New model suspension

All C4 Cactus related discussions
Rubik

Re: New model suspension

Post by Rubik » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Mike300 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:21 am
Hi there I have the same noise from my car 2018 flair desiel - dealer replaced fear shocks. No change it’s still the same it had only done 400 miles . The dealer said the suspension has to bed in ??? That’s a first for me. I hope this helps a sad mike
I think the dealer is taking the p***. They must assume the consumer is stupid and doesn't understand anything.

Surely the suspension will be as soft as the hydraulics or springs and the shock absorbers only stop it from bouncing as if it was hanging on a spring.

Stevew684

Post by Stevew684 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 pm

I got my Cactus Flair end of May, and have never had a problem with the suspension, with or without passengers, I have humps in my street which the car takes quite easily, as long as I am not silly, and much better that the DS4 I had previously, which had a hard suspension - or maybe just big wheels! Perhaps I am lucky.....
2018 C4 Cactus Hatch Flair 1.2 Puretech 130 Emerald Blue with silver colour pack.

stocklord63

Post by stocklord63 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 am

Update: took a trip with my wife driving and me in the passenger seat (11 stone). Tested the car over speed bumps, very slowly at first, then increasing speed, eventually taking some at 25mph (obviously not advisable), but there was absolutely no noise whatsoever, completely eliminated! It is nothing to do with the seat, as the clunk comes from the rear left of the car. So, solution is to have passengers, or put a heavy weight on the left of the car. Driving to work alone this morning, back to square one.

davew

Post by davew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 pm

stocklord63 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 am
Update: took a trip with my wife driving and me in the passenger seat (11 stone). Tested the car over speed bumps, very slowly at first, then increasing speed, eventually taking some at 25mph (obviously not advisable), but there was absolutely no noise whatsoever, completely eliminated! It is nothing to do with the seat, as the clunk comes from the rear left of the car. So, solution is to have passengers, or put a heavy weight on the left of the car. Driving to work alone this morning, back to square one.
Yes understood.
On 26 October you wrote "One other point, when my wife is in the passenger seat, the issue virtually disappears. She's 8 and a half stone. What is going on?"

To which I replied "... it would be interesting to know what happens without passenger but with a weight of about 30kg in the boot ."

This was based on your wife's weight of 120 pounds, or about 55 kg. This weight is roughly shared equally between front and rear so about 30 kg in the boot might give the same effect. Why not try it?

blackcountrycactus

Post by blackcountrycactus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:43 pm

when we go on holidays fully loaded the car feels more planted on the road.
All black 1.6hdi flair with pano-2016

Mike300

Post by Mike300 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Update. Well I am so fed up with this clunk and thump from the rear of the car .. I had a Rac engineers report done on my car. He was about an hour or so we took the car out and yes he heard the thump from the rear. When we got back to my home. He jacked the car up and checked all round the rear in fact all over the car. His conclusion was the inferior springs ans cheap cost cutting suspension shocks and all where to blame . He wrote to fit a quality shock absorber like billstine or spax monroe x . A much much better damping is needed to stop this thump. So folks there you have it. I hope this helps you. Regards mike

blackcountrycactus

Post by blackcountrycactus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Report back when you have had the new ones fitted it would be interesting, but it does raise a question why other folk aint getting the problem, maybe they are just heavier.
All black 1.6hdi flair with pano-2016

davew

Post by davew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Mike300 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:26 pm
Update. Well I am so fed up with this clunk and thump from the rear of the car .. I had a Rac engineers report done on my car. He was about an hour or so we took the car out and yes he heard the thump from the rear. When we got back to my home. He jacked the car up and checked all round the rear in fact all over the car. His conclusion was the inferior springs ans cheap cost cutting suspension shocks and all where to blame . He wrote to fit a quality shock absorber like billstine or spax monroe x . A much much better damping is needed to stop this thump. So folks there you have it. I hope this helps you. Regards mike
I think I'd be a bit cautious in accepting that an RAC vehicle inspection engineer knows more about the design of modern suspension systems than the Citroen design team, who claim that their approach in the " New Citroën C4 Cactus features a world-first suspension design ..."
The quote of "Cheap cost cutting suspension shocks" makes me wonder on what basis that judgment was made : a detailed inspection of the internal parts of the shock absorbers, or an external visual appraisal?

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:40 pm

davew wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:34 pm
Mike300 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:26 pm
I think I'd be a bit cautious in accepting that an RAC vehicle inspection engineer knows more about the design of modern suspension systems than the Citroen design team, who claim that their approach in the " New Citroën C4 Cactus features a world-first suspension design ..."
The quote of "Cheap cost cutting suspension shocks" makes me wonder on what basis that judgment was made : a detailed inspection of the internal parts of the shock absorbers, or an external visual appraisal?
I couldnt agree more. The RAC will have no idea about the Unique Shock Absorbers

stocklord63

Post by stocklord63 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Well they're certainly unique, in that they are worse than any other car I've ever driven.