Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

1st gear judder problems, normal ???

21K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Rubik 
#1 ·
Hello
Just got my new c4 Cactus, everything is fine except that when pulling out of a junction the engine seems to hate reving in first gear, like its too much for it, it is the basic engine but should be better and not judder.
I drive multiple cars at work, none are lime this.
Help, anyone else noticed it, Citroen dealer said no mechanic available to look at itright now??

#6 ·
Older topic I know, but my Cactus has recently started to suffer from clutch judder when pulling away in 1st gear. It's on 5000 miles now and have noticed it occasionally in the past, but it's doing it more now than it has done before. I will get the dealer to look at it but anyone else noticed this problem? The car is a petrol engine model and has always had a bit of vibration as revs are applied when pulling away, not bothered me much, seems to be a quirk of the car, but this judder is very annoying. I don't know if my driving style is a contributing factor, I doubt it, but I've always found it tricky to get a smooth gear change from 1st to 2nd. I do love the Cactus, but I'm thinking if I get another one I'll go for an automatic next time!

#7 ·
I have a 65 plate 1.2 C4 Cactus Auto, and i'm having an issue with judder when starting off. I've just had the car serviced (with ECU firmware updated) and it still judders. The mechanic thinks it might be the clutch, but the service desk told me that Citroen may not accept it as a warranty issue if there is no sign of 'fault' when the clutch is removed :( -upshot is... I have to take the risk and foot the £600 bill if Citroen decide not to cover it. :? :shock:

Not what I'd expect at all.. for a two yr old car thats only done 15k :cry:

Not sure what encouragement there is to buy a new car anymore if warranty repairs are a throw of the dice as to whether they will pay...

UPDATE Just spoke to Citroen customer care, they will look into it and let me know what they think within a couple of days.. here's hoping they will honor the warranty without quibble this time...

Otherwise, its probably the last Citroen I will buy :(

#8 ·
I changed my Cactus 1.2 ETG after 18 months due to this problem. I could not live with it. I now have a 110 manual no problems. A few months after I bought it they introduced a proper auto. that I would have preferred. I wish car producers would just introduce a well thought out range and only occasionally update it.

#9 ·
Angus said:
I wish car producers would just introduce a well thought out range and only occasionally update it.
Manufacturers develop the model range to suit but developments in technology and the market needs/ desires. The ETG transmission fits with the lower cost base of the Cactus and the EAT6 had restricted supply when the Cactus was introduced, now it has full production it's the gearbox being used but as you can see from the price lists, it's not as cheap as the ETG meaning putting it on the 82bhp 1.2 is highly unlikely.

#10 ·
Mach13 said:
UPDATE Just spoke to Citroen customer care, they will look into it and let me know what they think within a couple of days.. here's hoping they will honor the warranty without quibble this time...
Citroen Customer Care were not helpful AT ALL. (Sad face) they just kept referring me back to the dealership (Incredibly frustrating!)

BUT Kudos to the dealership for resolving this for me. They took the risk, booked it in without any more of this "you have to sign to accept costs and take the risk" business and replaced the clutch under warranty.. they gave me a courtesy car and even cleaned and valeted the car for me. It now drives smoothly and the grin is back on my face when I drive it. :)

#14 ·
I had clutch judder problems starting when the car was about 2.5 years old. I took it into the Citroen garage before the warranty expired and they told me the problems did not present so they can do nothing. Now it is getting worse and they tell me if I want them to look it will cost £500 just to take the clutch out to check anything. Pretty angry to be honest as clearly this is a common fault with this model yet they accept no responsibility to fix it. So do I just live with it and hope my car doesn't collapse on me on the motorway or fork out loads of money to get it fixed?? Very unfair.

#15 ·
Clutch judder is an unbalanced clutch disc/clutch pressure plate or bevelled flywheel, and appears in most dry clutch applications whether manual or solenoid controlled gear boxes. This should not happen to a solenoid/ pre-select gearbox.

So get citroen to look at it under your warranty. As it will only get worse, does it happen in reverse too. As that is a gearbox problem, not the clutch release mechanism.

#16 ·
CactiBhoy said:
Clutch judder is an unbalanced clutch disc/clutch pressure plate or bevelled flywheel, and appears in most dry clutch applications whether manual or solenoid controlled gear boxes. This should not happen to a solenoid/ pre-select gearbox.

So get citroen to look at it under your warranty. As it will only get worse, does it happen in reverse too. As that is a gearbox problem, not the clutch release mechanism.
Clutch judder is caused by oil on the pressure plate, clutch plate, not an unbalanced part. A seeping oil seal can cause this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.