Are you a Flasher?

The place to discuss everything else..
Muddles

Are you a Flasher?

Post by Muddles » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:54 pm

When I drove Classic Mini's we always always flashed to each other when we met up on the road.

That was the only brand of car that I ever found people did that with.

Seeing as the Cactus is so individual and different it would be great if we 'flashed' each other on the road too, but alas I've only ever seen one more here in Cornwall and didn't know whether to flash or not, so I didnt and now I regret it.

What are your views on flashing? Would the other cactus driver maybe think there was something wrong with his car if you flashed? It's different times now so maybe the comradery of same car ownership no longer exists.
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys

Cirias

Re: Are you a Flasher?

Post by Cirias » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:40 pm

I plan to give a hand wave if I see another Cactus, but not expecting one in return to be honest! I almost waved at a particularly miserable-looking woman in a white Cactus yesterday, but quickly realised I was driving my old Peugeot :?
Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 Puretech [110] Flair S&S - Shark Grey

Radu

Post by Radu » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Hello there:),
I just shook hands with another fresh cactus owner in Romania, Constanta. We were in the same parking lot going to the same restaurant. He was really interested in my car :) and i gave him some tips and tricks. Now we are friends on FB .

Cactus folks are different, and they will always be friendly with each other :).

zildolini

Post by zildolini » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:18 pm

I had a Alfa Romeo before I went "all Citroën" and Alfa-owners used to greet each other, at least here in Norway. Some with flashing lights, some with a hand wave. But that has been a tradition for ages.

Would prefer hand wave over flashing, though. Flashing is quite disturbing, and I only use it to tell people they are driving rather unsatisfactory.
2014 Cactus 1.2 110 Nordic Edition High
2010 C5 Tourer 1.6 HDi 109 Dynamique

AkamasDiver

Post by AkamasDiver » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:51 pm

I think you can get arrested for "Flashing" here in the UK.
Feel, Arctic Steel, Black trim, Blue HDi, Anthracite "Square" wheels.

http://akamasdiver.daportfolio.com/

BristolRich

Post by BristolRich » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Mini days yes, but otherwise nope as it usually confuses the hell out of people.

This couple were frantically waving like a pair of loons...not that you can see that well....

https://youtu.be/caEtjnaeR60
Ex - 2014 Hello Yellow Citroën C4 Cactus Hatchback 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Feel Edition

CactusBob

Post by CactusBob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:15 pm

I waved my hand when I saw another Blue Lagoon Cactus, same as mine, the other day. The woman driving it didn't even notice. It seems that to mosr Cactus drivers here in the UK, it's just another car, so they don;t notice others, even in the same colour. How boring... I love mine!

ruairip

Post by ruairip » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 pm

CactusBob wrote:I waved my hand when I saw another Blue Lagoon Cactus, same as mine, the other day. The woman driving it didn't even notice. It seems that to mosr Cactus drivers here in the UK, it's just another car, so they don;t notice others, even in the same colour. How boring... I love mine!
I would happily wave back and wave unprompted to all that I see (with the exception of the increasing number of learner drivers in driving school Cactuses that we see) out and about, yet to have a wave returned.

PS: Yes I know that Cactuses is wrong, just prefer it.
Best

Ruairi

C4 Cactus PureTech 82 S&S ETG Flair in Blue Lagoon with City Park Pack (from 12/03/2016)

JohnYoung

Post by JohnYoung » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:33 pm

When we first go out Cactus there were none around here but there are more and more each day but none of them even seem to notice we have the same cars.... they just go about their business as usual so I would not even think of waving now

I remember when I had my Lada Niva (Russian 4X4) and if you ever saw another they would be waving and flashing like mad. I remember up in Scotland one coming towards us with spot lights on the roof flashing like mad. When they got close they were an old couple :D

I once parked the Niva and when I came back it had a not asking me to sell it and with a phone number - I did not

Muddles

Post by Muddles » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:27 am

I had a maroon Lada Niva I loved it, but the without power steering it was hard work. It was in showroom condition when I sold him (called him Vlad) the guy that bought him sent me an email a few weeks later, he'd fitted a snorkel, and attached a couple of images, he'd been featured in some 4x4 mag and Vlad was underwater almost in one pic and out of water but covered in mud in the other. I was devastated. I'd always kept him in showroom condition and this guy had done the complete opposite.

About a year or so later I bought another one. White, not in such good condition with bits of rust here and there. Some guy reversed into me in a car park the Niva hardly moved, infact I don't think it did, but the guy's car was a right mess. The bumpers were fixed with what I would call scaffold poles, they weren't of course, but they were the same thickness. No wonder they were heavy old things.

There was talk of some guy up in the midlands, or north, to start importing them again a few years ago, not sure if he ever did.

Still not seen another Cactus down here in mid Cornwall, other than the B&W one I saw the other week. So not been able to do the 'Royal wave' pfffft
2015 1.2 Puretech 82 Feel - Obsidian Black with Black Bubblewrap - 16" Square Alloys