Time for change, testing and feedback from you

All C4 Cactus related discussions
rtodorovsky

Time for change, testing and feedback from you

Post by rtodorovsky » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Hello Spikey comrades :)

I decided to part ways with my 2016 friend and went shopping around for a new car. I can't believe how much this car made me pretentious about ride quality, driving position (1.9m, 6.2"), seats, road noise the whole package.

I test drove a Mini Countryman, what fresh hell is this, then an X3, again I don't really need my kidney stones dealt with (i like them :D ). The build quality is a bit better, but not by a lot. The ride is terrible...

Then went to test the C3 and the new Cactus, the feeling is so much different :mrgreen:. Buttery smooth with vaseline :lol:

Pity the new Cactus is so bald (if no roof rails, they said they can add them for free?), bland and dreary... I feel I will switch to a C3 auto. It has so much kit and is cheap as hell for what it delivers. The new Cactus suspension and sound isolation are very good, C3 is less floaty but the insulation is the same I feel.

The other option is C3 Aircross, they had no test car, so I wonder anyone drove one? Feedback will be much appreciated.
1.6 BlueHDI ETG 6 Shine Hello Yello & Black 6sPacks

Bewar3them00n

Re: Time for change, testing and feedback from you

Post by Bewar3them00n » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 pm

I had the C3 Aircross for a day, what a car! I was instantly in love with it, in much the same way I was the Cactus, it feels really solid, the ride is smoother, quieter over bumps, I like the ride height too. Bodes well for the C5 Aircross, which I will consider in a few years time if they introduce a hybrid.
Go test one, you won’t be disappointed
1.2 PureTech (82bhp) Flair 5d Obsidian 17" Alloys

Bewar3them00n

Post by Bewar3them00n » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:12 pm

On a similar note, I’m considering trading in for a bigger car, due my kids shooting up and demanding more leg room, and my wife more space in the boot. I have my eye on a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, as I only do about 12 miles a day, and the odd long trip, so I want to be more environmentally friendly, and save money at the same time.
As much as I love my Cactus, as do the kids, it’s time for a change. If the C5 has a hybrid option introduced, we may well come back, as we love the design flair that Citroen have.

Moro

Post by Moro » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:41 am

Have you tried a VAG MQB platform car with adaptive dampers? I have these on my VW Golf GTi and it rides smoother than my Cactus when in “comfort” mode even though it is on 18” wheels. VW Tiguan/Seat Ateca and Skoda Karoq are the SUV variants with this optional feature.
Flair 110S&S Arctic Silver / Grey Airbumps : Habana : Panoramic Roof : Spare Wheel

FrankBullitt

Post by FrankBullitt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:39 am

Bewar3them00n wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:12 pm
...I have my eye on a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, as I only do about 12 miles a day, and the odd long trip, so I want to be more environmentally friendly, and save money at the same time...
A few words of caution - drive the Outlander for a decent period before signing up as I know a few people with them and they are truly awful cars to drive - people get them as a company car because the tax is cheap, it’s the same rationale as buying a Pick-up. They are also gutless on petrol power (it’s a naturally aspirated small engine pulling along over 2 tonnes of truck and battery).

The costs of replacing your car with an Outlander PHEV will far outweighs the minimal savings on 12 miles of fuel a day, I would be looking for a petrol saloon/ estate car, something like a Mazda 6 until Hybrid tech is brought into something appealing (unless you can afford the Passat GTE)

davew

Post by davew » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:53 am

FrankBullitt wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:39 am

A few words of caution - drive the Outlander for a decent period before signing up as I know a few people with them and they are truly awful cars to drive - people get them as a company car because the tax is cheap, it’s the same rationale as buying a Pick-up. They are also gutless on petrol power (it’s a naturally aspirated small engine pulling along over 2 tonnes of truck and battery).
That reads as very good advice - I had no idea that the Outlander weight is twice that of the Cactus. The Mitsubishi must seem like driving a tank in comparison. And the new vehicle on-the-road prices are about in the same ratio as their weights. Whew.

paully

Post by paully » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 am

I know someone who has just got rid of an Outlander for a Kia Sportage and wishes he`d made the swap sooner
110 Flair in Pearlescent White, Leather interior with Black Bumps

FrankBullitt

Post by FrankBullitt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:18 am

The keen weight is actually 1860kg but loaded they are 2370kg - the engine is a 2.0 petrol with a paltry 121bhp and 140lb/ft of torque, clearly at the moment of ‘need’ it combines battery power but the issue many seem to have is when driving normally for any distance the economy is shocking.

And yes, they are expensive - heavily subsidised for fleets and on company car tax but as a private purchase they make no real sense.

I know a few people who bought them to tow a caravan and have found the battery depleted too quickly which means any sustained inclines see you having a combined 3.5t + mass being hauled by a 2.0N/A petrol engine and the accompanying economy and sweaty brow!

Bewar3them00n

Post by Bewar3them00n » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:06 pm

Hmmmm. Re the Outlander, I may well have to reconsider! It’s hard trying to do the right thing! I need a bigger car, I most certainly do not want a diesel ( 8 x more polluting than petrol according to the latest test results untainted by skewed results) which rules out a large number of vehicles. I’m stumped my budget is £20k max no diesel, and I’m looking for decent economy, any ideas?

rtodorovsky

Post by rtodorovsky » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:19 am

Well, I tested a few cars today, Avensis Hybrid, Corolla (Back to the Past), and Seat Arona, I fell in love with the Spanish fly :D.

Fast, agile, great sitting position, ok over potholes. Adaptive cruise control costs 150 euro... Fully kitted top trim (not FR, no auto) is 20k euro... and it has big boothy also.

I have a test drive for the new Eclipse Cross but I heard that it's the same as the Outlander.

Today I'm going for Qashqai, Megane and whatever else.
1.6 BlueHDI ETG 6 Shine Hello Yello & Black 6sPacks

Return to “Main C4 Cactus chat”