Ds3 to Cactus....maybe

All C4 Cactus related discussions
minimike

Ds3 to Cactus....maybe

Post by minimike » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 pm

The wife has written off out Dsport + EHdi today in the snow. It has been a fantastic car. Brilliant drive and so cheap to run.

So what to get next? I have admired the Cactus for a while but the DS3 never gave a good reason for us to trade it in. That said the family is getting bigger and 5 doors would be miles better. I am struggling though as I am unsure wether to stick with the diesel or change to petrol. In light of all the recent bad press about diesel, it would seem an obvious choice BUT we do 30k a year.

It would be a used car and kept for a few years so maybe any concerns about future value are unjustified. What do you think?

I am a bit gutted about no 6th gear, this was great in the DS as we do a lot of driving over the pennies on the M62. The cactus does seem great value. Maybe after the snow I should be looking at a Rip Curl for the grip control, is it worth it?

Cheers, Mike.

rob13

Re: Ds3 to Cactus....maybe

Post by rob13 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:46 pm

ignore the bad press - buy whatever car suits your needs. high miles and paying for your own fuel the diesel makes sense IMO. used cactus are great value for money, especially with the new model coming out, expect great deals as dealers want to shift old stock - future value, well you can't have it both ways :)

in snow its the tyres that make all the difference. check out youtube for 2wd cars with winter tyres outperforming 4wd cars on summer tyres. i'm looking to get a 2018 cactus, currently running a 2016 octavia - i use winter tyres in the cold months - this car will go through any snowy conditions without the need for any clever traction control, the tyres is the answer.

FrankBullitt

Post by FrankBullitt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:10 pm

The Cactus having 5 gears doesn’t cause you an issue when cruising as 5th in the 5-speed box is pretty close to 6th in the 6-speed box - what it does have is wider spacds ratios which mean 4th is too long for 30mph (where as your DS3 will happily sit in 4th at 30), but it’s lighter and having driven a C4 Cactus Blue HDi back-to-back with our 115bhp DS4 it was certainly sprightly enough.

Doing 30kpa if you buy any car it will be worth naff all in 3 years so I wouldn’t worry about the concerns over Diesel, especially as Diesel Cacti already seem to be similar used price to petrol ones - take the economy savings

By the way, hope your wife is okay!

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 pm

We have the diesel cactus 100bhp and its been brilliant. Yes a 6th gear would be nice but I have never really missed it (missed rev counter more)

We have been all over the country in ours and its always been great and superb on fuel. We joke about not remembering when we last filled it up

Wait for the new model due out soon this year. There is going to be a 6 speed and more powerful engine and more comfortable than the old which is already comfortable

minimike

Post by minimike » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks guys,

I'm hoping to take advantage of the glut of used cars that will come onto the market anytime due to the reg change. I am now convinced that diesel will be the best option for us. Like you say it's not going to be worth much with 100k on after 3 years anyway. Still awesome value especially used.

My wife's fine. Her only injury is a bruised big toe.....I think the pedal box collapsed like its designed to and nipped her?

The DS3 has gone already. Churchill said it would be next week before green flag would get to it and it was dreadful weather, but it's not there any more. I'm amazed. Unless it's been nicked!

IMG_0505.jpg

rob13

Post by rob13 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:17 am

if it was on a main road then emergency services probably removed it as it would be a hazard to others if it stayed there

minimike

Post by minimike » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:23 pm

No, green flag have taken it...but they don't know where at the moment. Brilliant!

VinceMarsters

Post by VinceMarsters » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:28 pm

That sounds like when I had a car nicked and striped (was always going to be written off with the amount taken). The salvage company took it straight to the scrapyard not the inspection area. 2 days later they called to find out if I still had it as they didn't couldn't find it - until I suggested they check their own yard properly.

minimike

Post by minimike » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:37 pm

So an update......DS3 has been declared a total loss by the garage BUT I have to wait for an Engineer to call me with confirmation and the offer to settle. Hopefully it should be this week. In the mean time I have put a deposit (refundable in the unlikely event that mDS3 becomes repairable) on a diesel manual '66 Black/Black Cactus Flair 6500 miles,with red accents& mirrors, half leather and panoramic roof. Looking forward to picking it up later in the week (fingers crossed).

minimike

Post by minimike » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Everything went to plan. Ds3 was declared a total loss and we picked up our new Cactus on Thursday. After getting home I noticed that the space saver was missing. Citroen confirmed the car had one when new and the garage provided one FOC. The salesman even delivered it to my house!

Done a couple of trips and am enjoying the car. Sat Nav. was a bit of a faf until I deleted everything and got familiar with programming it. A bonus was that the car also has the front parking sensors and auto parking feature. I didn't realise this until I was at home with it. It seems the garage didn't really know much about the car, and how well specified it was. I think it was a bargain!

/Users/michaelhall/Desktop/IMG_0531.JPG
/Users/michaelhall/Desktop/IMG_0532.JPG
/Users/michaelhall/Desktop/IMG_0524.JPG
/Users/michaelhall/Desktop/IMG_0530.JPG

Return to “Main C4 Cactus chat”