New model suspension

All C4 Cactus related discussions
Chris

Re: New model suspension

Post by Chris » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 pm

stocklord63 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm
Well they're certainly unique, in that they are worse than any other car I've ever driven.
You must have a fault because ours is a superb ride
Car left the factory on 30th October.

stocklord63

Post by stocklord63 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 am

Chris, try driving it alone over speed bumps and then report back.

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Have you removed the rear tyre and tools and then tried?

renagade

Post by renagade » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi Guy's
Any car that will handle speed bumps. I wish you gu's could have a go in a 1972 range of Citroen DS range of which I have had three types and then you will know what a smooth ride is. Just saying.

davew

Post by davew » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 pm

renagade wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:08 pm
Hi Guy's
Any car that will handle speed bumps. I wish you guys could have a go in a 1972 range of Citroen DS range of which I have had three types and then you will know what a smooth ride is. Just saying.
I think things changed shortly after that date. From 1934 the company had been controlled by Michelin who financed the company's activities including research and development until 1974, when Michelin sold the company to Peugeot who quickly decided to rein in the Citroen finances.
It seems there was a different culture running things after Peugeot took over with their own design ideas, which must have stifled some of the innovative approaches that were associated with Citroens from before 1974.
So unfortunately those suspension concepts disappeared, and were replaced by more conventional and less expensive approaches.

renagade

Post by renagade » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Guy's
When I drive my 2019 feel empty and over speed bumps the rear suspension makes a loud bang. Half a tank of fuel. When I take a spirited corner if it is not completely flat it will jump quite badly to the out side of the curve.

srperry

Post by srperry » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 am

Solution to #1: slow down over speed bumps; it's what you're supposed to do. There are no cars made that will defy the laws of physics when hitting obstructions in the road. The new suspension is designed to smooth out normal uneven roads, not to make it possible to go fast over physical speed restrictions.

Solution to #2: the lightness of the car and the form of it's rear suspension is what causes 'hopping'. Most cars of similar axle design will behave in a similar lively fashion - especially if they are lightweight cars like the Cactus.
C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience

davew

Post by davew » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 am

srperry wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 am
Solution to #1: slow down over speed bumps; it's what you're supposed to do. There are no cars made that will defy the laws of physics when hitting obstructions in the road. The new suspension is designed to smooth out normal uneven roads, not to make it possible to go fast over physical speed restrictions.

Solution to #2: the lightness of the car and the form of it's rear suspension is what causes 'hopping'. Most cars of similar axle design will behave in a similar lively fashion - especially if they are lightweight cars like the Cactus.
Agree completely with this - I think the expectations of amazing performance, ride etc are to do with the OTT descriptions in the Citroen brochures etc.
The original Cactus was announced with great fanfares about the innovative airbumps etc which many people rather like, but they have been quietly dropped for the later model and the current advertising now has to feature some other "innovative" design feature...

srperry

Post by srperry » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:16 pm

Well, my take on the brochure descriptions is that they are pretty accurate and not OTT. The new suspension IS innovative and works really well. Over cobbles or rough roads the ride is very smooth. Even over sleeping policemen in my C5 Aircross there is much less of a bump than there was in my previous Cactus.

Apart from wanting something bigger, one motivation of mine for not buying the new model Cactus was the 'de-Cactusing' of the car, the removal of all the features that made it stand out from the crowd rather than blend in.
C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience

davew

Post by davew » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:43 am

srperry wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:16 pm
Well, my take on the brochure descriptions is that they are pretty accurate and not OTT. The new suspension IS innovative and works really well. Over cobbles or rough roads the ride is very smooth. Even over sleeping policemen in my C5 Aircross there is much less of a bump than there was in my previous Cactus.

Apart from wanting something bigger, one motivation of mine for not buying the new model Cactus was the 'de-Cactusing' of the car, the removal of all the features that made it stand out from the crowd rather than blend in.

I'm just comparing by noting some of the comments on this forum by drivers who seem to not be satisfied, with what the current 2019 brochure contains - I'll give you some extracts:

SUSPENSION WITH PROGRESSIVE HYDRAULIC CUSHIONS
A Citroën world exclusive providing pure driving comfort.

THE HATCH THAT REDEFINES COMFORT

A NEW KIND OF COMFORT
CITROËN ADVANCED COMFORT® delivers unrivalled comfort levels to each passenger. Using new technology
and intelligent design, it’s an approach that keeps you relaxed and refreshed in body and mind. In typical Citroën style,
everything that contributes to comfort has been carefully considered and rethought. Four core themes are used
to create the perfect driving environment: soft contact points and low noise levels, interior space and versatility,
intuitive and useful technology and pure, calm comfort all round.

Innovation is part of Citroën’s DNA and so is providing exceptional comfort. This is why New Citroën C4 Cactus features a world-first suspension design that delivers both extraordinary comfort and agility.
Effortlessly absorbing imperfections and changes in the road surface, the system always keeps body movements perfectly controlled for stable progress and quick responses.
*Not available on PureTech 82 models.

The Progressive Hydraulic Cushion™ is like many Citroën innovations: beautifully simple. Unlike an ordinary suspension system that uses a shock absorber, coil spring and mechanical stop, the Citroën solution adds two hydraulic cushions to smoothly control compression and rebound. This slows down large or abrupt suspension movements and glides over minor road imperfections, delivering a balance of poise and unmatched ride comfort.

My impression is that these glowing descriptions don't quite match with the comments from some drivers, whose expectations on ride quality have not been met.