SMEG+ upgrade to Satnav

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
davew

Re: SMEG+ upgrade to Satnav

Post by davew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Pvanv wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:52 pm
Vaho,
A much better fix would be a way to fix an iPad or android tablet with Google maps to the dashboard and get rid of SMEG altogether! I have just spent half an hour sitting in the car trying to find places I have to go tomorrow on the satnav, and have given up. My car is 2016, and the satnav could do with a serious User Interface upgrade. For tomorrow, I will be fixing the phone to the windscreen and using Google. For me SMEG is a total failure.
I agree SMEG is not as convenient to use as a handheld TomTom, but are you following the suggested method in the handbook?
The following post shows the relevant handbook page explanation of how to entering a number of destinations into the "Contacts" list for easy access later...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1195&p=13379#p9704

Pvanv

Post by Pvanv » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 pm

Davew,
An example of my issues with SMEG: I had to go to a small town in the west of Ireland called Westport (pop. about 6,000). I admit it is not a city, but the entry fields are restricted to Cities.
When I type W-E-S-T into the "City" field, and it jumps to "Westtown. Co. Waterford" and does not allow the entry of any more letters. It effectively gives a choice of one, but Westtown is a small village (much smaller than Westport) some 315 km from Westport (according to Google Maps). Not much use to me.
Flair, PureTec 82 manual, Shark Grey

davew

Post by davew » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am

Pvanv wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 pm
Davew,
An example of my issues with SMEG: I had to go to a small town in the west of Ireland called Westport (pop. about 6,000). I admit it is not a city, but the entry fields are restricted to Cities.
When I type W-E-S-T into the "City" field, and it jumps to "Westtown. Co. Waterford" and does not allow the entry of any more letters. It effectively gives a choice of one, but Westtown is a small village (much smaller than Westport) some 315 km from Westport (according to Google Maps). Not much use to me.
If you could give a couple of locations - preferably hotels or building addresses, that you have problems with, I'd like to try them on my satnavs ...

Pvanv

Post by Pvanv » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Davew,
It is quite random, I was looking to get to Kerry Regional Airport, but the satnav will not permit the entry of Farrenfore, the town where the airport is located . I was then surprised that is accepted Tourmakeady, which was unexpected. It does not accept the Irish postcodes(Eircodes), although it does accept those of other countries( UK and Netherlands at least).
Flair, PureTec 82 manual, Shark Grey

davew

Post by davew » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:38 am

Pvanv wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:38 pm
Davew,
It is quite random, I was looking to get to Kerry Regional Airport, but the satnav will not permit the entry of Farrenfore, the town where the airport is located . I was then surprised that is accepted Tourmakeady, which was unexpected. It does not accept the Irish postcodes(Eircodes), although it does accept those of other countries( UK and Netherlands at least).

My understanding is that all satnavs actually perform their guidance/ route directions by the sole use of the latitude and longitude of the start and finish points. If a location identifier in the form of a post code or address is entered into the satnav, these location identifiers have to be first converted in the satnav unit by a look up table, or an algorithm, into the corresponding lat and long values before the route can be planned and subsequently used for guidance.

Consequently, although it may be convenient to enter a post code or an address into the satnav, it is not the only method and the same route planning and guidance is available by entering the latitude and longitude values corresponding to the destination.

For the area that you mention - Westport, Mayo, I see various hotels etc that have an internet presence - these often give the latitude and longitude in addition to the address and Eircode...Presumably this is to assistance users of Satnavs which cannot cope with Eircodes.

In any event the latitude and longitude can be looked up at this web site which seems to cope with locations worldwide:
http://www.get-direction.com/address-to-lat-long.html

So using this web site for your example of one of your problem locations - Kerry Airport - the lat and long value can be found just be entering Kerry Airport, Ireland into the address box and the full address is returned as "Kerry Airport, Farranfore, Kerry, Ireland", together with the latitude in "Degrees - Minute - Seconds" format, given as 52 - 10 - 53 N, and the longitude given as 9 - 32 - 14 W

The actual effort then required for setting the destination into the Cactus Satnav is to enter the six digits for longitude and the five for longitude into the specific lat and long boxes on the screen, so this is not greatly different from entering an address, letter by letter, or an Eircode .

The User manual explains the Navigation menu sequence to reach the latitude and longitude entry screen. I tried the method and it seems straightforward.
Last edited by davew on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm

I nearly always look at online maps when I am going somewhere new, or somewhere I’m not sur about. It’s easy to pinpoint the spot you want, rather than use a postcode which gives a general area. Only downside is, the online map shows in decimal, which I then have to convert to degrees minutes and seconds. But that’s easy using one of several free apps available.

Also, regarding satnav, a Citroen service advisor told me last week, that any cactus built after a certain date in 2015 (can’t remember the exact date) gets 5 years free updates. But you have to ask when you go for service, it’s not an automatic part of the service. And it can take 4/5 hours.
PureTec 82 manual, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

srperry

Post by srperry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm

The2ems wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm
Also, regarding satnav, a Citroen service advisor told me last week, that any cactus built after a certain date in 2015 (can’t remember the exact date) gets 5 years free updates. But you have to ask when you go for service, it’s not an automatic part of the service. And it can take 4/5 hours.
Mine is April 2016, and I have 5 years of map updates included - I download them and update them myself, it takes just over 50 minutes to do the whole of Europe including GB/Ireland...
PureTech 110 S&S Flair, Polar White/Black Bumps, Black Leather/Cloth with Stone Grey ambience + CityPark and BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Front & Rear cameras

davew

Post by davew » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:32 pm

srperry wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm
The2ems wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm
Mine is April 2016, and I have 5 years of map updates included - I download them and update them myself, it takes just over 50 minutes to do the whole of Europe including GB/Ireland...
Is the latest update compatible with the Republic of Ireland Eircode system?
For example V93 KHF7 is the 7 character Eircode for Kerry Airport...

srperry

Post by srperry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I tried it and the Eircodes still won't work - and they don't in Sygic either...
PureTech 110 S&S Flair, Polar White/Black Bumps, Black Leather/Cloth with Stone Grey ambience + CityPark and BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Front & Rear cameras

davew

Post by davew » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:59 pm

srperry wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 pm
[/quote]

No, I tried it and the Eircodes still won't work - and they don't in Sygic either...
[/quote]

Thanks for your report - it seems to confirm that the only viable way, even with the latest updates, for many destinations in the Republic of Ireland is to find their lat and long coordinates before setting off and enter those into the sat nav...

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”