Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Door closing issue

11K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Fmartins 
#1 ·
Greetings revered members of the forum,

Today, my Wife and I both separately noticed that when closing the drivers door of our cactus (1.2 feel 65 plate) - it seemed to feel like it hadn't shut properly. However, no door warning appears on the info screen.

To check, I compared it with the passenger door - and sure enough the drivers door is sort of 'not fully closed' - sitting proud by a few mm all the way down, in comparison to the rear offside door behind it.

This is definitely new as of today - its so noticeable when you are used to how the door usually feels when shut. My first suspicion is that someone had hit the car / tried to break in - however I can see no evidence of either scenario.

Does anyone know what else could be causing this? I have checked the rubber seals all around to see if anything is causing the door to not shut properly - it almost feels like the catch has malfunctioned and is not holding the door as close as it should.

The odd feeling when shutting is basically, the catch hitting and engaging, but then the door 'bouncing' back causing an extra wobble, and then not sitting in tight.

It is most peculiar.

Additionally, I still have 6 months of warranty left, so am wondering if this might be covered?

See less See more
#5 ·
Car went into Yeomans Citroen Plymouth for free investigation under warranty.
Nothing helpful came of this - the mechanic said they couldn't fix it, it wasn't covered under warranty and that it would have to go to the body shop to be fixed. What a load of Boll**ks - when pressed about if he was saying the car had been hit / dented / etc - he said there was no sign of that but maybe the 'door had been taken by the wind'. He also said he had tried to adjust it slightly and it was a 'bit better'.

When I checked today - both T35 torx which hold the latch were very loose, not even finger tight and the latch was flapping about. So I pushed the latch back 'into' the door as much as possible and tightened it up, then loosened the t40 torx holding the D on the door pillar and moved that as far to the right as was possible before tightening (about 3mm). Now the door shuts perfectly again.

As some replies stated, it seemed to need adjustment. I would have tried that first, but with a warranty it feels a bit like 'why get a dog and bark yourself?'. But as it turned out Yeomans Citroen Plymouth were useless, probably having a busy day and couldn't be arsed to look at it properly.

#6 ·
Complain to the service manger and state that you fixed it yourself.
We will never improve the dealer standards if we do not bring to there attention there short comings.
All to easy for dealer to say needs bodyshop attention when a closer look would reveal the problem and does not take a bodyshop to adjust the door.

#7 ·
jiffyrag said:
Nothing helpful came of this - the mechanic said they couldn't fix it, it wasn't covered under warranty and that it would have to go to the body shop to be fixed. What a load of Boll**ks - when pressed about if he was saying the car had been hit / dented / etc - he said there was no sign of that but maybe the 'door had been taken by the wind'. He also said he had tried to adjust it slightly and it was a 'bit better'.

When I checked today - both T35 torx which hold the latch were very loose, not even finger tight and the latch was flapping about. So I pushed the latch back 'into' the door as much as possible and tightened it up, then loosened the t40 torx holding the D on the door pillar and moved that as far to the right as was possible before tightening (about 3mm). Now the door shuts perfectly again.

As some replies stated, it seemed to need adjustment. I would have tried that first, but with a warranty it feels a bit like 'why get a dog and bark yourself?'. But as it turned out Yeomans Citroen Plymouth were useless, probably having a busy day and couldn't be arsed to look at it properly.
Your explanation of the tightening up procedure is very clear and informative.
The dealer performance on this issue seems very poor indeed - maybe a bit of Facebook publicity would be appropriate...

#8 ·
Sorry to say and it doesn't give me any delight in saying this but the Cactus on the subject of door closing is a load of shite.

My rear door moved in and out even when locked as if it wasn't secure. It turned out to be a missing torx screw altogether.

Faults only became apparent after Citroen replaced both rear doors through corrosion on warranty. The dealership has lost the customer care and just wants to rush through repairs. Also the hinged rear window glass is loose on the catch because it wasn't checked properly before being despatched. The car is now having its doors resprayed a second time because of rippling round the air-bumps.

The only pro's I can see to the Cactus is the nil excise duty and the fuel economy. The 'air-bumps' are too low and still don't protect against other doors in car parks.

I am currently using a hire car (Renault Captur) fantastic 'Bose' music system, brilliant satnav, multimedia screen, loads more interior space, quiet, auto locking.. the list is endless. I haven't tried the new Cactus yet.

#9 ·
Rubik said:
Sorry to say and it doesn't give me any delight in saying this but the Cactus on the subject of door closing is a load of shite.

My rear door moved in and out even when locked as if it wasn't secure. It turned out to be a missing torx screw altogether.

Faults only became apparent after Citroen replaced both rear doors through corrosion on warranty. The dealership has lost the customer care and just wants to rush through repairs. Also the hinged rear window glass is loose on the catch because it wasn't checked properly before being despatched. The car is now having its doors resprayed a second time because of rippling round the air-bumps.

The only pro's I can see to the Cactus is the nil excise duty and the fuel economy. The 'air-bumps' are too low and still don't protect against other doors in car parks.

I am currently using a hire car (Renault Captur) fantastic 'Bose' music system, brilliant satnav, multimedia screen, loads more interior space, quiet, auto locking.. the list is endless. I haven't tried the new Cactus yet.
I can understand your reaction to these issues, but it seems to me that in reality its mostly not the Cactus at fault, its the poor quality control during manufacturing and by the dealers and repairers.
Quite possible to get the same slap dash approach by a garage dealing with Renaults or any other make...

#10 ·
jiffyrag said:

Hi,

I have recently bought a Cactus (16 plate) and just realised I have similar problem in the rear door on the driver side. My problem is a complete missing bolt. I only noticed it after using that door few times; and it looked like it wasn't properly closing although it was locked.
I was trying to find the respective torx on car parts dealers but only can find the complete set of the door lock which is around 100£.
Are you able to tell me the correct size of the bolts? The one that fixes the door latch are the T35 or T40 (the sizes you mentioned). Just to be sure I won't damage the door striker after.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.