1st gear judder problems, normal ???

All C4 Cactus related discussions
Musicteccarl

1st gear judder problems, normal ???

Post by Musicteccarl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Hello
Just got my new c4 Cactus, everything is fine except that when pulling out of a junction the engine seems to hate reving in first gear, like its too much for it, it is the basic engine but should be better and not judder.
I drive multiple cars at work, none are lime this.
Help, anyone else noticed it, Citroen dealer said no mechanic available to look at itright now??

JohnC

Re: 1st gear judder problems, normal ???

Post by JohnC » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:29 am

i have the 1.2 with the etg gearbox and do not have that problem.

Sounds like you are getting clutch judder, you need to get the dealer to check it out.
1.2 Feel etg5 in Deep Purple

Musicteccarl

Post by Musicteccarl » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Cheers, i will.

Luga

Post by Luga » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:47 pm

I don't get this but my car does seem to like to move up to 2nd very quickly,

Musicteccarl

Post by Musicteccarl » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:43 am

Ive got used to it now, its just nowhere near as smooth as my old merc 430 suto ML lol
But i do love the Cactus, just wish they had changed a few features

CactusBob

Post by CactusBob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Older topic I know, but my Cactus has recently started to suffer from clutch judder when pulling away in 1st gear. It's on 5000 miles now and have noticed it occasionally in the past, but it's doing it more now than it has done before. I will get the dealer to look at it but anyone else noticed this problem? The car is a petrol engine model and has always had a bit of vibration as revs are applied when pulling away, not bothered me much, seems to be a quirk of the car, but this judder is very annoying. I don't know if my driving style is a contributing factor, I doubt it, but I've always found it tricky to get a smooth gear change from 1st to 2nd. I do love the Cactus, but I'm thinking if I get another one I'll go for an automatic next time!

Mach13

Post by Mach13 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:57 pm

I have a 65 plate 1.2 C4 Cactus Auto, and i'm having an issue with judder when starting off. I've just had the car serviced (with ECU firmware updated) and it still judders. The mechanic thinks it might be the clutch, but the service desk told me that Citroen may not accept it as a warranty issue if there is no sign of 'fault' when the clutch is removed :( -upshot is... I have to take the risk and foot the £600 bill if Citroen decide not to cover it. :? :shock:

Not what I'd expect at all.. for a two yr old car thats only done 15k :cry:

Not sure what encouragement there is to buy a new car anymore if warranty repairs are a throw of the dice as to whether they will pay...

UPDATE Just spoke to Citroen customer care, they will look into it and let me know what they think within a couple of days.. here's hoping they will honor the warranty without quibble this time...

Otherwise, its probably the last Citroen I will buy :(

Angus

Post by Angus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:29 pm

I changed my Cactus 1.2 ETG after 18 months due to this problem. I could not live with it. I now have a 110 manual no problems. A few months after I bought it they introduced a proper auto. that I would have preferred. I wish car producers would just introduce a well thought out range and only occasionally update it.
White / Black Cactus Puretech 110 S/S, Pano, Rear Camera, Black wheels.

FrankBullitt

Post by FrankBullitt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:43 am

Angus wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:29 pm
I wish car producers would just introduce a well thought out range and only occasionally update it.
Manufacturers develop the model range to suit but developments in technology and the market needs/ desires. The ETG transmission fits with the lower cost base of the Cactus and the EAT6 had restricted supply when the Cactus was introduced, now it has full production it's the gearbox being used but as you can see from the price lists, it's not as cheap as the ETG meaning putting it on the 82bhp 1.2 is highly unlikely.

Mach13

Post by Mach13 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Mach13 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:57 pm
UPDATE Just spoke to Citroen customer care, they will look into it and let me know what they think within a couple of days.. here's hoping they will honor the warranty without quibble this time...
Citroen Customer Care were not helpful AT ALL. (Sad face) they just kept referring me back to the dealership (Incredibly frustrating!)

BUT Kudos to the dealership for resolving this for me. They took the risk, booked it in without any more of this "you have to sign to accept costs and take the risk" business and replaced the clutch under warranty.. they gave me a courtesy car and even cleaned and valeted the car for me. It now drives smoothly and the grin is back on my face when I drive it. :)

Return to “Main C4 Cactus chat”