Need a rev counter and water temp? Read this!

All C4 Cactus related discussions
The2ems

Re: Need a rev counter and water temp? Read this!

Post by The2ems » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Keith wrote:After reading all the posts about rev counters I'm glad I've got an ETG. :lol:
Don't worry Keith, you wouldn't need one anyway ;)
PureTec 82 manual, 2018, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

Cactused

Post by Cactused » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:55 pm

i agree a rev-counter would be nice on the 3cyl especially. There are certain harmonics with this engine that make it difficult to figure out where in the rev-range it might be. Add in the low-down torque and you can just surf around at reall low revs (i think that's how they eeked 50+mpg out of it) but i occasionally rag the nuts off mine and it'd be nice to know a bit more info. (yes i realise it's not a sports car but i like cars)

Moro

Post by Moro » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:49 pm

From another post I got the 5th gear mph/1000, however whenever I accelerate hard the gear change indicator is so annoying - when I change up to 5th at 50mph, and also the performance shifts in the interim too! I would like to see a rev counter, but as often mentioned this is not a performance car at all, even if the 110 cracks in 60mph in under 9 seconds. Whilst I have another car for fun, this is an unfortunate consequence of Citroen deliberately deciding not to promote this car as a performance car. Maybe a new model with a 130 version of this engine (as in other PSA models) might give us a rev counter?
Flair 110S&S Arctic Silver / Grey Airbumps : Habana : Panoramic Roof : Spare Wheel

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:56 pm

The2ems wrote:
Primekart wrote:If you want to rev your engine no more than 4000 RPM, remember these numbers-

Do not drive over 21 mph in 1st ie 38 kph
Not over 39 mph in 2nd ie 63 kph
Not over 63 mph in 3rd ie 101 kph
4th and 5th ar overdrive ratios.

Calculations are for 110 HP Turbo petrol, manual gearbox, 16 in wheels.

To make it easier to remember- 20-40-60 in mph or 40-60-100 in kph. :D
Bloody hell!!! I'm in 5th gear by the time I reach 39 mph
That might turn into a post-it note on my dash. And yes, city cruising worked well in 5th gear on the turbo petrol cactus. cruise control had no trouble on overpasses or turns. My normal driving is right up to 2000 rpm when the engine is broken in.

I hear the puretech has 2 cooling circuits and warms up rather quickly so the water temp gauge might really be unnecessary. I'd still would have welcomed that blue warning light many cars seem to have now to tell you "take it easy, engine still cold".

Primekart

Post by Primekart » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:10 am

You have the "blue warning", sort of...
Just look at the S&S "button ". If it shows the yellow bar, engine is cold and the S&S system will not start.
BMW Car Club Israel

www.facebook.com/groups/BMWClubIsrael

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Ok just a quick note about fitting a HUD.
1. The ODB2 socket is on the passengers side on the UK model.
2. Autodata shows it to be on the steering column, it's not. Your local non dealer garage might need to know this at some point
3. The lead supplied with my X5 model is ridiculously short, so you will need an extension male to female ODB2 cable
4. It will need to be a 90 degree flat socket (£3.99 Amazon) because the panel won't fit back properly with a standard cable fitted.
Just thought I'd share!
C4 Black Flair 110 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:03 pm

berapotter wrote:Ok just a quick note about fitting a HUD.
1. The ODB2 socket is on the passengers side on the UK model.
2. Autodata shows it to be on the steering column, it's not. Your local non dealer garage might need to know this at some point
3. The lead supplied with my X5 model is ridiculously short, so you will need an extension male to female ODB2 cable
4. It will need to be a 90 degree flat socket (£3.99 Amazon) because the panel won't fit back properly with a standard cable fitted.
Just thought I'd share!
Makes sense for it to be on the passenger side on the right-hand drive models. Typically glove boxes can't even fit the car's manual on the UK versions because the fuse box and other stuff doesn't switch sides along with the steering wheel and pedals. Most documentation and manuals assume you have the left-hand drive version except some Japanese makers.
If you get a HUD with MPG indicator, I'd guess it gives you the number for american gallons, not british ones.
I wonder if the MPG in the cactus knows the difference between british and american gallons... even though PSA doesn't sell cars in the US, the guys who they outsourced the touch screen interface to might not know the difference.
Primekart wrote:You have the "blue warning", sort of...
Just look at the S&S "button ". If it shows the yellow bar, engine is cold and the S&S system will not start.
Nice find. It's not directly in view but better than nothing. I wish there was a menu page for displaying some basic diagnostic info like temperatures, rpm, boost pressure, tire pressures and error codes. That would be more appropriate than the calculator and calendar. :lol:

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:35 pm

I agree about the passenger side. but I thought I'd check on Autodata (which is industry std) and it clearly shows it on the right hand side.
after I took the panel off it deffo wasn't there. so I whipped the other panel off and tahdah! there it was with little or no space between the panel and the socket.
that said it all worked!

whats the percentage difference between US mpg and imperial mpg?
C4 Black Flair 110 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s.

SiliconS

Post by SiliconS » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:27 am

berapotter wrote:3. The lead supplied with my X5 model is ridiculously short, so you will need an extension male to female ODB2 cable
Thank you!
How long does the extension cable need to be? Have you been able to hide the connector between the X5 and the extension?

Where have you placed the X5 unit? I'm guessing that for the display to be in a sensible place on the screen it needs to be on the forward raised part of the dash, near the air vent? If so, that's a shame because if it could be just in front of the speedo screen it'd be invisible to the driver.
2016 Flair 1.2/82 manual. In boring silver.

carson

Post by carson » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:32 pm

dadio,
you have clarified my thinking. I will not now be buying a new cactus.