Shuddering/Loss of Power

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
paully

Re: Shuddering/Loss of Power

Post by paully » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:39 pm

Cactusboy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 pm

My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!

Too true we do, mine did it again this morning , without warning and against most of the `it won`t work in these conditions` circumstances..Damn thing..You have my sympathies Cactusboy
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

davew

Post by davew » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:58 am

Cactusboy wrote:

My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!

I don't follow this - your quote above is; "My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random..."

And yet you wrote on 7th July "it only happens immediately after changing gear, 3rd to 4th to 5th etc "

I can't reconcile your words "totally random" with "it only happens after changing gear...".

Is it the heat?

And BTW from previous threads/postings I have been under the impression that Paully's issue is to do with the ECO mode stopping the engine at the wrong moment.

paully

Post by paully » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:16 am

davew wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:58 am
[

And BTW from previous threads/postings I have been under the impression that Paully's issue is to do with the ECO mode stopping the engine at the wrong moment.

Sympathising with Cactusboy actually...Doesnt matter why it just `conks`, its disconcerting and sometimes quite dangerous when it does. If yours doesn`t be grateful..
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:40 pm

"My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!"
Posted by Cactusboy — Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 pm

My Cactus is the first car I have driven where I haven't lost the power steering when the engine was stationary. Especially when freewheeling with the engine turned off did I still have full power steering. Before anyone criticises me, I know this isn't advisable as it affects the braking system.

blackcountrycactus

Post by blackcountrycactus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 pm

would the low rolling resistance tyres and light weight be the reason
All black 1.6hdi flair with pano-2016

Cactusboy

Post by Cactusboy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 pm

davew wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:58 am
Cactusboy wrote:

I don't follow this - your quote above is; "My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random..."

And yet you wrote on 7th July "it only happens immediately after changing gear, 3rd to 4th to 5th etc "

I can't reconcile your words "totally random" with "it only happens after changing gear...".

Is it the heat?

It happens randomly immediately after completing a gear change, I can't explain it any better.

Just for info it's not happened recently, but there might have been a slight trace of it today...

Primekart

Post by Primekart » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:30 am

I guess the spark plugs campaign will rectify all of the above mentioned problem.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3531
BMW Car Club Israel

www.facebook.com/groups/BMWClubIsrael

Rado

Post by Rado » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:34 am

Hi everyone,
I seem to be having the same issue, though I'm with BlueHDi 100 S&S ETG6.
I just had the car checked at the local Citroen, but they have no idea what it might be. They also said any issues with the spark plugs would cause an error message, but the diagnostics came out clean. In any case, the issue with the spark plugs might not even be relevant for the diesel engines.
Has anyone found what might be causing it?

BoSto

Post by BoSto » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Have read through all posts on this issue because my C4 Cactus 1.2 Puretech Feel (110PS) shudders on speedy acceleration in 5th gear and usually around 100 KPH. Used a petrol engine cleaner like Cataclean but made no difference. Assume that there is no solution found and that we just have to grin and bear it. Only hope it never leaves me hung out to dry when overtaking.

stoian

Post by stoian » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Greetings from Bulgaria, fellow Cactus owners. I bought a 2016 Cactus with 110 PureTech engine and so far I absolutely love the car (coming from an old C4 Coupe). Sadly, it also has this shuddering/loss of power/engine misfire issue when accelerating fast.

I still have about 2.5 years of warranty so I'll be leaving the car in the local dealer's repair shop soon; however, reading this topic, I'm afraid technicians here wouldn't really know how to fix this issue :/ Fuel/oil in my country is notoriously bad, that's a real problem for some delicate French engines...

Anyway, I was doing some tests recently and here's what I found (may be applicable to your 110 PureTech cars too?):

- Turning OFF the stop/start system (ECO mode) seems to reduce the times this loss of power occurs significantly - but it still happens.
- The loss of power can happen in any gear, the only thing in common seems to be a more aggressive push on the throttle.
- I can hear a metallic rattling most of the times this happens, and on some occasions it may happen twice when accelerating in 5th gear.

Can anyone check if driving with ECO mode off actually helps? I know it's not really even a "workaround", but that may still be a clue. I'll update you after I get my car from the dealer in the near future and what they think about the issue.