SMEG+ upgrade to Satnav

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
Pvanv

Re: SMEG+ upgrade to Satnav

Post by Pvanv » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 am

As I have to use another internet connected device to find the lat/long coordinates of my destination, and convert them to deg/mins/secs to suit the SMEG entry format, it is simply much more convenient, and less error prone, to search for the destination on Google Maps on the phone, and when it is found, click “directions” and “drive” and clip the phone to the windscreen. It is just a pity the car can’t mirror the phone’s screen. Google actually issues it’s verbal instructions through the Bluetooth connection to the cars sound system.
Last edited by Pvanv on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flair, PureTec 82 manual, Shark Grey

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:46 am

srperry wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm
The2ems wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm
Also, regarding satnav, a Citroen service advisor told me last week, that any cactus built after a certain date in 2015 (can’t remember the exact date) gets 5 years free updates. But you have to ask when you go for service, it’s not an automatic part of the service. And it can take 4/5 hours.
Mine is April 2016, and I have 5 years of map updates included - I download them and update them myself, it takes just over 50 minutes to do the whole of Europe including GB/Ireland...
Do you use a 16gb usb stick?
PureTec 82 manual, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

davew

Post by davew » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:13 am

Pvanv wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 am
As I have to use another internet connected device to find the lat/long coordinates of my destination, and convert them to deg/mons/secs to suit the SMEG entry format, it is simply much more convenient, and less error prone, to search for the destination on Google Maps on the phone, and when it is found, click “directions” and “drive” and clip the phone to the windscreen. It is just a pity the car can’t mirror the phone’s screen. Google actually issues it’s verbal instructions through the Bluetooth connection to the cars sound system.
What I find puzzling is that you have told us repeatedly for almost two years now, that you have great difficulty with the Cactus satnav, and have totally given up on it - at least five times in the past 13 months - and yet you return to the topic over and over again...

Pvanv

Post by Pvanv » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Davew,
Thank you for your research, and apologies if I seem short. I do not really want to be considered some sort of satnav troll. As you’ve noticed, my posts started some two years ago when I got my Cactus. It is my first car with an integral satnav. The feature has been quite a disappointment to me, but, as it’s button constantly glows at the bottom left of the touchscreen whenever I drive somewhere, I do occasionally put it on to use as a moving map for information, or to give it another try.

The car itself is fine, and the satnav is probably fine if your in a country where addresses are standardised and the postcodes are accepted by it, but I have found it very disappointing. If it were a stand alone consumer product, I would probably have returned it to the retailer about two years ago.

Still puzzled?
Flair, PureTec 82 manual, Shark Grey

paully

Post by paully » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:05 pm

To be fair it is an onboard aid to driving.None of them are as good, or as comprehensive as a stand alone. In case you`re thinking its cheapo Citroen, it isnt...A friend has an XC60 Volvo..all singing and dancing. He was using the onboard system when he got stuck in a long tailback south on the M5. The system offered a detour and he accepted it. It simply took him back, via a circuitous route to the M5, only 2 junctions back from where he came off!!..

They are only so good, I was using mine this weekend in unfamilar area and it froze on me twice causing Nav problems..But that`s what an onboard system is. I never regard any onboard system as the full package. If you want the lot, use a stand alone
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

srperry

Post by srperry » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 pm

The2ems wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:46 am
srperry wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm
The2ems wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm
Also, regarding satnav, a Citroen service advisor told me last week, that any cactus built after a certain date in 2015 (can’t remember the exact date) gets 5 years free updates. But you have to ask when you go for service, it’s not an automatic part of the service. And it can take 4/5 hours.
Mine is April 2016, and I have 5 years of map updates included - I download them and update them myself, it takes just over 50 minutes to do the whole of Europe including GB/Ireland...
Do you use a 16gb usb stick?
I use a 32Gb MicroSD card formatted to FAT32 in a USB adaptor...
PureTech 110 S&S Flair, Polar White/Black Bumps, Black Leather/Cloth with Stone Grey ambience + CityPark and BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Front & Rear cameras

Medjay

Post by Medjay » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:12 pm

I have a C4 Cactus of 2016 with the smeg A1 it is possible to put a one Smeg H1 of 2014?

vaho

Post by vaho » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Yes it is. H1 has no DAB though.
Citroen Cactus Feel 1.2, 2015, pearl white
Citroen C6 Exclusive 2.7HDI, 2006, black

Medjay

Post by Medjay » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:19 pm

What I intend is just the navigation and camera.
Then it is possible to place an H1 with two years older!

vaho

Post by vaho » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:52 pm

as long it is SMEG+ with software 5.XX.X you are good to go.
Citroen Cactus Feel 1.2, 2015, pearl white
Citroen C6 Exclusive 2.7HDI, 2006, black

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”