Rear suspension

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis
daveh51

Rear suspension

Post by daveh51 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:52 am

Had my cactus just over a year now and have noticed the rear of the car seems to "hop" sideways if I hit a bump, pothole etc, mid corner!
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Is it normal, due to higher ride height, or is it just me?

geoffus

Re: Rear suspension

Post by geoffus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am

Yes my first cactus did this and the ride was quite hard. In June I swapped it for a newer one which doesn't. I think this issue has been discussed before.
C4 Cactus 1.2i 110 Flair EAT6 in Baltic Blue with Black Bumps

Previous car was C4 Cactus HDi 100 manual Flair in Hello Yellow with black bumps

paully

Post by paully » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 am

Interesting view. There is one particular bend on my regular route where this `hopping` happened all the time..It has adverse camber and a poor surface. I changed the front tyres from the supplied Goodyears to Avon ZV7 and it cured about 80% of the problem. After that I`ve taken particular note when poor surface corners come up and the improvement has been consistent.

A lot of views I`ve read have been less than complimentary towards the factory fitted Goodyears and I don`t rate them either. The ride height is raised by 3mm so that may be a factor as might the suspension set up, and I`m open minded as to the cause, which is seriously annoying. But, for me, the change of tyres did work.
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

davew

Post by davew » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 am

I suppose worn tyres might well exhibit this hopping effect more than new ones.
Having said that, on another car I've recently fitted Avon ZV7s and am very satisfied with the ride, road holding and noise .

Softrider

Post by Softrider » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:58 am

The C4 Cactus has a relatively simple torsion-beam rear suspension, which is quite common on cheaper vehicles with front-wheel drive. This suspension is semi-independent and the two wheels can move relative to each other, but their motion is still somewhat interlinked. This can mildly compromise the handling and ride quality of the vehicle, especially when only one wheel is deflected upwards in a bump/pothole/corner. The deflected wheel now has negative camber and the other wheel's camber has changed to positive. What you experience is therefore a degree of impact harshness and camber/toe changes (steer effects) in the rear axle. More expensive cars have a multi-link rear suspension that will solve these problems.
Citroën C4 Cactus BlueHDi 100 (since August 2014)
History: 2002 Citroën C5 2.0 HDi with Hydractive 3

daveh51

Post by daveh51 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks for your replies. I take it that I will have live with it then! How would changing the front tyres stop the rear hopping?
Would lowering work or should I just change the car?

paully

Post by paully » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 pm

daveh51 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm
Thanks for your replies. I take it that I will have live with it then! How would changing the front tyres stop the rear hopping?

Dunno to be honest, but it worked for me. What was also noticeable was the reduction in the road noise. Try some new tyres and see how you go
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

Sveinn

Post by Sveinn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am

daveh51 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm
I had a car many years ago with a rear tire with a wire gone in the tire carcass. That caused the car to hop just like you describe. Try removing the rear wheels and roll them around to look at them, or jack it up and turn the wheels while inspecting them outside and inside for bulges or twisty motion. Otherwise this might be a symptom of a faulty shock absorber. If you have too high pressure in the tire, it does more bouncing as well.
Dont give up! Find the cause.
Cactus BlueHDI 100, 2015

BristolRich

Post by BristolRich » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Common trait of the rear suspension design. Nothing to worry about they all do it.
Ex - 2014 Hello Yellow Citroën C4 Cactus Hatchback 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Feel Edition

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”