Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

New doors

68K views 110 replies 31 participants last post by  Poacher 
#1 ·
While in for a service and the recall for the air con today , I mentioned that I had noticed rust starting to form along all the inside of the doors. It is mostly along the bottoms and around the wheel arch areas. When I came to pick it up I was told that Citroen would replace all four doors :shock: Has any one else had their doors replaced because of this ?

#102 ·
davew said:
rightsaidfred said:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread...

Hi folks, I'm thinking about getting a "pre-reg" (and pre facelift) registered in March 18. But I'm bothered about the door rust issue, and am wondering whether re-designed/modified doors will have been fitted to 2018 cars? If not I'll probably go for a C3.

One other thought, I'd aim to keep the car 10 years or so, will be touch screen still work in 10 years :?:

Thanks in advance.
My understanding is that the rust issue has been reported to these Cactus Forums by a total of 23 people and that it appears to be a quality control issue rather than a design defect, so any model with inadequate manufacturing quality checks could exhibit this, or a similar issue.
Probably only Citroen have the information that would allow a judgement to be made about which models have good quality control and which ones don't - no information about C3 rust issues has appeared in the Cactus forums.
Davew, thanks for your input. As Citroen must be aware of the quality control issue lets hope they have taken remedial action at the factory. I researched "C3 rust" generally on the web and haven't found any references so I guess there must be no similar issues with that car.

#103 ·
My dealer's bodyshop manager told me that the issue isn't rust but a chemical reaction between the paint and something that has contaminated the doors after the primer; he doesn't know what but says it definitely isn't rust.

My own car has had a flake of paint fall off from the inside bottom of the front passenger door while I was jetwashing it, and there was no rust under it. But it was obvious that something had caused the paint to flake and drop off. It will be dealt with by Citroen.

#104 ·
R380 said:
Update on Rusting doors...

3 new doors will be ordered ,painted ( That could be an adventure ) and fitted under warranty. When the helpful dealer was on the phone to Citroen warranty I inspected a new yellow HDI Flair in the show room . Sure enough , paint bubbles and irregularities were clearly visible on the lower lip of the passenger and left hand side rear door ,a sure precursor to corrosion . The dealer also has a KIA franchise . Parked adjacent to the cactus was a Kia Stonic. As a Citroen fan it was dispiriting to compare the two cars and the obvious disparity in quality.
I would be more bothered about the pain rippling round the air-bumps. This happens when we have extreme sunlight which causes the air-bump(s) to expand thus catching the paint as it goes.

My local agent says my car is the only one they have seen this issue and it is a YELLOW one. I am so fed up of this car and its blessed paint issues.

Attachments

#105 ·
srperry said:
My dealer's bodyshop manager told me that the issue isn't rust but a chemical reaction between the paint and something that has contaminated the doors after the primer; he doesn't know what but says it definitely isn't rust.

My own car has had a flake of paint fall off from the inside bottom of the front passenger door while I was jetwashing it, and there was no rust under it. But it was obvious that something had caused the paint to flake and drop off. It will be dealt with by Citroen.
Watch out bad paint about...

Attachments

#107 ·
rightsaidfred said:
Hi Rubik, sorry to hear about your troubles - that would "p" me off too. I hope you get it resolved one way or another. I was thinking about getting an '18 Cactus but will look elsewhere. Good luck.
The paint issue wouldn't stop me getting a Cactus - mine is still great after and a bit years and when my 3 years is up the only reason I might not replace it with a brand new one is because Citroen have removed almost the whole Cactus identity on the new one. The original has character and is unique. The new one could be a Golf. I want something different.

#109 ·
@rubik
I had some issue with my doors

I change dealer and i solved my problem.
It.is really bad painting the dealer he had to put heign - joint before the painting around the airbump.
Because the tooth (are behind the airbump to hold it) push constalty the sirbump.
This cause the fresh paint do this problems.
Even they put the airbump a month later the high temperuture outside will make the problem again.
When a dealer order a door to replace it is contain paint instructions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.