Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Update for tryes

10K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  JohnYoung 
#1 ·
For anyone replacing tyres. I know this has been covered before but I would just like to say that at 25'000 miles I have just replaced my front tyres (backs still ok for a few more thousand miles). My cactus is fitted with the Goodyear efficient grip with rim protectors and they are still available along side the efficient grip performance tyres . I have put the rim protectors on as they have saved damaging the alloys on numerous occasions and have found the grip to be fantastic right down to the wear indicators. Will swap the fronts to the back when replacing the original ba k tyres as I have done on all past cars.

#2 ·
You must be some spirited driving if you're down to the wear indicators after just 25k miles. That little turbo engine is fun indeed.
Careful with putting worn tyres on the back, you want the rears to have some of the longitudinal trenches left so they track straight on wet roads and not start aquaplaning before the front tyres do. I personally wouldn't go lower than 2.5 millimeters of tread on summer tyres. Except if there's absolutely zero chances of rain and the new tyres are on their way, then go ahead and have some fun at every opportunity.

#5 ·
Mainly to stop the back end coming round. Less tread and lower weight on the back when braking means loss of grip when its wet(aqua planing). It's the tread depth that clears water. More tread depth more water moved!
Better to understeer at the front than oversteer from the back.
Some research has shown that anything less than 3mm on the back tyres reduces grip by something like 70%.
So new tyres on the back older ones on the front.

#6 ·
berapotter said:
Mainly to stop the back end coming round. Less tread and lower weight on the back when braking means loss of grip when its wet(aqua planing). It's the tread depth that clears water. More tread depth more water moved!
Better to understeer at the front than oversteer from the back.
Some research has shown that anything less than 3mm on the back tyres reduces grip by something like 70%.
So new tyres on the back older ones on the front.
Ahhhh - thanks that actually does make sense

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for info :) I don't like mixed makes on my wheels :( I find it difficult to accept a Continental on my rear near side due to it being only type available when I had to have an urgent replacement for an unrepairable double puncture :( :(
Can't wait to have new set of Michelins. Despite going for a Feel I was disappointed to get Goodyears on my 16" :(

#9 ·
As an adendum to previous post.
New at the back means that you don't end up with really old rubber at the back if you assume you would get through perhaps 3 pairs on the front to 1 pair on the back.
So that reduces the risk of tyre failure and punctures as well as giving a smoother and quieter ride.

#13 ·
The newish Michelin Cross Climates are a real game changer. I fitted them to my C4 and it transformed the road holding, they are quiet and give you confidence in adverse weather conditions..oh and very compatible with French cars😀

#15 ·
Got mine from ATS, as they are owned by Michelin and often do good deals. Also have a look at Black Circle and other online sellers. Honest John site raves about the cross climates. British Gas have retrofitted their fleet with them as have many Police Forces.

#16 ·
paully said:
Got mine from ATS, as they are owned by Michelin and often do good deals. Also have a look at Black Circle and other online sellers. Honest John site raves about the cross climates. British Gas have retrofitted their fleet with them as have many Police Forces.
Crikey - not cheap at £131 each :eek: at ATS

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance £95 at Halfords and a Dunlop at about that price to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.