Rusty Rear Brake Discs

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis
ruairip

Re: Rusty Rear Brake Discs

Post by ruairip » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Peyote wrote:Chances are the rear brakes are load sensitive. Fill up the boot with lots of heavy stuff and go for a spin round the block, should get them working and hence clean them up.
This brought back memories! My last Citroen with hydraulic everything was a Xantia, brilliant car, the brakes were to all intents an purposes an on/off switch arrangement with the pressure governed by the load in the car as the self leveling suspension acting as master. In those days we did numerous "booze cruises" to France. The more weight the car had to carry the more braking force was applied. Did stretch this well beyond published limits on occasion.

Time and space permitting retirement will grant me the opportunity to rebuild a deserving DS and really get to grips with what a wonderful system Citroen came up with. Few years off yet but it is on the bucket list.
Best

Ruairi

C4 Cactus PureTech 82 S&S ETG Flair in Blue Lagoon with City Park Pack (from 12/03/2016)

skillk01

Post by skillk01 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:55 am

I believe Citroen has reverted back to drums on the back to resolve this problem as the car is so light rear brake force was minimal. Drum brakes removes this problem. :idea:

geoffus

Post by geoffus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:43 am

I have a new cactus registered June 2017 and it has all round discs the same as my old cactus did. No rust. In my opinion rusty rear discs must be an imbalance in the braking system, otherwise all cars would suffer from it, which they don't.
C4 Cactus 1.2i 110 Flair EAT6 in Baltic Blue with Black Bumps

Previous car was C4 Cactus HDi 100 manual Flair in Hello Yellow with black bumps

davew

Post by davew » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Somebody made a suggestion (last year I think) to drive slowly in reverse a short distance while applying light foot brake pressure, to clean the rear discs.
For some people their normal daily routine might include this without any conscious effort, but for others it might need to be a deliberate activity...

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 pm

I am glad it wasn't just me who HAD rusty rear brake discs.

I protested, complained and eventually my Citroen garage offered me a goodwill gesture and charged me £200 to fit and supply new rear disc brakes. Lets see how long they remain looking like new.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”