Knowing what you know now..... would you buy a cactus ?

All C4 Cactus related discussions

Knowing what you know now..... would you buy a cactus ?

YES
86%
NO
14%

Total votes: 87

JohnYoung

Re: Knowing what you know now..... would you buy a cactus ?

Post by JohnYoung » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:30 pm

markfoz wrote:
JohnYoung wrote:
markfoz wrote:I really like my Cactus as a car and I'm happy with the thought that I'll be owning it for at least the next 6 years (unless something drastic happens), in order to make buying new good economy.

That being said if insurance, running costs (fuel, servicing, tyres, repairs etc), road tax wasn't an issue, which it is as I'm trying to own this car as cheaply as possible then I think I'd rather have something like a BMW 3 series touring or a Volvo V60 just for because they are soooo much nicer to drive.

Yeah the Cactus is certainly not the be all and end all for cars but of course the cars you mention are a lot more expensive - saying that the Volvo does not get very good reviews (quick google search)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/v60
Yep you're right those other cars I mentioned are loads more money new but I could have bought I really nice low mile two year old Bmw or Volvo or Audi etc for what I paid for the Cactus. However it isn't the buying cost that swayed me it's the costs going forward like I mentioned.

I know the Volvo doean't get rave reviews for some reason, maybe I guess because it's put up against the likes of the BMW and Audi, but driven in isolation I'm sure it would fair better. I had one for a company car and loved it.
Yeah I was thinking the other day when we eventually change the Cactus it will be hard to re-adjust to 'normal' fuel economy. The Mazda we had previously was not bad but the Cactus is amazing on MPG...... Unless we buy another Cactus of course

Cloud9

Post by Cloud9 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:29 am

6 months after taking delivery, I would certainly look at getting another one. That's assuming that Citroen don't downgrade the spec in 18 months time when I think about changing! I still think this is the most interesting (and probably best) car I've owned. :)
DVSA Approved Driving Instructor

Flair 1.6 Blue HDi - Blue Lagoon - Black alloys - no roof bars -

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:07 am

Cloud9 wrote:6 months after taking delivery, I would certainly look at getting another one. That's assuming that Citroen don't downgrade the spec in 18 months time when I think about changing! I still think this is the most interesting (and probably best) car I've owned. :)
Yeah would be nice if Citroen keep (or upgrade) the spec and don't try to cut corners like they have already done with removing USB port and jukebox which would be a shame and spoil a very good car.

ran

Post by ran » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:37 pm

JohnYoung wrote:Yeah would be nice if Citroen keep (or upgrade) the spec and don't try to cut corners like they have already done with removing USB port and jukebox which would be a shame and spoil a very good car.
Did they? removed the aux/usb in the lower trim level or what?
1.2 Puretech 110 Sport Red with Black airbumps and Habana interior

History: Xsara, 306, C3 Picasso, C4, 407, C5, DS3, 3008

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:16 pm

ran wrote:
JohnYoung wrote:Yeah would be nice if Citroen keep (or upgrade) the spec and don't try to cut corners like they have already done with removing USB port and jukebox which would be a shame and spoil a very good car.
The top model spec (sorry keep forgetting name) had USB socket in glovebox and jukebox but I think that has been removed now

Seanf

Post by Seanf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:44 pm

I have a flair 82 with 5 auto box and must agree that the car just is not smooth to drive my old ds4 airdreem diesel auto was much better the cactus is very unpleasant to drive smoothly when it goes in for its 1st service I will see if there is a firmware update for the engine and gearbox as there was for the ds4 also it only gets 41 mpg would I buy one again ! Don't think so ???

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 am

Seanf wrote:I have a flair 82 with 5 auto box and must agree that the car just is not smooth to drive my old ds4 airdreem diesel auto was much better the cactus is very unpleasant to drive smoothly when it goes in for its 1st service I will see if there is a firmware update for the engine and gearbox as there was for the ds4 also it only gets 41 mpg would I buy one again ! Don't think so ???

So it seems we are all happy with the manual box but the auto is best avoided is that the consensus ?

Bewar3them00n

Post by Bewar3them00n » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:50 am

Had mine for about 3 weeks, only been driving for just over a month, so I'm learning as I go, currently getting 44mpg out of it, mainly 40-30mph driving, a bit of motorway here and there at the weekends, but I don't use it everyday. A few of my friends at work have been impressed with it's looks and interior, it's a good first car, it's fun to drive, it ticks many boxes for me, those being, good looks, easy to drive, decent boot, kids love it, good level,of usable tech ( sat nav, dab, parking camera, Bluetooth, 2 x USB ports) for a supposed "stripped back" car, there's plenty inside, as well as out, the airbumps are a great idea, the auto lights also ( for someone getting to know what everything does, it's ideal!)
Would I buy it again, hell yes! There's nothing that looks like it, it's got character, something sadly missing from the majority of cars' I'd get the 110 version and a pano sunroof and auto park if i was buying new ( I bought 6 months old) but that's being picky
1.2 PureTech (82bhp) Flair 5d Obsidian 17" Alloys

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:00 am

JohnYoung wrote:So it seems we are all happy with the manual box but the auto is best avoided is that the consensus ?
I have the 5 speed ETG and driving it in normal conditions it is faultless, the gripe I have is moving at low revs but I'm not it is the gearbox but engine.

I have to reverse up a slight incline very slowly to get out of my drive as the footpath is hidden by the neighbours hedge, the car just doesn't like it. I don't think it's the gearbox but the 3pot not liking the lack of revs so it vibrates/judders slightly under stress, it is the same going forward. Manoeuvring in a tight spot in car park can be the same. This is where I miss the ability to balance the accelerator and clutch of a manual. The creep function in slow traffic works fine

I also think the plastic interior is a bit cheap and could be marked easily but you do get a lot of gear for your bucks especially the Flair, before the update anyway.

I also looked at the smaller BMW's and Audi's before buying the Cactus but after adding all the extras that already come with the Cactus Flair it didn't warrant the cost for what I needed it for.

Would I but it again knowing what I know now the answer would be yes but I might have considered the diesel for the engine but the reports on the 6 speed were not very good but surely it cannot be much difference than the 5 speed which I cannot fault.
Shark Grey - Black Air Bumps - Flair 82ETG - Panoramic Sunroof - City Park pack.Image

RakerFaaker

Post by RakerFaaker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:06 am

JohnYoung wrote:
ran wrote:
The top model spec (sorry keep forgetting name) had USB socket in glovebox and jukebox but I think that has been removed now
That is a shame, thank got I got mine while it was still there.
Go hug a cactus :) :)