, efficiency and a lot of charm!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
P.S.
My wife is the most advanced, smart, wise, beautiful human being I know, so help me god.
:p

#7 ·
ran said:
As I said, car is like a woman, you have or don't have a "click" with her... I can find my wife flaws if I want, but then I recall of all the things she is and I just can't give any significant meaning for a specific flaw...
So as my wife is perfect for me, same as my Cactus. Not the fastest or the most advanced, but just the right combination of design, price, efficiency and a lot of charm!
P.S.
My wife is the most advanced, smart, wise, beautiful human being I know, so help me god.
Same here.
Where you wrote P.S. i can read S.O.S
:lol:

#9 ·
ran said:
P.S.
Well said...... :)

#10 ·
Steve said:
Had the same weird sliding across the road feeling the other day after going over a stretch of poor road surface whilst turning right.
Oh dear .Suspicions confirmed. This is a slightly unsettling feeling but I suppose the Cactus does not lay claim to handling prowess and in the main is forgiving and supremely comfortable.

#11 ·
ran said:
P.S.
Did your wife write this by any chance? :lol: :lol: :lol:

#13 ·
Hi,
It's Ran's wife. I've been reading this forum for a while and... hahaha just kidding :p
actually no password and no standing behind (everything from the cellphone) but you know, after all we are men are like tigers at home!
(walking quietly and on four)
:lol:

#15 ·
Bringing the thread back to topic ; I wonder how many Australians will call their Cactus 'Skippy' ? :lol:

#16 ·
2 questions.
1. Are we all on the same tyres. I'm running Goodyear efficient grip atm. Don't like them, got same on wife's Fiat, equally carp so want to put something better on.
2. What about twin speed shocks so different rebound etc.?

#17 ·
berapotter said:
2 questions.
1. Are we all on the same tyres. I'm running Goodyear efficient grip atm. Don't like them, got same on wife's Fiat, equally carp so want to put something better on.
Flair 17" have the Goodyear efficient grip. What is it you don't like about them? For me, they are a din on the motorways, it adds decibels to an already under-unsulated cabin. I don't think my pano roof helps either :|

#18 ·
Blactus said:
berapotter said:
2 questions.
Flair 17" have the Goodyear efficient grip. What is it you don't like about them? For me, they are a din on the motorways, it adds decibels to an already under-unsulated cabin. I don't think my pano roof helps either :|
According to the BlackCircles site, the noise rating for these Goodyear tyres is 66 dB, which seems to be lower than just about all the others they sell of same size...

#19 ·
The rear suspension on Cactus (torsion-beam axle) is on par with what you get on the lower spec VW Golf 7 models (or great oldschool sportscars like Porsche 944 for that matter). It's not the most sophisticated, but it does the job and it's durable. I think most of the roadnoise is coming from the front of the car and not the back. My BlueHDi 100 has the standard 15" steel wheels (with Michelin "Energy Saver" tyres) and that helps a lot regarding roadnoise compared to 17" wheels. The ride comfort is also much more traditional oldschool Citroën like with 15" wheels (try it and you will be convinced). I do think about installing extra sound insulation though (Dynamat etc. http://www.dynamat.com/brands/dynamat-xtreme/), especially round the front wheelhouses inside of the car (under the floor carpet).

#20 ·
According to the BlackCircles site, the noise rating for these Goodyear tyres is 66 dB, which seems to be lower than just about all the others they sell of same size...
Oh no! I was hoping for both better grip and quietness when my tyres needed replacing...and I am comparing this against my Mk7 Golf GTI which is both quieter and grippier☹

#21 ·
Softrider said:
The rear suspension on Cactus (torsion-beam axle) is on par with what you get on the lower spec VW Golf 7 models (or great oldschool sportscars like Porsche 944 for that matter). It's not the most sophisticated, but it does the job and it's durable. I think most of the roadnoise is coming from the front of the car and not the back. My BlueHDi 100 has the standard 15" steel wheels (with Michelin "Energy Saver" tyres) and that helps a lot regarding roadnoise compared to 17" wheels. The ride comfort is also much more traditional oldschool Citroën like with 15" wheels (try it and you will be convinced). I do think about installing extra sound insulation though (Dynamat etc. http://www.dynamat.com/brands/dynamat-xtreme/), especially round the front wheelhouses inside of the car (under the floor carpet).
Thanks I'll look in to it. If it's not too pricy.
I'm loathed to spend when I'm not keeping the car beyond three years but the cabin noise is the only bug bear I have, and as a rep who drives mostly motorway, it's a major annoyance

#23 ·
davew said:
Unfortunately Mr Plod will almost certainly strongly object to you wearing noise cancelling earphones while driving, but they would probably help to reduce perceived cabin noise to quite a degree...
I very much doubt it. Otherwise all tractor,
Digger and the hard of hearing will be in trouble :)
Was talking sound proofing not earphones

#24 ·
Blactus said:
davew said:
Unfortunately Mr Plod will almost certainly strongly object to you wearing noise cancelling earphones while driving, but they would probably help to reduce perceived cabin noise to quite a degree...
I very much doubt it. Otherwise all tractor,
Digger and the hard of hearing will be in trouble :)
Was talking sound proofing not earphones
Your doubt may be correct, but that is the opposite view of a UK lawyer on driving and wearing headphones:

"If the person is caught, he can be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. The argument (from the police's point of view) being that hearing is one of the usual sense a person has -- and intentionally impairing that sense means not being fully aware of the surroundings during driving."

Regarding in-car noise reduction, you might find it informative to try a google search for "active noise cancellation in car"

#25 ·
Sorry davew but neither softrider or blactus are talking about headphones, earphones or any other kind of phones. They're talking about sound deadening sheets that you put on the inside of various panels to reduce road noise or 'booming' on large panels such as a van. You often find them stuck to the inside of car doors. Even under the bonnet or on the floor under carpets. Absolutely nothing to do with audio or earplugs to drown out noise. :?:

#26 ·
Perhaps my lateral thinking is not obvious - the cabin noise on motorways seems to be the problem -- I presume causing driver fatigue.
As has been mentioned this is probably arising from tyre/ road surface rumble transmitted into the car interior.

As has also been mentioned by various commentators, perhaps a solution would be different tyres or perhaps smaller wheels or perhaps sound insulation.

I have thrown in another possible approach.

Comprenez-vous?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.