DS5 Hybrid...Any good?

The place to discuss everything else..
Bewar3them00n

DS5 Hybrid...Any good?

Post by Bewar3them00n » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

I'm looking to get a bigger car to accomadate growing kids, yet I want decent fuel efficiency.
While The C4 Picasso would be the obvious choice, I'm not a big fan of Diesel, but the petrol options aren't that big.
The DS5 hybrid has peeked my interest with it's quirky looks and fuel consumption, has anybody driven one?
1.2 PureTech (82bhp) Flair 5d Obsidian 17" Alloys

FrankBullitt

Re: DS5 Hybrid...Any good?

Post by FrankBullitt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Not a hybrid but I have driven a DS5. It was my plan to replace our DS4 with a DS5 last summer but sadly it didn't work out.

The main issue with the DS5 is that it's based on the same floor pan as the DS4 and C4 whilst at the same time having chunkier seats etc., unfortunately this meant it is simply too small inside - it has less space than the DS4; granted at 6'4" I am tall, I couldn't get comfortable really and my wife (5'3") could not fit behind me as there is no room under the front seat for feet. In our DS4 she can sit behind me if I move the seat upwards a little, which is still perfectly comfortable for both of us, we only travel 3-up most of the time but on occasions we do travel with 5 it was simply a non-starter in the DS5, not even a liveable compromise; the driving position for me was higher and closer to the wheel than the DS5; I was gutted to be honest as I really, really wanted one and otherwise it was lovely. It depends on how tall you all are but be ready to be shocked.

The DS5 does have a bigger boot although with the Hybrid this is compromised - the boot floor has a huge 'step' in it towards the rear seat that is about 10" high and 12" long to store the batteries, you do get a false floor which means you have a level (shallow) boot and a smaller compartment between the bumper and battery but the boot is compromised and if you fold the seats flat you end up with this huge step remaining.

However, they don't suffer any known reliability issues and some have quite high miles on them, even though they use an EGS (ETG) gearbox and economy can be quite good on them. One of my team has a DS5 1.6THP DSport with all the extras (petrol, Shergar-Poo) which he loves but does comment that visibility is poor to the rear.

In the end we bought another DS4, this time a 2.0HDi DSport 'blue' which is superb but I still love the look of a DS5.

I wouldn't discount the C4 Picasso, we drove one in 2.0HDi blue Exclusive+ spec and it is a wonderful piece of kit but with only one child it felt like overkill - we used to have a 2009 C4 Picasso and it was much, much nicer

Bewar3them00n

Post by Bewar3them00n » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks for the info. shame, as it looks stunning.
Plus I read about the battery life not being the best,
At 6'2" myself this is the issue I have with the Cactus, it's fine for me, but the toddler in the back in his chair is kicking me in the head!
So C4 Picasso might be the one we go for, although if it were up to me I'd trade in the Cactus for the turbo version and get the wife an older model of Picasso!
I think this might be a stop gap until the C5 Crosser gets a year or so under it's belt, as I want the ruggedness, the ride height and the ability to go a little off the beaten track with 2 boistrous boys in the back. I know I have a plethora of choice in the SUV / 4x4 market, but I'm a sucker for the quirky design that Citroen offer.
1.2 PureTech (82bhp) Flair 5d Obsidian 17" Alloys

FrankBullitt

Post by FrankBullitt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Width wise the DS5 is greater than the Cactus (which helps with three) but honestly for leg room the Cactus is genuinely better - once they get around putting a reach adjustable wheel in one then I'm selling my A2!

Petrol C4 Picasso 1.2's exist, depending on your budget you can either get a new one with a great discount (£5k+) or there are a series of VTR model that are about 12 months old on the market for £10-11k; the spec is reasonable on the VTR these days. Owners of the 1.2 Picasso seem incredibly happy (and YouTube video's suggest it also has enough power too). The Picasso is a lovely car

Rattlegun

Post by Rattlegun » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 am

Toddlers are a difficult age in cars as their feet stick straight out and don't bend over the squab. I looked at loads of cars when mine were toddlers to avoid feet in my back syndrome. Basically, there arent many, just huge SUVs or MPVs and I wasn't willing to get one of those. I got the cactus which was good enough, and waited for their legs to grow and bend over, which doesn't take long I can assure you! Not worth the loss of getting a huge car for, just for a year of growth :D