New model suspension

All C4 Cactus related discussions
stocklord63

New model suspension

Post by stocklord63 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi, I have just taken delivery of a Flair 110 6 speed on a 3 year lease, and have two major gripes:

1. No connectivity due to third party funder. I should have read the small print, but does anyone know if the Citroen emergency assist and breakdown assist, located by the rear-view mirror, are active?

2. I have noticed a real thump from the rear if I go over a speed bump at 20mph, the whole point of this car is to float over these obstacles. Has anyone else noticed this? Left rear axle seems to be worse than right. The full-width smoother speedbumps are ok, but the small ones, if one wheel goes over the middle, is terrible. It is a noticeably loud thump, worse than I've had on any previous car, which seems to defeat the object.

Any thought welcome, thanks.

davew

Re: New model suspension

Post by davew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm

stocklord63 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 pm
Hi, I have just taken delivery of a Flair 110 6 speed on a 3 year lease, and have two major gripes:

1. No connectivity due to third party funder. I should have read the small print, but does anyone know if the Citroen emergency assist and breakdown assist, located by the rear-view mirror, are active?

2. I have noticed a real thump from the rear if I go over a speed bump at 20mph, the whole point of this car is to float over these obstacles. Has anyone else noticed this? Left rear axle seems to be worse than right. The full-width smoother speedbumps are ok, but the small ones, if one wheel goes over the middle, is terrible. It is a noticeably loud thump, worse than I've had on any previous car, which seems to defeat the object.

Any thought welcome, thanks.
Your comments about ride quality seem to echo those from this post
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3515

On the other hand this 2018 review by a "motoring professional" (?) is full of praise for the ride comfort.
https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-re ... 18-review/

hellooo

Post by hellooo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:11 pm

I read this prior to delivery of my new model. Once tyre pressures were reduced to the correct level, I found the ride pretty decent surprisingly. Body roll feels severe compared to my other car, and the steering is massively light. After 100,000 miles in various VAG sports models, I quite like the comfort but don't have confidence to throw it through bends to the same extent.

stocklord63

Post by stocklord63 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Took it in to the dealer, it requires new rear shock absorbers. Factory fault apparently......

stocklord63

Post by stocklord63 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:02 pm

What do you mean re tyre pressures? I presumed they were set at the correct level, and thought they were monitored by the computer system.

geevo

Post by geevo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:57 pm

stocklord63 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:02 pm
What do you mean re tyre pressures? I presumed they were set at the correct level, and thought they were monitored by the computer system.
The TPMS will monitor the tyre pressures but they have to be set correctly in the first place!
Feel 110, Black on Black, Habana, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, MediaNav, Reg July 2015

hellooo

Post by hellooo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:31 pm

The tyre pressures were around 14 psi higher than recommended. It made the ride less comfortable than the correct pressures provide.

stocklord63

Post by stocklord63 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Just had the rear nearside shock replaced by the local dealer and it has made absolutely no difference. They took out another Cactus, and experienced exactly the same problem. The conclusion is that there is no fault, it's a 'characteristic of the vehicle'.

I find this absolutely ridiculous and laughable. There is a clear bang over speed bumps, the dealer acknowledges this, but says that it is a trade-off as the suspension gives a smooth ride generally. I am spitting feathers that Citroen can flog this model on the back of this amazing new suspension system, yet it is clearly faulty. I drove to pick up the car in a 2008 Astra, absolutely silent over the bumps. The dealer logged the issue with Citroen but said that unless lots of customers raise the issue, nothing will be done.

If this is a Cactus characteristic then presumably people on here must have experienced it. Please let me know as I cannot accept this on a brand new car. I will be raising the issue directly with Citroen next week.

One other point, when my wife is in the passenger seat, the issue virtually disappears. She's 8 and a half stone. What is going on?

davew

Post by davew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:10 pm

stocklord63 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:51 pm

One other point, when my wife is in the passenger seat, the issue virtually disappears. She's 8 and a half stone. What is going on?
I notice you describe the effect as "a thump" and "a clear bang". But you are not describing it as a jolt.
Is it possible that the passenger seat (without passenger) is making this thump / band?

If this is not the case then it would be interesting to know what happens without passenger but with a weight of about 30kg in the boot .

srperry

Post by srperry » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Citroen don't advertise that you can maintain speed over large obstacles such as speed humps - the new suspension is for bumpy roads and cobble-type interference. There isn't a car available anywhere in the world designed to be capable of ignoring speed restriction humps and nor should there be. If I drive any car over such a restriction without slowing I would expect at the least complaining noises from the suspension and chassis area as well as the fact that many speed humps have almost vertical faces which will always cause shock unless approached very slowly.
PureTech 110 S&S Flair, Polar White/Black Bumps, Black Leather/Cloth with Stone Grey ambience + CityPark and BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Front & Rear cameras