Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Heating stopped?

30K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  PeterW 
#1 ·
So went out today, and heating wasn't working? All functions worked ie speed, direction etc but would only blow cold air over a one hour drive...car was going into dealer anyway as one of the interior panels was damaged on delivery. Heating worked for them and now fine...anyone had similar?

#3 ·
obviously...everything worked as it should - I could change where the air came from, the speed of the fan etc and when I turned temp down it got colder, but even on full heat was cold...I thought I was going mad, and wife agreed but no matter what she did we got same results. Had to drive nearly 50 miles with the "clear windscreen" button selected to keep the windscreen clear, but it only blew cold air (as soon as we turned it off the screen started to mist up and after a few minutes it was hazardous to drive) - I had to wear gloves to drive, and wear jacket fully done up!!

#4 ·
This fault has existed on the C4 Picasso - it typically resets itself when the car is stopped, locked, opened and re-started - it is an issue with a controller that needs to be replaced; there is a technical bulletin for the Picasso, not sure of the number though but your dealer can lay their hands on it. However, whilst it is an inconvenience you can reset it as described above.

#5 ·
Thanks FrankBullitt! Always concerns me when a dealer doesn't own up...we spoke to multiple people in service, although I am always willing to give the benefit of the doubt in case they haven't come across it before.

A quick search on Google actually showed up this http://www.cactusforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=129 so its certainly come up here before!

I have emailed the dealer and informed them that I have been made aware of the cause, feels good to be a bit smug :)

Thanks again

Chris

#7 ·
I had this problem too the other day - I was leaving Cheltenham at the end of the day, heater working fine. Received Bluetooth-connected phone call, and when at end of call the caller terminated the call the heater started chucking out bitterly cold air and wouldn't warm up whatever settings I used (normally I have climate control ON at all times set to a warm temperature). After some miles I stopped in a lay-by and turned the car off for a couple of minutes, then restarted and everything was working again normally. It hasn't happened since.

My garage thinks it's a software glitch.

#8 ·
It's happened to me once also. It was blowing cold air and the air con wouldn't switch off, even when full heat was selected. Never happened since, almost a year old now.

#10 ·
Hi folks! Today I experienced the same issue on my 11-months old cactus here in Sweden. In the morning everything was fine but after a short visit in a store the air became cold, regardless to which temperature I adjusted on the screen :?: :?: :?: Both manual & auto. I called the service immediately on the way home, they did not know what I was talking about :roll: They would have a look on that on Monday but the problem disappeared after a 10-minutes long stop and the air became hot again. At home I connected my computer to the ODB2 socket but no faults could be read, everything was fine. Now I read I'm not alone :D We'll see if the issue will come back in the future but hopefully not! :p

Anybody experienced this issue more than once so far?

#12 ·
Hi FarmerR, yes the coolant level is OK, the car has gone 14000 km and is in a really good technical condition I would say. Today in the morning everything was working perfect again, as always. It appears that what I experienced yesterday was a clear software bug. What makes it interesting is that at least several people on this forum experienced this thing at least, or maybe ONLY once.

#14 ·
What I found on this forum are 1-2 cases on gasoline powered engines, both 82 & 110. Suspicious :roll: But to me it could also happen on diesel engines, the heating unit is identical so I don't expect the hardware (computer/steering box) & software to be different there. For now I don't take any action but I will write again if the problem comes back.

In the meantime it would be nice to hear from anybody that faced the issue as well.

#15 ·
just an update: one month has gone and the issue luckily never came back! :D My cactus has been served for the first time this week, 15000 km, 11,5 months. They have not found any issues at Citroen garage so everything looks fine! Maybe except the fact that they stamped my service book in such way...... :oops: :roll: :

#16 ·
Yes it happened to me once. At the same time thw wiper stalk end button stopped working. Thanks to this forum I knew to switch off for ten minutes and restart and all worked well. Never had the problem since. Dealer said he'd never heard of this before.

#17 ·
Happened to me too, in early March when the heater stopped pumping warm air on completion of a Bluetooth-connected phone call (it was working fine before that). I pulled over and switched off for about 5 minutes, then restarted and all was OK. It's only happened once in 12 months - I think it was a computer glitch, which isn't surprising given the amount of technology in cars now.

#18 ·
I have a 100eHDI and my heater started blowing cold. It is still covered under warranty, so I booked it into dealers today. They contacted Citroën motors, who gave them the answer - the AC ECU keeps falling intermittently. They have ordered a new one and will fix it under warranty.

#19 ·
Just wanted to endorse the value of forums like this. En route this morning the heater didn't put out any heat whatsoever. The car was freezing and we had another 80 miles to do!! Do we turn round and go home? Lifted the bonnet coolant etc all okay. Next port of call was this forum. Having read that the problem had occurred to others decided to press on. Arrived at our destination. Left the car for 30 minutes and low and behold problem gone!! Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.