Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Steering wheel not straight when driving straight

56K views 84 replies 31 participants last post by  PurpleCactus 
#1 ·
Hello everybody.

New Cactus owner and new to this forum.

1.6 Blue HDI 3 weeks old 4000 km.

Right from the start my steering wheel is tilted a little bit to the left, even if Im on a straight road, enough to be very annoying for me, specially in a brand new car. The dealer looked at it and said they couldn't really se the problem and the car was very sensetive to roads.

I was wondering if any of you Cactus owners have the same problem, if I could call it a problem.

Are Your steering wheels totaly straight when you are driving on a straight road or is it normal in a Cactus that the steering wheel is a little bit tilted to a side?
I never had this problem in other cars.

Thanks for any answers .

Steen
Denmark

See less See more
#2 ·
Of course it's not normal that the steering wheel is tilted to a side when you're driving straight ahead. The problem is either that the steering wheel is not in center (in front of you when you are sitting in the car and the front wheels are pointed straight ahead), missing air in one of the front tires or there is something wrong with the steering/suspension (camber, toe in/out etc.). Go to another Citroën dealer and test drive one of their new cars (similar to your car). Then you will most certainly experience how the car should drive.

#3 ·
Min har lige været på værksted med netop dette problem, trak til højre. Der ud over larmede støddæmperne en smule når man kørte over div. bump ved lav hastighed..

Man kunne tydligt se den trak til højre da jeg skulle dreje en smule til venstre for at køre lige ud..
De skiftede styrbøjler og noget ophæng til forhjulene, nu oplever jeg den køre MEGET beder.
Ud over den køre lige, så ligger den også beder i sving og virker som om den er mere "kvik" når jeg drejer..

Dette skal selvfølgelig udbederes, har du service på ?
Hvis ja så kan du jo frit vælge et andet værksted ;)

#8 ·
Hi all.

Thanks very much for your answers!

I thought it was as you are all saying.
Went to the dealer again today and got an appointment for later this month.
We made a deal that they will take the car to a wheel alignment place nearby, if there was nothing wrong I pay the bill and if there where any adjustments acquired the dealer would pay the bill. After 40 years of driving Im pretty sure that they will end up paying the bill, course the steering wheel is tilting to the left while driving straight and when I set the wheel straight the car goes to the right, a lot actually, like changing lane almost.

Thanks for you quick replies.

Steen.

#9 ·
track rod ends, need adjusting.
2 minute job for a man, a ramp, a pair of spanners and a tracking gauge.
If your main dealer can't do it, ring Citroen and tell them to get a new dealer in your area.
Just lazy dealership.

if you don't get any joy go to a good tyre shop and they can do it, cost around £30. (send dealer the bill :))

#11 ·
It could be that the steering wheel has been set incorrectly on the steering shaft splines. To fix you would set the front wheels straight then take off the steering wheel and in your case turn it to the right before putting it back on.

#13 ·
Jukebox said:
It could be that the steering wheel has been set incorrectly on the steering shaft splines. To fix you would set the front wheels straight then take off the steering wheel and in your case turn it to the right before putting it back on.
Don't do that if you don't know how. Remember you have an airbag inside it. Better ask your dealer, he must do it for free

#14 ·
deeppurple said:
Jukebox said:
Don't do that if you don't know how. Remember you have an airbag inside it. Better ask your dealer, he must do it for free
Agree!

#17 ·
The end of my story with my left tilting steering wheel:

I went to the dealer a second time with my problem and they got a mechanic to take a test drive with my car and he, to my great joy, said that the steering wheel was tilting to the left when driving straight and he said that my car needed a 4 wheel adjustment ( dont know what its called in english), So they booked me in for that, of course I didn't have to pay for it, on guarantee .
Now my steering wheel is totally straight, as it should be, when driving straight.
They gave me another Cactus for the day and to my surprise it had exactly the same problem, so I guess other Cactus have the same problem with the steering wheel. So I would recoment you to go to the dealer if there is still guarantee on you car.

The desk guy test-drove my car the first time I went in for the problem and he said he couldn't se the problem, so I guess its a good thing to be a little persistent.

I would deffently get it corrected if I where you. Its a total turn of to look at a tiltet steering wheel!

#20 ·
xireland said:
I did also the alignment but issue not solved.
the wired is that if my speed is 0-40 the issue is obvious but if the speed is 40-140 then all working properly !!!!! :lol:
I'm on studless winter tires. What are you using? Maybe this could be the issue? But it's a known good brand, bought them at Citroen.

#22 ·
This has just happened to my Cactus! It now pulls to the right. If you correct to the left and let go of the steering wheel it moves past centre and the car heads towards the oncoming traffic. And if you keep correcting then "steering wheel not straight when driving straight". Thanks to the forum (similar issue is mentioned in the post "Rattle, Rattle, Rattle") I have not pondered it too much, (did check pressures, obvious alignment issues, ride height on rear, tyres are fine) and checked it into the dealer and they will have a look on Wednesday. BTW, under heavy breaking the car does track dead straight, so I don't think its too much to worry about. I will report back...

#23 ·
They checked tyre pressures, test drive, adjusted tracking, test drive, swapped wheels front to back and that sorted it. Not clear what the issue was, but tyres are not too worn 12k miles. Odd....

#26 ·
Matressontheside said:
They checked tyre pressures, test drive, adjusted tracking, test drive, swapped wheels front to back and that sorted it. Not clear what the issue was, but tyres are not too worn 12k miles. Odd....
Have to keep trying on mine - have the same 'to the right' problem which stops above 30mph when it's arrow straight. 12k on it now as well and, as you, not too worn. Not had the time to bother the main dealer and will try swapping the tyres around first before conceding defeat and giving them a call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.