Daft question

All C4 Cactus related discussions
davew

Re: Daft question

Post by davew » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 pm

" If you can see lights behind you, then you are required to turn your fog lights off.."

This seems to be your interpretation of the Highway code, but the current wording is:

Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see rule 236)

Rule 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Nothing there about "If you can see lights behind you..."

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:59 pm

So those two lamps are not driving spots then, but front fog lights. Well I never.

Mine seem to come on automatically whether the 'fog' lights are turned on by the stalk or not.

I'm in the dealers tday getting the reversing camera replaced, I'll check with them.

Thanks guys.
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Well you're right, the front lamps are indeed front fog lights. I checked yesterday while having a new reversing camera fitted.
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

FrankBullitt

Post by FrankBullitt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:58 pm

davew wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 pm
" If you can see lights behind you, then you are required to turn your fog lights off.."

This seems to be your interpretation of the Highway code, but the current wording is:

Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see rule 236)

Rule 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Nothing there about "If you can see lights behind you..."
Something that wasn't otherwise visible is now visible, ergo visibility has now improved - its really not rocket-science but I appreciate not everyone will understand the overly obvious correlation.

Of course I didn't take the time to research and quote the Highway Code verbatim because, put simply, I am not that sad.

Keep it simple, turn off the rear fog lights when there is a car visible behind you as visibility has improved.

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:02 am

I've never been behind a car yet where it's fog lights were bright enough to dazzle me. Dodgy front headlights, or cars with only one headlight and the other left on full beam to compensate, well ........

Tequila

Post by Tequila » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 am

Adrian wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 am
FarmerR wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 am
One twist - front. Two twists - front and rear
Now to me thats wrong. I dont mean what youve said, but the method Citroen used. The rear fogs in my opinion are the ones that should be first then the front fog lights as a secondary option. Because in any kind of fog you will always want the rear ones on, however youd only find the front ones useful while driving down country lanes or slower side roads to see the kerb, corners, etc in dense fog.
Except, to be polite and safe, i turn my rear fogs off when there is another vehicle behind me (assuming, of course, i am confident they have seen me!).

Robinmasters

Post by Robinmasters » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:20 pm

littlejim wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:27 pm
"philosophically speaking, you will never be at the front of a queue, nor at the rear, but always in the middle."

Then why am I always the last in any queue ?? :lol:
You're not the last, you're just a very, very long way in front of the person behind you.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 am

Does anyone have the foggiest? :lol:
1.6HDi Flair Edition.
Born 1st Feb 2017, Obsidian Black, Black Bumps & Wheels, Black Leather, Stone Grey ambience, Pano Roof. (19k miles @ 58mpg)

Hammy

Post by Hammy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:34 am

Ron wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 am
Does anyone have the foggiest? :lol:
:lol:

I use rear fog lights when there is fog. I don't use by choice front fog lights when there is fog as all it does is brighten the fog and reduce visibility further...i prefer dipped beam. However Citroen in their wisdom put front fogs on first before rears so you have no choice.

When fog is clearing...i turn them off.

Simple as that and doesn't require a great deal of effort to think about.

I use front fog lights on dark country roads at night as this improves visibility...this I can see the sense in making the switch front first and in the spirit of reduced visibility according to highway code.

All our previous cars and current 'other non citroen' cars have separate switches for front and rear fogs...which is a better idea imho.

Jukebox

Post by Jukebox » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:16 am

"I don't use by choice front fog lights when there is fog as all it does is brighten the fog and reduce visibility further"

am I right in thinking that is why, in the old days, the French used yellow fogs because they penetrate the fog better?
Flair 1.2(82) white n' black 17"alloys

Return to “Main C4 Cactus chat”