Diesel C4 Cactus 1.6 Service

All C4 Cactus related discussions
wildman

Diesel C4 Cactus 1.6 Service

Post by wildman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:55 am

trying to avoid paying more than I need to on a service ....The car has just reached 3 years old and has done 28300 miles ....Do I need a major or full service...?

CakeEater

Re: Diesel C4 Cactus 1.6 Service

Post by CakeEater » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:55 pm

to avoid paying more than you need... do everything yourself;

the biggest job in both cost and time with any normal 'service' is the oil change - getting the car up, remove the sump guard, draining the engine, changing the oil filter, filling with fresh and good quality oil, and back to road ready - half an hour, at least, if you have everything ready and are competent, and about £50 in parts.

The rest, are just checks and very easy swapping of old for new parts, maybe a bit of white lithium grease on hinges etc if you're being thorough.

As to your question, I would say the answer depends on what services you have had already e.g. the pollen filter is supposed to be every two years/services.

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:21 pm

As i have said in another thread, you MUST use low SAPS oil if your car is an HDi.

Showerswalk

Post by Showerswalk » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Been servicing my own cactus after being ripped off by a main citroen dealer ,just replaced discs and pads oil and filter and fuel and air filter not difficult to do
Only problem I had was when the main dealer took the sump guard off he didnt unscrew the bolts which were siezed, he just tore them out the plastic which makes it impossible to secure them properly again. Didnt notice till I began to service the car myself
Better to service the car yourself as you know the jobs done right
65 reg1.6 blue hdi in obsidian black with black airbumps and red accents

nc111

Post by nc111 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:54 am

If not wanting to DIY, go to a local recommended independent garage. Just had my MOT done and it came back as an advisory over the brake discs, so got my mechanic to do a service and do the brakes, he checked the brakes saying nothing wrong just rust on the outside which he cleaned up, did a service (oil and filter change), after collecting the car from my home and returning it afterwards - cost £80 (£50 parts £30 labour).

Main dealers are a rip off, irrespective of the make - you tend to have to use them to cover the warranty in the first 3 years, but would never recommend them for any time after then. I remember getting my first brand new car 25 years ago after a week or two the mirror glass on drivers side fell out (luckily I caught it), naively went back to the dealer - they popped it in 2 min job then gave me a bill of £20+vat!

A good local garage won't charge if they simply inspect and don't do work. Citroen offer a basic interim service where they don't actually replace any oil etc just open the hood, give it a look over and stamp your book, then charge you something like £100 for it!
1.6 BlueHDi Feel in Black on Black with Privacy Glass, Feel City Park Pack, and Navigation & HiFi pack,

PCLock

Post by PCLock » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:37 pm

You do not have to use a main dealer to keep the warranty, Any workshop that is VAT registered can do it, just be sure to use genuine parts.