Whistle noise..

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
Freerangecactus

Whistle noise..

Post by Freerangecactus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi all,

At the moment everything works as it should be... but since a couple of weeks I get a really annoying whistle noise when using the climate control, could this mean it's developing a fault?

davew

Re: Whistle noise..

Post by davew » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:55 am

Freerangecactus wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 pm
Hi all,

At the moment everything works as it should be... but since a couple of weeks I get a really annoying whistle noise when using the climate control, could this mean it's developing a fault?
Since there are no controls, settings or handbook references to Climate Control, I'm assuming you mean air conditioning?
The whistling noise could be caused by a leaf or similar obstruction in the air passage ways, either before or after the fan.
You might have to experiment with the air flow routing to see if a particular air route is worse than others.

Freerangecactus

Post by Freerangecactus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Yes I meant air condition, it's called climate control in my other car so that's where the mix up is coming from.

The sound only occurs when the air condition is activated whether on auto or manual low or full speed. It doesn't make any difference which air route is selected either.

davew

Post by davew » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Freerangecactus wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm
Yes I meant air condition, it's called climate control in my other car so that's where the mix up is coming from.

The sound only occurs when the air condition is activated whether on auto or manual low or full speed. It doesn't make any difference which air route is selected either.
Ok understood.
It might be worth just for experiment removing the air filters, aka pollen filters, with location shown in this video.

Take a look at these filter elements for signs of blockage/ dust accumulation and then still without filters in place, see if the noise has changed.

Freerangecactus

Post by Freerangecactus » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:58 am

Thanks for your reply, I have replaced those filters a month ago. It's hard to explain in writing but I don't think the noise is generated by any obstruction in the duct system.
In this case the noise would have changed by variations in airflow but it seems stable regardless the fan speed.

Cactuslover

Post by Cactuslover » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:53 am

Once in another my car was whistling. Then the technician sprinkled the spray on the internal fan and the whistle stopped.

davew

Post by davew » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 am

Freerangecactus wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:58 am
Thanks for your reply, I have replaced those filters a month ago. It's hard to explain in writing but I don't think the noise is generated by any obstruction in the duct system.
In this case the noise would have changed by variations in airflow but it seems stable regardless the fan speed.
Some people might suggest that the occurrence of a whistling sound from the a/c just two weeks after changing those pollen filters might be more than a coincidence...
Another check could be to listen for any whistle sound from the engine area, when standing outside the car with the bonnet open and a/c running.