"Smart" battery charger

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
Jbag

"Smart" battery charger

Post by Jbag » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi all!

My Cactus isn't getting much use at the moment due to the lockdown restrictions and some personal issues! :x

I am conscious with winter approaching the battery may go flat. Has anyone used a battery charger on their cactus?

Are they easy to use?

littlejim

Re: "Smart" battery charger

Post by littlejim » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:32 am

Hi, never had the need to charge as yet. Did find this in owner manual:

battery02.png

battery01.png

Shine 1.2 Pure Tech 110, Shark Grey

CactiBhoy

Post by CactiBhoy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:08 am

Never had to (yet). But like most current charging systems you take off the negative cable and sit the battery on a charger (if you have a 240v socket in you garage/outside wall) or a large extension lead. You can buy a decent trickle charger out of Ldil/Aldi. They do as asked of them.
`" `In order to win once, you have got to get used to losing a whole lot of times. That's why I no longer buy Fiats, or anything with a French wiring loom now.`" :evil:

KAR

Post by KAR » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:35 pm

You don't need to disconnect a terminal to charge a Start/Stop battery, (see instructions above).

Check the type of battery you have on your car. My Cactus is fitted with an AGM battery, and requires a charger that's also suitable for AGM. Normally, these will charge AGM at a slightly higher charge rate than standard Wet/EFB batteries.

Car batteries should normally be maintained with a fairly high level of charge, to ensure maximum battery life. Just because a battery starts a car (even with a low level of charge), does not mean it is in it's best operating condition.

To summarize, a regular low level of charge is not good for a car battery, whereas a high level is.
Cactus Flair 2019, PureTech 1.2 S&S 110 EAT6 auto. Pearl White with Black "Cross" Alloy Wheels.

chriskross

Post by chriskross » Sat May 08, 2021 1:56 pm

I've come to this tread as I've had a few Start/Stop issues with my new car.

Saw a charger in Lidl earlier (£60) but didn't look closely. Might go back for another look.

But I'm confused by that extract from the manual. It says 'With Stop & Start the battery does not have to be disconnected for charging', immediately followed by 'Disconnect the battery from the vehicle'!
2017 1.2 PureTech Flair EAT6 (s/s) 5dr (bought 2021)

KAR

Post by KAR » Sat May 08, 2021 9:10 pm

Owner's Manual - New - 17C4C.0041 09-17

Battery Charging.jpg

Owner's Manual - New - 19C4C.0040 09-19

Battery Charging 02.jpg

Cactus Flair 2019, PureTech 1.2 S&S 110 EAT6 auto. Pearl White with Black "Cross" Alloy Wheels.

IanHurley

Post by IanHurley » Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 am

I can confirm the battery on an AGM smart charger does not require the battery to be disconnected. If a battery is diconnected you should go through the BSI reset procedure when reconnecting ( a few will rubbish this idea but it is recomended by PSA and reconnection without doing so can cause a number of gremlins)

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Sun May 09, 2021 8:59 pm

I bought one of these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/9024678617
a Voche 12v 1 amp battery charger off ebay.
anything similar would do the job.
Very low ampage (1 amp) so basically a trickle charger/conditioner. low enough ampage that it won't cause problems if its left for days or weeks, keeps the battery nicely on top of things because of course your car never sleeps. some will suggest 4 amp is better but I'm not trying to "charge" the battery.
Its something I do for our electric race car
I use it on the cactus and the MB if they are sitting under the carport just to keep them topped up, bonus is it means the stop/start works as well.
connect +ve to battery and -ve to the engine mount as per the diagrams.
C4 Black Flair 145 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s. SLK350