Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Sat nav

17K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  paully 
#1 ·
I used the sat nav for the first time yesterday.

Very easy to set up the destination etc.

However, when I was almost at my destination I went sailing past, so had to leave at the next exit and go back.

It hadn't found the destination.

So giving it the benefit of the doubt, and the possibility of human error I put my neighbours address in for the return journey.

LOL it would have totally ignored that and sent me further on probably until I drove off at Lands End.

Totally useless.

G
#5 ·
On reflection as I don't often use mine I did notice on a few times that I've used it through areas that I know it that is has told me to turn right vocally well after I've actually turned right, so I just keep an eye on the map itself or only turn it on in unknown territory.

#6 ·
Interesting, I found the voice prompts too frequent to the point of being destracting, particularly the "keep right" as in carry on doing what you are managing to do so now have the voice deactivated and only use the on-screen prompts.

#7 ·
I'm a complete satnav addict. I even have it on when I know where I'm going because I like to see the gps map of my surroundings. I've had Garmin and TomTom. All of them have odd quirks. Im quite happy with this Cactus one.

#8 ·
I find the satnav impossible to programme a destination! If I reach somewhere, I can "Save Location", but I have to get there with the smartphone, which defeats the purpose of having one built into the car. It does not recognise Irish postcodes, and is very awkward and timeconsuming to try to type an address into. Have given up on it and consider it the worst feature on the car.

#9 ·
Pvanv said:
I find the satnav impossible to programme a destination! If I reach somewhere, I can "Save Location", but I have to get there with the smartphone, which defeats the purpose of having one built into the car. It does not recognise Irish postcodes, and is very awkward and timeconsuming to try to type an address into. Have given up on it and consider it the worst feature on the car.
Have you entered the country first? The Cactus satnav is the first one I have ever had where each country in the UK has to be chosen before the address is entered! If the address in in England, which it defaults to, it's ok, but if I want to find somewhere in Wales, even though I have the correct postcode, if I don't choose Wales as the country first, it will tell me it can't find the postcode. Stupid, but onve you know, it works...

#11 ·
cactuslarisa said:
The best way i found to programming the sat nav is to find position, i want to go, in the smartphone then convert DD to DMS, with excel, and put DMS position to the sat nav.
ok, er what`s that in English? :lol: ...honestly I find smartphones next to useless as a sat nav. The screen is too small to see whats what and it kills the battery. The Cactus sat nav is easier to programme than my Garmin, sure not as intuitive or comprehensive, but for a quick reference on board system, even from first impressions, its fine. Oh and a nice big screen to boot :lol:

#13 ·
srperry said:
It's far easier just to use the postcode. It does work! :)
Sorry for my English, but aren't my mother language and probably you misunderstood me.
I'm referring to the accuracy of the point you want to go.
At least here in Greece when i use postcode and address i have about 50 to 100 meters divergence.
For example when i want to go to a point in a country side or in an adresss in the city it's easier for me to mark the exactly point in my smartphone and then tranfer the coordinates, from DD in smartphone to DMS in CACTUS sat nav, and then of course continue to use the sat nav in CACTUS.
I hope to became more understandable.

#16 ·
Pvanv said:
Agreed, I thinks its an appalling sat nav system and easily the worst I've used and it often struggles to find places I'm trying to get to, even with the postcode/city tip. As stated by others, I use Google Maps/Drive on my smartphone to direct me.

#17 ·
Inchy said:
Agreed, I thinks its an appalling sat nav system and easily the worst I've used and it often struggles to find places I'm trying to get to, even with the postcode/city tip. As stated by others, I use Google Maps/Drive on my smartphone to direct me.
Which in-car satnavs are better would you say? The in-house car sat navs (integrated into the vehicle Infotainment package) I have come across all seem rather clunky in terms of user interface in comparison with a hand held Tom Tom or a phone app such as WAZE.

A Garmin handheld I had a few years ago was rather clunky but had the advantage of being able to accept a SD card loaded with an appropriately formatted map, and was useful in Cyprus which at the time was not included in the mapping area of my Tom-Tom .

I believe there are some in-car ones which are derived from Tom Tom and presumably these are user-friendly.

#18 ·
By far the best that I've used is a Nissan Juke with Google's 'Send-To-Car' option. Simple, effective, accurate, it makes the system in my friend's 2016 Mercedes C-Class seem a bit wooden.

#19 ·
Inchy said:
By far the best that I've used is a Nissan Juke with Google's 'Send-To-Car' option. Simple, effective, accurate, it makes the system in my friend's 2016 Mercedes C-Class seem a bit wooden.
I'm not familiar with the Nissan or the Mercedes, but from a Nissan Juke on-line recent satnav manual it appears that it won't accept UK post code entry, so the method you outlined with a mobile phone and the Google App to provide the destination location to the Nissan satnav looks rather necessary!

#20 ·
Why don't car manufacturers do a licensing deal with Google or Garmin ? Surely that would make sense.

As it is, I think the Cactus satnav is pretty fair once you get used to how to enter destinations and waypoints etc.

#21 ·
It's the continual interruption to music/media that gets my goat.
Yes I know I need to be concentrating 100% on my driving (yeah right) but it tees me off when listening to some pithy debate on the radio and the gps cuts in and across it.
Mrs Garmin yes talks over this but hey then I get both.......

#22 ·
DavePickup said:
It's the continual interruption to music/media that gets my goat.
Yes I know I need to be concentrating 100% on my driving (yeah right) but it tees me off when listening to some pithy debate on the radio and the gps cuts in and across it.
Mrs Garmin yes talks over this but hey then I get both.......
You could disable satnav voice during pithy debate :)

#25 ·
Very happy with our sat-nav and it actually got us to a family members address that was very hard to get to. They told us if we get lost to phone them as no sat-nav can ever find them - it took us right to their door.

You do have to be aware sometimes though as it will say stuff like turn right when its just a right hand bend

#26 ·
Bought one of these Zenkodo...because the standard sucker mount doesn't seal.

AmazonBasics GPS Dashboard Mount for Garmin, TomTom, Magellan and Other Portable GPS Navigators
Weighted anti-slip bottom
Flexible to fit any dashboard
Securely holds GPS in place
Compatible with all types of window suction mounts
I'll post a pic tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.