Hello from Cambridgeshire

New to the C4 Cactus Forums? Introduce yourself here
Tripletmum

Re: Hello from Cambridgeshire

Post by Tripletmum » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:54 pm

Will do Dave but not sure why oil would have been low as was only serviced in March. No sign of an engine leak on my drive, however I have gear box oil stained on my drive from when they replaced shock absorbers and apparently broke the 'diff seal'? I've only had the car just over a year, not sure what the previous owner used it for as I only drive it locally on normal roads and short distances. Fortunately all this has been covered under the warranty. I've had a mix of brand new cars and used but have never encountered problems like these before. Has made me a little sad tbh.

Tripletmum

Post by Tripletmum » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:05 pm

Cars repaired, apparently it was the timing belt which has been damaged by a cleaning chemical that was put into the engine at one of the services. (Not at the last one). It seems this was a standard procedure that used to be done until they realised it was causing damage, hence why it was covered under the warranty. I'm just pleased to have my cactus back.

davew

Post by davew » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:18 am

Tripletmum wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:05 pm
Cars repaired, apparently it was the timing belt which has been damaged by a cleaning chemical that was put into the engine at one of the services. (Not at the last one). It seems this was a standard procedure that used to be done until they realised it was causing damage, hence why it was covered under the warranty. I'm just pleased to have my cactus back.
Thanks for this information - I don't think the issue of a cleaning chemical causing degradation of the timing belt has been mentioned before in the forum, so it could be useful for someone in the future.

Tripletmum

Post by Tripletmum » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 am

Should I post this somewhere else then?

davew

Post by davew » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 am

Tripletmum wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 am
Should I post this somewhere else then?
I don't think you need to. Maybe it varies depending on a user viewing the forum with phone or PC etc, but on my PC I can see any new message in the "Whats New?" section, and anybody searching should come across it with search words such as: oil / pressure / timing belt...

paully

Post by paully » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:50 am

Puzzled at this one tbh, I can`t imagine what sort of cleaning agent would be introduced into the engine at service time. The schedules merely call for an oil change and unless someone has been naughty and using inappropriate lube oil, flushing oil went out with the ark, I would be tempted to ask them precisely what sort of agent they think has caused this damage.

Knowing dealerships as I do, and them having quoted you a cost of £2k at the outset, my `Bullshine`ometer is on overtime, on this one.
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

davew

Post by davew » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:19 pm

paully wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:50 am

Knowing dealerships as I do, and them having quoted you a cost of £2k at the outset, my `Bullshine`ometer is on overtime, on this one.
I concur with you on that opinion paully, the truth could be obscured in some way, associated with how the the repair garage gets paid for warranty work...

Metalmartin

Post by Metalmartin » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:43 am

Hi.

I am also an owner of a Lagoon Blue Flair and also from Cambridgeshire!!! (Whittlesey).

Tripletmum

Post by Tripletmum » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello Martin, there are two of us in Chatteris and I believe one in st ives. Somebody in a lagoon blue waved at me on the A141 one day and myself and my trips thought it was really funny in a very friendly way. We did wave back 😁