Hello from Hull

New to the C4 Cactus Forums? Introduce yourself here
HullCactus63

Hello from Hull

Post by HullCactus63 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:37 am

Hello, just a quick introduction. I have just recently joined the 'Cactus Club' after having owned a C Class Mercedes for the past 4 years. Initially I bought the Cactus (a 65 plate 1.6 blueHDI) purely for economy, especially the mpg and 4 weeks in I am truly impressed. Bought the car from Evans Halshaw but have to say their pre-sale checks leave a lot to be desired, considering they stamped the book as if it had been serviced. Got it home and there was no water in the washer tank, one of the windscreen wipers was shredded and had to replace both and within a week the UREA warning light came on. No big deals, but if it had been serviced prior to sale as they said, these things would have been checked.

Anyway, rant over about Evans Halshaw :D I'll have a browse around the posts and no doubt you'll be hearing from me in the not so distant future.

Mike

jacques38

Re: Hello from Hull

Post by jacques38 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:35 am

Hello Mike, sois le bienvenu!! :D ;)

Rubik

Re: Hello from Hull

Post by Rubik » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:14 pm

HullCactus63 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:37 am
Hello, just a quick introduction. I have just recently joined the 'Cactus Club' after having owned a C Class Mercedes for the past 4 years. Initially I bought the Cactus (a 65 plate 1.6 blueHDI) purely for economy, especially the mpg and 4 weeks in I am truly impressed. Bought the car from Evans Halshaw but have to say their pre-sale checks leave a lot to be desired, considering they stamped the book as if it had been serviced. Got it home and there was no water in the washer tank, one of the windscreen wipers was shredded and had to replace both and within a week the UREA warning light came on. No big deals, but if it had been serviced prior to sale as they said, these things would have been checked.

Anyway, rant over about Evans Halshaw :D I'll have a browse around the posts and no doubt you'll be hearing from me in the not so distant future.

Mike
I am also in Hull and I bought my Cactus when there was literally a handful running around in East Yorkshire. When you saw another, you waved. Now they are plentiful but I believe they are to be discontinued.

Since buying mine, it has proved a very expensive investment, majority paid by Citroen thankfully. The urea issue was only part of a full replacement of the whole system, reservoir and injector needed. Thankfully paid by Citroen, I find it disturbing to hear your adblue issue has surfaced after a week.

The next thing to check is for corrosion at the bottom of the rear doors. Check the air-con works with no hydraulic like smells. Mine has just been sorted after 4 years of replacement parts and half a dozen refills. This ended up costing me.

Check the rear brakes, bad news if they are discs as these are prone to corrosion. The wiper blades are expensive but they can be re-threaded very cheaply, see my previous articles on doing this. All in all I am now happy with my yellow Cactus, it returns a very good mpg especially round town (stop/start) and brilliant on motorways at 55-60mph using the cruise control.