Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Finally got a growler

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ThePreacher 
#1 ·
Managed to finally get a purple 110 after months of looking and saving and I must say that it is much better than I thought it would be. Lovely and smooth and pretty powerful, you get a big wallop of power when you give it a bit of throttle. The growling noise is quite a surprise too, sounds a bit like a V6 to me.

The only criticism I have at the moment is the clutch, I am finding it very difficult to get a smooth change in 1st and 2nd gear. I can see other users on here have complained of a high/difficult clutch. Any tips on better gear changes?

Downside to the panoramic roof; I would rather sit in the back than the front!

#2 ·
Hi MaroonBells. Congrats on your purchase. Wish my little 82 was a 110. Maybe next time :)

We did our first longer journey in ours this weekend - 300 miles round trip to Dorset. I don't find the 1st/2nd gearchange too hard but I've noticed that I'm struggling to learn how to pull away smoothly, especially from a slow-speed rolling start.

I also noticed that in stop/start traffic it was really hard to feather the throttle smoothly at really slow speeds. I was trying to keep my foot perfectly still on the accelerator pedal and it still was on/off the power, like the engine was hunting. I usually try to drive really smoothly and I did find this frustrating.

So I'm not convinced that the clutch is causing me problems but I'm not finding it an easy car to drive smoothly at low speeds. It's not just because it's a light car and a low-powered engine because I don't find my wife's Fiat 500 hard to drive. My suspicion is that the accelerator pedal rheostat has a sharp on/off profile at the very beginning of its travel, and the return spring is very light so it's a bit hard to judge how much pressure I'm applying when I'm trying to press it gently.

#3 ·
I totally agree with what you are saying SiliconS, I find it a bit juddery when I try to pull off slowly, it's not easy. I think it is also quite highly geared so maybe that contributes to the difficulties at slow speed. I thought that the 82 might have made it smoother as the 110 is very torquey when the turbo cuts in.

If it wasn't for this small thing then it would be perfect!!

#5 ·
Think you are unlucky, no issues with our 110 on either the clutch or the throttle. There's three of us in out household sharing it and all remain delighted with how easy it is to drive.

Perhaps if you can find another one locally (Citroen dealer?) so you could see how your's compares?

#7 ·
I've had my 110 for over a year now and still struggle get a smooth change from first to second. Think this is caused by the high bite point on the clutch and this making it easy to get back on the power too soon when changing gear quickly. This is my only real negative about how the car drives but it does sometimes make it hard work in stop-start urban driving.

The only way around it in my experience is very slow and deliberate changes from first to second (slight pause after releasing clutch before accelerating again). This can get a bit hairy on fast roundabouts etc though!

#8 ·
jono said:
I've had my 110 for over a year now and still struggle get a smooth change from first to second. Think this is caused by the high bite point on the clutch and this making it easy to get back on the power too soon when changing gear quickly. This is my only real negative about how the car drives but it does sometimes make it hard work in stop-start urban driving.

The only way around it in my experience is very slow and deliberate changes from first to second (slight pause after releasing clutch before accelerating again). This can get a bit hairy on fast roundabouts etc though!
Our auto does occasionally feel as if it is doing the same, that is a very slight lag between first and second, takes a little getting used to but the power always appears in time.

#9 ·
Is this something to do with the 110 ?

I have the 1.6 100 diesel and clutch and pulling away are lovely and smooth. Plus crawling at 5mph in traffic using no throttle is fantastic...... just pull away as normal then take feet off pedals and it sits rock solid at walking pace -exactly 5mph

#10 ·
JohnYoung said:
Is this something to do with the 110 ?

I have the 1.6 100 diesel and clutch and pulling away are lovely and smooth. Plus crawling at 5mph in traffic using no throttle is fantastic...... just pull away as normal then take feet off pedals and it sits rock solid at walking pace -exactly 5mph
Not with my 110!! It's just like your HDi , no clutch or gearbox problems and 5 mph with no throttle :)

#11 ·
We've got a 110 and neither me or wifey have any issues on slow moving. There is one thing that could cause it and that is, we're all different, we've all got different driving styles. All different sizes etc etc, so if you aren't absolutely 'perfect' to the car some will find things a little awkward. Not many can get in a fresh car and not find something 'not quite right' because of positioning. ;) Just a theory thats all. :D

#13 ·
Coypars said:
Hi I have 82 and find it perfectly adequate and no buffering on clutch.It does have a high biting point though.
Hi Coypars I know it's a while since this post is your clutch still ok and working fine. The only reason I ask is because the one I bought 82 petrol also had a high biting point, just wondered if it was an issue or fairly normal..... hope everything is still ok and you can put my mind at rest :roll:

#15 ·
Hi Coypars thats great to hear.....after the test drive that was my only concern. Everything else seemed fine, it was just that my toyota has quite an early/low biting point.

Looking forward to picking it up even more now......feel like a kid at christmas, just two more sleepless nights before pick up :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.