New model suspension

All C4 Cactus related discussions
Rubik

Re: New model suspension

Post by Rubik » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:36 pm

hellooo wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:31 pm
The tyre pressures were around 14 psi higher than recommended. It made the ride less comfortable than the correct pressures provide.
New Cactus? Incorrect tyre pressures 14psi too high? Faulty shock absorbers? And we have just begun. This doesn't say much for Citroen...

My dealership which has sold just Citroens for at least the last 48 years has just had its franchise terminated :(
What does this tell you about Citroen(s)? My Cactus will be my last Citroen when other manufacturer's offer 7 year warranty or 60,000 miles where Citroen offer 3 years and a slightly extended warranty of parts which were defective from new. Sadly this didn't extend to my rear rusty brakes.

Mike300

Post by Mike300 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:21 am

Hi there I have the same noise from my car 2018 flair desiel - dealer replaced fear shocks. No change it’s still the same it had only done 400 miles . The dealer said the suspension has to bed in ??? That’s a first for me. I hope this helps a sad mike

Mike300

Post by Mike300 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:16 am

Hello all I purchased my new cactus desiel flair in October 2018 I love the car BUT the thump from the near side rear is awfull I’ve only done 400 miles my car has been in the dealers workshop more than I have driven the car .. they replaced the rear shock absorbers to no avail it still bangs and thumps over sleeping police men and uneven roads . I thought this suspension was the bees knees . Not the troublesome that we all are suffering with .well the dealer said they just do not know what the problem is. And gave the car back to me and said you need to let the suspension bed in it’s must be with being so new !!!! Well Tharp takes the biscuit 🍪 I have been driving 50 yrs + and that is a first. They have been in touch with Citroen technical all the way through with my car 🚗 and still no answer .. a very fed up and disgruntled. Mike. Please reply with your thoughts. Thanks.

davew

Post by davew » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Mike300 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:16 am
Hello all I purchased my new cactus desiel flair in October 2018 I love the car BUT the thump from the near side rear is awfull I’ve only done 400 miles my car has been in the dealers workshop more than I have driven the car .. they replaced the rear shock absorbers to no avail it still bangs and thumps over sleeping police men and uneven roads . I thought this suspension was the bees knees . Not the troublesome that we all are suffering with .well the dealer said they just do not know what the problem is. And gave the car back to me and said you need to let the suspension bed in it’s must be with being so new !!!! Well Tharp takes the biscuit 🍪 I have been driving 50 yrs + and that is a first. They have been in touch with Citroen technical all the way through with my car 🚗 and still no answer .. a very fed up and disgruntled. Mike. Please reply with your thoughts. Thanks.
Can you comment on the mention from another owner of same model with the same issue, who wrote (above) :

" One other point, when my wife is in the passenger seat, the issue virtually disappears. She's 8 and a half stone..."

gsa1300

Post by gsa1300 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:42 am

My experience is that it does not like some of the speed reducer things on the road (sleeping police men). My C4 MK I smoother on speed bumps, but small cracks on the road smoother with the Cactus. There are some humps and dumps which are smooth for the front suspension, but the rear feels a bit 'jumpy'. I had similar experience with the new C3, but its front suspension was not as good as the Cactus'.
Loud bang is not experienced even if the car loaded or unloaded.
I have done about 5000kms and now I feel better the suspension than it was new. Also when I changed the shock absorbers on the C4 MK I it needed some time to get as good as was before (I mean not the worn out condition here :))
And yes the tyre pressure was higher than the recommended when I got it from the dealer. Strange that they are not checking it. Maybe that is a policy for transfer the cars on trailer to use higher tyre pressure. I do not know. It seems that the factory adjust it higher than needed...
2018 Cactus Shine (Flair in the UK) Emerald Blue with white color pack

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:30 am

srperry wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:03 pm
Citroen don't advertise that you can maintain speed over large obstacles such as speed humps - the new suspension is for bumpy roads and cobble-type interference. There isn't a car available anywhere in the world designed to be capable of ignoring speed restriction humps and nor should there be. If I drive any car over such a restriction without slowing I would expect at the least complaining noises from the suspension and chassis area as well as the fact that many speed humps have almost vertical faces which will always cause shock unless approached very slowly.
What he said ^^^
PureTec 82 manual, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

Mike300

Post by Mike300 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello please see my posts I have the same problem , regards mike

stocklord63

Post by stocklord63 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:32 am

At last, I'm not going mad...

I've now done just over 1000 miles, absolutely no improvement. Unless I slow to virtually a stop (and I mean 5mph or less) there is a loud thump from the rear axle over any speed bump. This happened with no other car that I have ever driven. It is a design fault clearly, but Citroen insists it is a "characteristic of the car". What a joke. I have no idea where to turn, looks like we will just have to accept it, and the firm has the nerve to flog it based on the fantastic new suspension system.

What staggers me is that it has not been flagged up by every owner.

davew

Post by davew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:35 am

Hmm.
Parts of the 2018 model brochure :

"Innovation is part of Citroën’s DNA and so is providing exceptional comfort. This is why New Citroën C4 Cactus features a world-first suspension design that delivers both extraordinary comfort and agility. Effortlessly absorbing imperfections and changes in the road surface, the system also keeps body movements perfectly controlled for stable progress and quick responses."

"The Progressive Hydraulic Cushion™ is like many Citroën innovations: beautifully simple. Unlike an ordinary suspension system that uses a shock absorber, coil spring and mechanical stop, the Citroën solution adds two hydraulic cushions to smoothly control compression and rebound. This slows down large or abrupt suspension movements and glides over minor road imperfections, delivering a balance of poise and unmatched ride comfort."

I can see that you might well expect something extraordinary... but the writers of this stuff seem to be masters of hype.

srperry

Post by srperry » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:49 pm

davew wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:35 am
Hmm.
Parts of the 2018 model brochure :

"Innovation is part of Citroën’s DNA and so is providing exceptional comfort. This is why New Citroën C4 Cactus features a world-first suspension design that delivers both extraordinary comfort and agility. Effortlessly absorbing imperfections and changes in the road surface, the system also keeps body movements perfectly controlled for stable progress and quick responses."

"The Progressive Hydraulic Cushion™ is like many Citroën innovations: beautifully simple. Unlike an ordinary suspension system that uses a shock absorber, coil spring and mechanical stop, the Citroën solution adds two hydraulic cushions to smoothly control compression and rebound. This slows down large or abrupt suspension movements and glides over minor road imperfections, delivering a balance of poise and unmatched ride comfort."

I can see that you might well expect something extraordinary... but the writers of this stuff seem to be masters of hype.
All car brochures are full of such hype, whichever the make/brand.

However, if you take the second quoted paragraph literally, I don't believe that by any stretch of the imagination a sleeping policeman could be considered 'a minor road imperfection'.
PureTech 110 S&S Flair, Polar White/Black Bumps, Black Leather/Cloth with Stone Grey ambience + CityPark and BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Front & Rear cameras