Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Would be Cactus owner

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Daveh 
#1 ·
Hi all
Given a Cactus as a courtesy car while mine is off the road and fallen in love with it!
Looking to change my car anyway so have been on the hunt for the perfect car for me this week.
Will need to be a diesel and a used car, very nearly made my mind up today until I realised that the salesman's 'only one owner' patter, whilst theoretically correct failed to point out that it has had many many drivers as it's an ex rental car. That put me off so am still hunting.
Any tips or things I should look out for would be much appreciated.
Thanks

#3 ·
Thank you Pheon, I'll give it some thought. It still has 26 months warranty left, I just need to check that isn't compromised by the fact that it's been used as a rental car. It wasn't till after I put the phone down that my very small brain started ticking and thinking 13.7k for a 10 month old car is quite a lot.

Good to hear that it can work out ok though.

#4 ·
A significant amount of used Cacti that are 12-ish months old are ex rental cars, I personally wouldn't worry about it either; ok they might not have had the best drivers (although they might also not have had 10 months of the same awful driver as a 'one careful owner' car might...) but the oil and water levels will have been checked between each hire and a general inspection for damage.

I've had ex-hire 12 month old cars before - it wouldn't bother me to have another.

#5 ·
Thanks for your reply Frank. Am still dithering here, have a test drive booked for Saturday for a diesel flair edition, just wondering if the extra money is worth it for the panoramic roof and leather seats but am hoping driving it will make my mind up. If not I have had a test drive of a diesel flair today which is lovely so I will go with that.

Only problem is, the place we are going on Saturday has so many for sale that I feel I will spend most of the day in a quagmire of indecisiveness

#6 ·
Peugeot Citroen diesels are some of the best in the business. There's a reason BMW and Ford put the previous generation PSA DV6 engines in their repmobiles. If they can stand up to company car abuse I can't see a hire car being an issue!

You'll love it. I love my cactus (though a petrol one) a year later and would be hard pressed to leave Citroen now.

#7 ·
Had mine at 4 months old with 6k miles.
Ex Thrifty/Lookers.
There's a good chance that an ex rental is a good buy. Most mileage will be A road or motorway, not bashing about on local B,C or cart tracks.
It will have balance of warranty with it
It will have been serviced. Even though it's not yet got 16,000 first service (petrol)
If you assume its lost the biggest chunk of value then if you keep it 10 years then it'll cost you less than £1000 a year depreciation. (writing it off over 10 years).
Make sure you give it a proper test drive(not 5 mins from the dealership) and walk away if not happy, there's plenty more out there.
There's a lot of us on here that have gone that route it's worked for most of us

#9 ·
I wouldn't be too concerned about buying a used Cactus. I sought out an ex demo car from Citroen and am delighted with it. It's a Flair, complete with all the extra bells and whistles, two years warranty and free tech upgrades for as long as I have the car. I couldn't have asked for more. It's an absolute gem of a car. Everything is fully functional and the 100 blue hdi has had no problem returning 60+ mpg. I chopped in my C4 Picasso with the 6 speed semi auto gear box against it, so was fully conversant with the paddle gearshift. It's an excellent, economical way of buying a new car.
I'd recommend Citroen to everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.