Need a rev counter and water temp? Read this!

All C4 Cactus related discussions
SiliconS

Re: Need a rev counter and water temp? Read this!

Post by SiliconS » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:15 pm

OK, I've got an X5 unit now and set it up last night. It's great! Bit of a novelty but it works perfectly. I've set it to show engine temp below the revcounter scale. (84 degrees in this photo.)

The OBD cable isn't long enough, so you will need an extension with a low-profile plug.

It's just about bright enough in sunlight. Sits neatly at the bottom of the screen, where the display is visible without being intrusive. For £17 delivered it's well worth it. My only criticism is that the revcounter markings are quite coarse (every 250), which means at low engine speeds you can't see much detail. But it helps me to discover the minimum speed available in each gear, and when to change up.

I haven't discovered the rev limiter in this car yet, but over 4k rpm it sounds like it's getting close!
2016 Flair 1.2/82 manual. In boring silver.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:49 pm

Well done, the pictures are really much appreciated. Here's what I found out about the X5 unit using it in my current car (Peugeot 207 CC, oddly enough built side-by-side with the C4 cactus in the same factory):

1) Didn't think it was possible to put the cover back on with the OBD cable plugged in. But those ultra cheap cables from Hong Kong did the trick, just put the excess cable in there with all the other wires and put the lid on.

2) The default multipliers for rpm and speed are set too high (so people don't speed). When I set the multiplier for speed to 100, it exactly matches the GPS numbers. If set by default, it read 160 when I was going 140 kph... yikes. Keep in mind the car's electronics doesn't know how big the tires are so the accurate multiplier for the shown speed might be anywhere between 98 and 102%, set it to something higher than 100 if you're not sure. 100% for the rpm appears to be dead on accurate for me, right up to the red line.

3) Hold the rocker-switch up to mute the speaker. That also makes the volume indicator disappear which cleans up the information a bit and it doesn't beep at you when you surpass 7500 rpm (the max rpm you can set for the alert is "75" which is 7500 rpm and that factors in the multiplier (117% by default), so in reality it's much lower.

4) If your mom is in the passenger seat, lower the multiplier for speed. :-p

5) The reflections from the sun and tunnel lighting is slightly less annoying when you take the screen protector off.

6) You might want to set an alarm on the rpm right above 5500 rpm for the turbo petrol. According to this site, 5500 rpm is where this this engine has max horsepower: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2 ... ochic.html

7) Use this HUD display to learn the car and get the most out of it. It is actually quite fun to drive when you know it well. It can be distracting and the cactus is all about taking distractions away.

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:33 pm

Good info there!
Thanks for sharing your observations!
C4 Black Flair 110 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s.

SiliconS

Post by SiliconS » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:45 am

Crowbar wrote:According to this site, 5500 rpm is where this this engine has max horsepower: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2 ... ochic.html
Thanks for that link. Here's the chart for my Puretech 82 engine. Peak torque is 2500rpm upwards:
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve ... ch_82.html :geek:
2016 Flair 1.2/82 manual. In boring silver.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:58 am

SiliconS wrote:
Crowbar wrote:According to this site, 5500 rpm is where this this engine has max horsepower: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2 ... ochic.html
Thanks for that link. Here's the chart for my Puretech 82 engine. Peak torque is 2500rpm upwards:
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve ... ch_82.html :geek:
Thanks, I thought I saw torque curves on that website somewhere. Here's the ones for the 110:
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve ... h_110.html

Too bad they don't have the redline numbers. I guess what they do is just look at where the red mark on the actual tachometer starts. Attached is a pic of a Ford F-150 pickup truck. "No redline, it just revs forever". :D

Looks like peak power for the 82PS is 5750 and 5500 for the 110PS (it says it on the top of the chart).

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 08.56.14 .png

Hawkmoon230

Post by Hawkmoon230 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:45 am

NickKK wrote:
Dadioglasgow wrote:The Cactus has a built in rev limiter, so it is unlikely you would be able to exceed the maximum permitted rpm even if you tried...
Dadio, where have you seen that information?
Does it mean, that it is impossible to turn up rev in any gear, so much it would have damaged the engine?
Does this apply to all models (engines)?

Kinda yes with all modern engines the throttle is not mechanical and the engine management system limits the revs, in my current car I can drive with my foot flat and each time I push down the clutch the revs leap to 6.5k and stay there until I come off the clutch. It's an Aygo by the way (I am looking at switching to a Cactus atm).

Primekart

Post by Primekart » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:03 pm

I have calculated the red line for the Turbo Petrol 110 HP and it is 6400 RPM.
BMW Car Club Israel

www.facebook.com/groups/BMWClubIsrael

cactuslarisa

Post by cactuslarisa » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Rip Curl 1.6 BlueHDi 100 S&S Olive Brown (Tapenade Grey) Without sunroof

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Its a shame we have to mess around like this why does Citroen no fit a rev-counter its pretty basic and even the new 2018 model does not have one :?

cactuslarisa

Post by cactuslarisa » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:56 pm

You're right, mostly i like gadgets
Rip Curl 1.6 BlueHDi 100 S&S Olive Brown (Tapenade Grey) Without sunroof