So what tyres are we all using?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis
Muddles

So what tyres are we all using?

Post by Muddles » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57 pm

What tyres are you using and for which Cactus?

Mines the diesel and at the moment I have the standard supplied Goodyear 205/50R17 89V Effcient Grip (with the rim protection lip)

These have now been replaced by Goodyear with Efficient Grip Performance. The 'new' EGP tyres cannot be mixed with an old EG tyre on the same axle as there are steering issues

Mine's coming up to 17k miles and looks like I'll be needing new soon so thought I'd find out what everyone else uses.

To replace mine with the new EGP tyres ASDA Tyres do them for £98.34 each which includes disposal of old tyre, new valves, balancing, and fitting. But seeing as they don't seem to have a very long life, I was thinking of getting a different make.
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

Zenkodo

Re: So what tyres are we all using?

Post by Zenkodo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Mine is on the original Goodyear tyres at 26k and looking like they'll need replacing this summer. I will go for the original tyres - or the new version of them, because I think they will have lower road noise - and this is a priority. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I'd say the road noise is increasing as the tyres wear. Thanks for the info about ASDA tyres at£98 each. That doesn't sound too bad.
1.6 HDi ETG6 Flair. Shark Grey / black air bumps

Steen

Post by Steen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 pm

I agree. I think the roadnoise is getting worse as the tyres is worn. Quite a lot I must say.
Cactus 1.6 BlueHDI FEEL, man. gear, build may 2016

paully

Post by paully » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Been seeing some good reports on the new Avon ZV7 tyres. Made in the UK for British weather (so they say) and selling at a good price especially for the 17in..Quite a few that like them and some have changed from Goodyears with positive vibes. Anyone else got an opinion?
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

ZLUsurfer

Post by ZLUsurfer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:03 pm

23000 miles so far on mitchelin energy saver + 205/55/16 V.
Still got about 4mm left on front & approx 5mm on rear.
Would probably buy same again as they are only £10 ish more than Goodyear/Dunlop equivalent. Had Dunlop blue response 205/50 17 on previous C4 diesel and those only lasted about 14000 miles.
The mitchelin are a bit noisier than dunlops, but work out cheaper over the miles.
Would consider Mitch cross climates, they do seem quite expensive....but are supposed to last even longer than the +
Grip on the energy + is good wet, dry & not bad in colder months.
1.6 hdi blue Feel, Artic silver, black square wheels, stone grey bumps, front fogs, reverse camera

paully

Post by paully » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Just had mine in to ATS near Leeds to check the tyres, depths etc before our forthcoming trip to Rural France..Glad I did, they found a rather large recent looking gash on the sidewall of the front o/s Goodyear ;) ..Long story short, after kicking various tyres and prices and discounts about, I`ve got 2 new Avon ZV7 `s fitted and balanced for £81 a corner, which I didn`t think was bad for an `A` rated 17 inch tyre and manufactured in the UK to boot :)

davew

Post by davew » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:32 pm

paully wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm
Just had mine in to ATS near Leeds to check the tyres, depths etc before our forthcoming trip to Rural France..Glad I did, they found a rather large recent looking gash on the sidewall of the front o/s Goodyear ;) ..Long story short, after kicking various tyres and prices and discounts about, I`ve got 2 new Avon ZV7 `s fitted and balanced for £81 a corner, which I didn`t think was bad for an `A` rated 17 inch tyre and manufactured in the UK to boot :)
According to a recent thread on here, the best tyres should be on the rear... (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2615&hilit=tryes)

paully

Post by paully » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Because they checked the rears and found there was 6mm on them and there is only 7mm on a new one, so no need

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:03 pm

I shall replace all mine after the summer run to France.
Got 3.5mm on front and 6mm on the back.
Most likely go for Michelin cross climate around £110 a corner.
The Goodyears on from new are crap. And certainly not up to much up here in the Peak District.So I'm keen to get shut at what I think is a sensible point.
Black Flair 110 s&s

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Now the BlueHD is going this week I priced up for the petrol Cactus with 16" wheels, the tyres are still very good as it's low mileage, so I was only looking for my own interest really. From ASDA tyres the same brand as for the Flair 17" are £30 a tyre cheaper. Yet they're only an inch smaller. Weird. The tyre wall is slightly higher than the 17"s so you'd think they'd only be slightly different wouldnt you.
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”