So what tyres are we all using?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis
nc111

Re: So what tyres are we all using?

Post by nc111 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Rubik wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:27 pm
I am driving quite happily on Chinese tyres at £50 each. They offer better performance than Goodyear offering a superb grip even on wet roads and on cornering. In my opinion, the longer I drive on them, only fools invest in the more expensive brands.

The proof is in the pudding, if anyone wishes to test drive my Cactus and is in East Yorkshire, give me a bell. You cannot get a better invitation than that. :D
You don't say what brand?
1.6 BlueHDi Feel in Black on Black with Privacy Glass, Feel City Park Pack, and Navigation & HiFi pack,

nc111

Post by nc111 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 pm

routemaster1 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:36 am
nc111 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 pm
My Cactus came with Continental tyres, but the fronts are approaching 3.5mm so most likely be changing sometime in the next six months. On past cars I don't usually go for high end tyres because really you'd want to get the maximum mileage out of them and stopping distances greatly deteriorate towards the end, so I'll change once below 3mm. Does the compound component get revealed on tyres, after all a selling point of tyres is often how long they last with people getting attracted to the longer lasting claims of higher costing tyres, when if you think about it most people in a tricky situation would surely want better grip than longevity of the tyre. Just like in formula 1 soft compound tyres give better grip but need changing more often. So really rather than concentrating on brands is what compound people prefer a better discussion? However I feel this could be experience related. For instance if you've driven for years, decades even, never had an accident or been saved by stopping distance of good grip, then I can see why going for tyres that will last especially if a well known brand would appeal, but should we be looking at softer tyres that might need changing more often.
Even though you may never have needed maximum grip from your tyres, you never know when you may need it. I've twice had people suddenly block my path when I've been doing 55-60mph and needed emergency braking. Unfortunately in both cases I was unable to stop in time, but I may have been able to get enough speed off and enough steering to hit the lighter rear end of the cars, so decent tyres may be the reason why, in both cases, despite my cars being written off, I came away without a scratch. And I may not still be here if it were not for the seat belts.
So is that because you were using more expensive tyres? Using wet condition tyres? Changing tyres well before treads wore down? Yes it's better to have tyres that stop well in an emergency, but are you saying one tyre over others. Normally they give weather rating and noise level
1.6 BlueHDi Feel in Black on Black with Privacy Glass, Feel City Park Pack, and Navigation & HiFi pack,

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:39 pm

nc111 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 pm
routemaster1 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:36 am
nc111 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 pm
My Cactus came with Continental tyres, but the fronts are approaching 3.5mm so most likely be changing sometime in the next six months. On past cars I don't usually go for high end tyres because really you'd want to get the maximum mileage out of them and stopping distances greatly deteriorate towards the end, so I'll change once below 3mm. Does the compound component get revealed on tyres, after all a selling point of tyres is often how long they last with people getting attracted to the longer lasting claims of higher costing tyres, when if you think about it most people in a tricky situation would surely want better grip than longevity of the tyre. Just like in formula 1 soft compound tyres give better grip but need changing more often. So really rather than concentrating on brands is what compound people prefer a better discussion? However I feel this could be experience related. For instance if you've driven for years, decades even, never had an accident or been saved by stopping distance of good grip, then I can see why going for tyres that will last especially if a well known brand would appeal, but should we be looking at softer tyres that might need changing more often.
Even though you may never have needed maximum grip from your tyres, you never know when you may need it. I've twice had people suddenly block my path when I've been doing 55-60mph and needed emergency braking. Unfortunately in both cases I was unable to stop in time, but I may have been able to get enough speed off and enough steering to hit the lighter rear end of the cars, so decent tyres may be the reason why, in both cases, despite my cars being written off, I came away without a scratch. And I may not still be here if it were not for the seat belts.
So is that because you were using more expensive tyres? Using wet condition tyres? Changing tyres well before treads wore down? Yes it's better to have tyres that stop well in an emergency, but are you saying one tyre over others. Normally they give weather rating and noise level
Wet grip, rolling resistance and noise.

robbo7444

Post by robbo7444 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Replaced 2x fronts yesterday.
I fitted Kumho Ecsta PA51 205 50 r17
Original efficientgrips couldn't hold their pressure due to punctures. I think I had about 3 plugs in one of em including the sidewall!
I achieved 35 000km on them.
Kumhos are a quality tyre no matter what series and quite popular in Australia here. They feel pretty good so far, running 35psi on front and much more cushioned ride than the goodyears at 30psi. Noise is same maybe less.

Also got this little tpms from ebay a few weeks ago for like $32 aud. Seems to work great and keeps me well informed. See the pressure loss in pos 1!

Mike66

Post by Mike66 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:26 pm

What tyres came on the Rip Curl?

I see 'Goodyear mud+snow all weather tyres' in reviews of the 2016 Rip Curl, but none seem to say which model of tyre that is.

I'd guess Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 ..... but I'm wondering if there is a more 'chunky' fit tyre.

Cheers
Mike

Mike66

Post by Mike66 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:47 pm

No answers on the Rip Curl tyres ............

Is anybody running Michelin CrossClimates? What are they like on the Cactus.

Cheers
Mike

oesterby

Post by oesterby » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Mike66 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:47 pm
No answers on the Rip Curl tyres ............

Is anybody running Michelin CrossClimates? What are they like on the Cactus.

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike
They´ re actually pretty good although a bit more noisy than summer tires.
Jakob

Mike66

Post by Mike66 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:52 pm

oesterby wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:16 pm
Hi Mike
They´ re actually pretty good although a bit more noisy than summer tires.
Jakob
Thanks Jakob,

I have already gone ahead and ordered a set and they will go on the Cactus this week 8-)

Cheers
Mike

Mike66

Post by Mike66 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:57 pm

The Michelin CrossClimates are now on, I've only had a run round the block in the dark and the rain on the way home, but the car feels much, much better and now goes where I point it 8-)

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 pm

Mike66 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:57 pm
The Michelin CrossClimates are now on, I've only had a run round the block in the dark and the rain on the way home, but the car feels much, much better and now goes where I point it 8-)
I query what you mean by "and now goes where I point it"

I had the same issue with my Cactus, it wanting to go either right or left and vice versa especially on acceleration. It turned out to be Citroens tracking specifications. The wheels were tracking too far outwards. It took a backstreet garage, the garage who fitted my brilliant quiet Chinese tyres to re-track the car. Now it won't skid at all from wheel to wheel on harsh acceleration and drives in a straight line. :P