USB - Error Unreadable disk

All C4 Cactus related discussions
adz

USB - Error Unreadable disk

Post by adz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi,

I've 16 plate cactus and I'm having issues with playing mp3 files. I have a FAT32 formatted usb stick and the folders and file names have all been cleaned of unwanted characters. However, when I try to play some or any of them I get the error "Unreadable disk". The system does read the stick and display album art and lists but fails to play some or errors out half way through look through or playing.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Primekart

Re: USB - Error Unreadable disk

Post by Primekart » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Too many folders slow the unit's reaction time enormously. Try another USB Flash Driver with one file and see if the unit recognizes and plays the song.
If it does, then load the driver with only 3 folders, 1-3 files in each and see the reaction time. If the unit plays your files, then you will have to downsize your number of folders.

Also, i suggest reading the owner's manual-

"The system builds playlists (in temporary
memory), an operation which can take from
a few seconds to several minutes at the first
connection.
Reduce the number of non-music files and the
number of folders to reduce the waiting time.
The playlists are updated every time the ignition
is switched off or connection of a USB memory
stick. However, the system memorises these
lists and if they are not modified, the loading
time will be shorter"
1.2 Puretech 110 Turbo Red with Black Airbumps and Habana interior
www.facebook.com/groups/CitroenCactusClubIL

littlejim

Post by littlejim » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Shine 1.2 Pure Tech 110, Shark Grey

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Mine won't read folders, I have to put the music files on the USB stick as is with not in folders then make a destination folder on the jukebox drive and select which MP3 files to put in that particular folder. Very laborious but don't think the jukebox is capable of looking into folders or even copying folders and their contents.
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

littlejim

Post by littlejim » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:43 am

Hi. All my music, both usb and jukebox, are in folders.
Shine 1.2 Pure Tech 110, Shark Grey

DavePickup

Post by DavePickup » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:21 am

I found using a smaller capacity USB stick (8 or 16GB) solved the problem.
Maybe if you try a full reformat as opposed to a quick reformat on your stick first and see how that is?
Cactus C4 1.2 PureTech (110) Flair
Obsidian Black
March 2016 reg

That Frank Whittle has a lot to answer for

adz

Post by adz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks for all the responses. I don't have the jukebox facility on my model, so that options is out of the window.

I'm only using a 8gb stick and still has issues with folders. So I have had to resort to all files flat in the root of the stick, which is a not the best, but is working. My next option will be to rename all the folders to 1,2,3,4 etc to cut down on file name length and see if that works.

On the stick (un-flattened) there are 88 files with a total of 1700+ files, so nothing too big.

Primekart

Post by Primekart » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:11 am

Your stick content is huge!
Try limiting the number of folders to 10-20, no more. The system's micro processing is very limited! It will take ages for the system to upload your files.
I am using a 16 GB stick with 12 folders with 200 files. It takes the system 20 seconds to upload.
Last edited by Primekart on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.2 Puretech 110 Turbo Red with Black Airbumps and Habana interior
www.facebook.com/groups/CitroenCactusClubIL

adz

Post by adz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:18 am

As you say it might be large for this system but it's user interface is designed to work with multiply folders with the album image carousel one of the main features of it, and if so is very poor oversight by the developers.

davew

Post by davew » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 am

adz wrote:As you say it might be large for this system but it's user interface is designed to work with multiply folders with the album image carousel one of the main features of it, and if so is very poor oversight by the developers.

The album art and information about the track title, album, artist etc associated with an MP3 file is embedded within the MP3 file itself as an ID3 tag (see wikipedia etc), so each file has to be read to locate this embedded data and extract the information, it is not a separate stand-alone image file.

Consequently the initial loading operation of album art takes rather more than just directly copying image files .