Need a rev counter and water temp? Read this!

All C4 Cactus related discussions
berapotter

Re: Need a rev counter and water temp? Read this!

Post by berapotter » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:16 pm

Dunno, I used to do a bit of driving, always found rev counter, water temp and oil pressure useful to know! Stops you killing the engine
C4 Black Flair 110 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s.

Mrsstuzilla

Post by Mrsstuzilla » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:36 pm

I personally don't think a rev counter is that important when you can hear if the engine is happy or not, but I reckon a temp gauge would come in handy.
Claire 8-)

ThomasRath

Post by ThomasRath » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:23 pm

Yes...and an oil-temp...and ditto-pressure....and amps.....and - ehhh have i seen other guages anywhere...

Well, personally I've never had the need for a rev-counter - or any of the other...I never use my car for competition ;-)
Greetings from Denmark.
Cactus since june 15

History:
205, Xantia, BX, Berlingo, Xsara Picasso.

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:27 pm

I would also like a rev counter as I have said before

Great for hills and not over revving a cold engine. Engine noise can be deceiving as some sound like you are revving the guts out when you are not and vise-versa. when you do have a rev counter you do get to know how hard you can push the engine from the reading and the sound and might then not need a rev counter but you do need that base level to start and with the cactus we just don't know as we don't have the rec counter to start with.

I am not talking about racing in the cactus just general driving

Primekart

Post by Primekart » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:35 am

As i have mentioned before, i also thought that i need a temperature gauge and RPM gauge. But after a while i have noticed that they are redundant. The engine temperature is quite static ( you have a warning light and beeper anyway) and i rarely rev the engine over 4500 RPM as they are kept low thanks to a very high ratio gearbox. 100 kph in 5th at 2200 RPM.
In my car, 1st is 3.455, 2nd is 1.86, 3rd is 1.155 (almost direct ratio!) 4th and 5th are overdrive ratios! 0.822 and 0.656 respectively. Differential ratio is 4.052. This car is a cruiser not a racer.
I warmly suggest to you to purchase a dongle and monitor your engine, but you can stop monitoring as soon as you get familiar with your engine.
BMW Car Club Israel

www.facebook.com/groups/BMWClubIsrael

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:49 am

I already stated my opinion that I don't think a rev counter is required. If you do need one, maybe you should buy a different car, not a Cactus.
Last edited by The2ems on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PureTec 82 manual, 2018, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

Dadioglasgow

Post by Dadioglasgow » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:52 am

NickKK wrote:
Dadioglasgow wrote:The Cactus has a built in rev limiter, so it is unlikely you would be able to exceed the maximum permitted rpm even if you tried...
Dadio, where have you seen that information?
Does it mean, that it is impossible to turn up rev in any gear, so much it would have damaged the engine?
Does this apply to all models (engines)?
All diesel cars used to have a speed limiter as standard - part of the old MOT smoke test involved revving the engine until the rev limiter cut in - there was a warning to ensure your engine was in good condition and the cam belt OK before submitting to the test.

Nowadays the rev limiter is part of the ECU software for all cars - petrol and diesel. Normally, the only way of raising the rev limit is by a remap using a tuning chip. The old days of advance/retard controlled by weights and springs in the distributor is long gone - along with many other things.
Cactus Flair e-HDi92 ETG6 - Lagoon Blue

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:58 am

Primekart wrote:As i have mentioned before, i also thought that i need a temperature gauge and RPM gauge. But after a while i have noticed that they are redundant. The engine temperature is quite static ( you have a warning light and beeper anyway) and i rarely rev the engine over 4500 RPM as they are kept low thanks to a very high ratio gearbox. 100 kph in 5th at 2200 RPM.
In my car, 1st is 3.455, 2nd is 1.86, 3rd is 1.155 (almost direct ratio!) 4th and 5th are overdrive ratios! 0.822 and 0.656 respectively. Differential ratio is 4.052. This car is a cruiser not a racer.
I warmly suggest to you to purchase a dongle and monitor your engine, but you can stop monitoring as soon as you get familiar with your engine.

Yeah exactly once you know your rev range by the dongle (or fitted rev counter if it had one) you no longer need to use the rev counter as much and just use your ears.

But the rev limiter is a great thing as long as it kicks in early enough before any damage is caused :)

Primekart

Post by Primekart » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:50 am

Max RPM for the 110HP Turbo are 6400. That's when the limiter should cut off ignition.
BMW Car Club Israel

www.facebook.com/groups/BMWClubIsrael

SiliconS

Post by SiliconS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:45 pm

The2ems wrote:I already stated my opinion that I don't think a rev counter is required. If you do need one, maybe you should by a different car, not a Cactus.
Thanks for your opinion.
In mine, a rev-counter and temp gauge provides extra info that a mechanically-sympathetic driver can find useful. If you don't care what temperature and RPM your engine's running at, maybe you should buy an electric car, not a Cactus. :)
2016 Flair 1.2/82 manual. In boring silver.