Postcodes Not Recognised On Sat Nav

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
davew

Re: Postcodes Not Recognised On Sat Nav

Post by davew » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:48 am

According to a Brit who resides in France - writing in 2016 -

"Tthere's a famous trick with UK postcodes: you can send a letter to someone with just the postcode and the house number written on the envelope and it'll get delivered... UK postcodes are accurate to within about 20-30 houses...

This doesn't work in France - my particular French postcode covers a population of about 150,000 people."

I think your "brickwall"you've encountered in entering destinations into the satnav is actually more of a minor chicane on the route -
If you don't have a post code or are not happy with the way the satnav is dealing with it - you can get the lat / long during your route planning activity from various web sites such as here http://www.get-direction.com/address-to-lat-long.html and enter these into the Cactus satnav on-screen lat/ long box.

Using this web site your Plymouth Post code PL1 3EW comes up (in Degrees-minutes-seconds format) as lat = 50-21-53 N , long= 4-9-32W.

srperry

Post by srperry » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 am

Albert69 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm
Hi, i'm off on a French road trip next week and thought i'd program my Sat Nav with all the important destinations i'm driving to and I've hit a brick wall straight away. I'm trying to program Plymouth Docks into it with the postcode PL1 3EW but the sat nav won't accept this. I've got a TOM TOM VIA 135 sat nav and the postcode was recognised straight away. Seems a shame i might have to attach this to my windscreen when i have a perfectly good sat nav built in. What am i missing here? Why won't postcode PL1 3EW enter on my Cactus sat nav?

Your help is much appreciated.
Just tried it on my Cactus satnav and it went straight in with no issues. The only time I've ever had an issue with entering postcodes is when they've recently been changed or they're in new developments that the maps haven't yet been taught about.
PureTech 110 S&S Flair, Polar White/Black Bumps, Black Leather/Cloth with Stone Grey ambience + CityPark and BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Front & Rear cameras

cactusjack

Post by cactusjack » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 pm

blackcountrycactus wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 am
The honfleur bridge is impressive
Went over that in May but not as impressive as the Millau bridge/viaduct. Both still put some of ours to shame though.
Yellow/black 17" black crosscuts Panoramic roof Habana interior Flair 110

blackcountrycactus

Post by blackcountrycactus » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 pm

cactusjack wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 pm
blackcountrycactus wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 am
The honfleur bridge is impressive
Went over that in May but not as impressive as the Millau bridge/viaduct. Both still put some of ours to shame though.
its on my bucket list 8-)

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 pm

I had this when driving from England into Scotland. I had to select the Scotland map on the SatNav. I'd say it'll be the same for France, etc
C4 Flair, Jelly Red c/w black bitz & all the bells and whistles

Peopleselbowpad

Post by Peopleselbowpad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:35 pm

How do you input the post code and house number into the sat nav? Whenever I try the numbers are not available.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

davew

Post by davew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:32 am

Peopleselbowpad wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:35 pm
How do you input the post code and house number into the sat nav? Whenever I try the numbers are not available.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks
The post code is entered into the "City" text box.
This should work ok for UK post codes.

Peopleselbowpad

Post by Peopleselbowpad » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks. What about the house number?

davew

Post by davew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 am

Peopleselbowpad wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:40 am
Thanks. What about the house number?
The logic adopted by the satnav software designer seems to be:

If a post code is entered, no other information is necessary (ie street name & house number) and these details cannot be entered.

However, if a city name is entered, a road name can then be entered and then a house number.

Sort of makes sense...

If you only have a vague information of the destination (eg name of an airport) it is possible to get the latitude and longitude for direct entry into the satnav, from various web sites before you set off.

For example this site http://www.get-direction.com/address-to-lat-long.html allows you to view a map of a city / region and click the mouse to mark a location and then can immediately see its position coordinates.
The satnav menu allows these coordinates to be entered as the destination location by choosing the satnav secondary level menu. Might seem a bit fiddly but it does work.

Peopleselbowpad

Post by Peopleselbowpad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Thanks for your help 👍

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”