Removing Rip Curl decals

All C4 Cactus related discussions
daverennick

Removing Rip Curl decals

Post by daverennick » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:49 am

Hi all -

Has anyone successfully and cleanly removed the Rip Curl Edition decals, including the Rip Curl logo from the black divider?

Last thing I want to do is ruin the clear coat underneath so any experience appreciated.

Jonovich

Re: Removing Rip Curl decals

Post by Jonovich » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Just curious - but why do you want to remove them?

Application of a hair dryer to warm them is usually enough to remove transfers - used that on Land Rover Defenders in the past to get those ghastly door transfers off... Should leave the paint below untouched as the heat breaks down just the adhesive. Only caveat here is that I've never done this on a Cactus, which I know is what you are asking?

You may find the paintwork that has been protected by the transfer will be extra glossy or in better condition than the rest - certainly was the case on the Landies I did...

Kind regards,

Jono

daverennick

Post by daverennick » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks Jonovich, and for anyone else: the hair dryer worked a treat on the semi-transparent decals. The area just needed a good clean with methylated spirits after to get the remaining gunk off (still work in progress). The car is a 2016 and the condition of the duco under the decals is seamless.

All that remains now is the Rip Curl logo on the black band. I was a bit nervous attacking this, because I think I have to remove the whole black strip, not just the white logo. I've ordered a replacement "Cactus" strip and will check that out before the next move. Either I'll stick is over the top of Rip Curl, or brace myself and remove it first...

As for why I want to remove them: the Citroen Cactus has enough going on without additional incongruous decoration! In my opinion ;)

davew

Post by davew » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 am

daverennick wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:32 am
Thanks Jonovich, and for anyone else: the hair dryer worked a treat on the semi-transparent decals. The area just needed a good clean with methylated spirits after to get the remaining gunk off (still work in progress). The car is a 2016 and the condition of the duco under the decals is seamless.
For removing the remnants of adhesive after peeling off self adhesive labels, I've generally found a little application of white spirit to be very effective and preferable to methylated spirits.