Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Fuel consumption

19K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  srperry 
#1 ·
Hey all Cactus owner. I bought a Cactus Flair, 110HP, petrol. 2016 model. Using 95% city, mostly short trips. My MPG came down to 43-44 is that ok? I am not a sportive driver, so wondering if all you have about the same? Or the car need some checking? Thanks for all your help ;)

#5 ·
32,000 miles in mine at average 48mpg, mostly short to medium journies (110, 2016)

#7 ·
The petrol engined version in the Cactus will be poor. The 1.2 engine lacks power and doesn't have a linear power curve unlike the diesel where I am achieving 68 round town with the stop/start activated and 70+ on the open roads.

Cold weather pulls down the mpg where I have found temperatures of 6C it achieves 56-64mpg, and temperatures of 16c upwards achieve minimum 70mpg and up to 96mpg on a motorway (60-70mph). Tyre pressures are important making sure they are all correct at manufacturers recommendations.

#9 ·
Ok thanks for all your answers. Just went for long trip to Wales, MPG start to go higher. 2nd tripmeter reseted before journey, came 54MPG after 150 miles. So was just asking if all others have the same about. Overall the car working nicely, bought a month ago :)

#11 ·
I'm getting between 39 and 42 brim to brim on a late 2018 110 Flair manual. That's mainly urban with fast motorway cruising. Late 40s on a gentle longer run. The trip meter is spot on, matching brim to brim calculations surprisingly. Have only used V power since new and feels quick.

#13 ·
Our 2015 '82' has averaged 43mpg over the last 6,000 (45k on the clock). A 200 mile trip over the weekend, mixed motorway, country roads and M25 jams and it averaged 50. That was with me driving. The missus drives it mostly and I think is a little heavy footed.

#14 ·
Hi all,

I have a cactus c4 2018 flair blue hdi diesel. A year in my fuel consumption is combined 44 mpg. Which has dropped by 10 mpg since i got the car. Anyone have any ideas on why? My combined urban motorway is about the same so its baffling!

Certainly nowhere near the 80 mpg they advertised!

#15 ·
Rubik said:
V Power fuel is a waste of money in the Cactus. It doesn't make any difference, its psychological.

I tried it for 4 weeks, 4 full tanks. dissapointed. Diesel 1.6Hdi.
I currently drive 43000 miles a year for work, combined motorways and such, in the last ten years I must have averaged 25000 miles a year, I have never ever bought vpower or any of its equivolents
In fact I generally buy the cheapest diesel I can find but I can assure you that I have never found any difference with any of the brands, supermarket or otherwise.

I would remind everyone that there are a limited number of oil refineries in this country, that are far less numerous than the brands of fuel on sale.

in the end its your choice and your money but I find it makes no difference worth a damn what fuel you use or where you buy it from.

#16 ·
Fudge1976 said:
Hi all,

I have a cactus c4 2018 flair blue hdi diesel. A year in my fuel consumption is combined 44 mpg. Which has dropped by 10 mpg since i got the car. Anyone have any ideas on why? My combined urban motorway is about the same so its baffling!

See my other post
I drive about 1000 miles a week.
I bought my 67 plate 1.6 blueHDI EAT6 S/S, on the 28th of feb 2019, it had just over 6500 on the clock, today its the 24/03/19 with 9100 on the clock, I am averaging 63 MPG by my calculations, but indicating 65 ish on the trip.
That said if you drive in excess of the max motorway speed it will drop dramatically.

44mpg does sound very low, check everything, air in tyres, oil level, remove roof bars, excess crap from boot and back seats, I would also suggest that you only reset one of the trip computers when you fill up and leave the other running as a comparison, if you still think you have an issue, have a chat with your dealer.

I would also suggest that you start monitoring how far in miles you get from each fill of the tank, I would suggest that if you fill the car when the fuel low comes on them you are putting about 9 galls, not 10.
I think you should be getting around 580 miles between fills at least, if you get better than that then please join in the thread.

PS I have never got anywhere near stated manufacturers figures, try using one of the real mpg sites, I enter mine regularly on the Honest john website.

#19 ·
Fudge1976 said:
Hi all,

You are doing something terribly wrong. Too heavy footed? tyres are too under pressure? not utilising the stop/start?
I am achieving driving it steady in traffic, sticking to speed limits and get 78mpg

#20 ·
I 32,000 miles in my old car - a Cactus 110 petrol Flair 2019 - and I averaged 49.6 mpg over that mileage, so your diesel should get more than that.

NB. Stop/start makes absolutely no contribution to lower fuel consumption, it is however a contributor to emissions reduction.

#21 ·
Rubik said:
davop said:
My current ave is 36.9.
If this is petrol, its awful. I don't care what members say, it needs attention.

Diesels 2014-17 have a cleaner burning engine and mine delivers 78mpg at 16C.
Yep I also think its too high. Using petrol. I've only done 1200km so far and drive reasonably conservative, not heavy footed and mostly city driving. I also use stop/start.

#23 ·
My Feel Cactus diesel gets approximately 210 Miles on £20 of fuel on most roads both urbane and autobahn. I always put £20 (15 lites up in the North Uk) in the tank when the distance left indicator says 150 miles of fuel left (two bars on the fuel gauge - to six.)
The average computers only as accurate as you wish it to be. I regularly get indications of 100+ MPG on the motorway, if I drop the speed down to 40-45MPH on a relatively level road. And the distance to travel in available fuel goes up. :ugeek:

But as soon as I hit a hill or incline (plenty all over Scotland) The computer falls to 94 and back up to 96 `ish.:lol:

Its just one more thing to tell that you spend far too much time watching it, rather than the road ahead. :twisted:

Average means average. If you want to gauge how much fuel your car drinks use the instantaneous one. Like speed cameras it never lies.

Or fill your car with it brimming and run it to almost choking distance of a fuel station (Not advisory and your car will drift like a Hippo, as it becomes tail heavy :cry: :cry: )

#24 ·
I'm getting a mininum about 58mpg with mostly motorway and A roads and some local stop/start driving. Getting close to 100mpg is pretty hard but I got close the other day.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Gadget

On a 25 mile 50mph speed restricted zone of motorway, I set the cruise control to 48 and achieved 97.2 for that stretch. Obviously the average plummets once I left those ideal conditions. Mine is a 2014 diesel flair 110hdi.

Attachments

#26 ·
renagade said:
Well Guy's my 2019 1.2 feel is returning 25 mpg just now but it only has 54 miles on the clock. Will the mpg improve with the miles???
It depends on the conditions and how you drive not simply by doing more miles - if you can find a flat stretch of road for a few miles and go about 50-55mph what happens to your average mpg when you reset one of the trip computers for the duration of that stretch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.