Phone holder

All C4 Cactus related discussions
The2ems

Phone holder

Post by The2ems » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:15 pm

I think this has been asked a while back, but has anyone come across a decent phone holder? I don’t really like the idea of sticking something in the air vent, but I’m open to suggestions. I love my Cactus, but am becoming increasingly unhappy with the satnav, and the faff of having to update, if and when one becomes available. In my previous cars I always used a Tom Tom, but my daughter had now claimed that :o , so I was thinking of giving Waze a try.
PureTec 82 manual, 2018, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

Endersgame

Re: Phone holder

Post by Endersgame » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:29 pm

Hi. Waze is very good. Happy to vouch for that and I refer it to the Cactus satnav, even with an update. Mines held in place using a stick to the windscreen holder. Needs to be a good one though as the phones are so big.

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:59 am

Long term Waze user (before they even had a base map and we had to draw our own) and have a basic YOSH magnetic mount in the air vent because the Cactus seems to be devoid of surfaces at an angle where you can put something and I don't really like windscreen mounted holders.

It holds my P30 Pro in a big metal Spigen case (heavy!) well.

Obviously you block the vent and also risk blowing hot air onto your phone so need to be wary of this but I like being cold so it works for me.

(Edit: Are Amazon links blocked on here? Can anyone see the one I've posted above? It won't show for me for some reason, I just get a big space)

I don't think I've ever used the Citroen sat nav to actual navigate anywhere, it's too much of a faff.

Brodit do an option that adds a plate behind the windscreen pillar trim but their other options are pretty much vent based:

https://www.brodit.se/product.html?loca ... &year=2015

The 605043 looks like it could solve the lack of flat vertical surfaces issue we have :)
'16 Flair Edition - Obsidian Black - BlueHDi 100

Mike66

Post by Mike66 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Your Amazon link is displaying fine.

I'm pretty new to the Cactus, but after updating the maps, I'm getting along fine with it so far.

Cheers
Mike

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 pm

thetapeworm wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:59 am
Long term Waze user (before they even had a base map and we had to draw our own) and have a basic YOSH magnetic mount in the air vent because the Cactus seems to be devoid of surfaces at an angle where you can put something and I don't really like windscreen mounted holders.

It holds my P30 Pro in a big metal Spigen case (heavy!) well.

Obviously you block the vent and also risk blowing hot air onto your phone so need to be wary of this but I like being cold so it works for me.

(Edit: Are Amazon links blocked on here? Can anyone see the one I've posted above? It won't show for me for some reason, I just get a big space)

I don't think I've ever used the Citroen sat nav to actual navigate anywhere, it's too much of a faff.

Brodit do an option that adds a plate behind the windscreen pillar trim but their other options are pretty much vent based:

https://www.brodit.se/product.html?loca ... &year=2015

The 605043 looks like it could solve the lack of flat vertical surfaces issue we have :)
I’ve just tried Wave for the first time, apart from sitting at home messing about. I must say it seems like it could be an option. I particularly like the voice. Sounds like a proper person, rather than computer generated. It also gives good clear instructions in plenty of time. Just need to sort out the holder now. I do like the idea of that magnetic one, but I fear that the air vents are too low down. And I’m still not convinced about attaching to the vents. Doesn’t really seem as though it would be secure. And do the vents need to be permanently open. I guess I could send for one, then send it back if not suitable. I’ll have to have a think.

robbo7444

Post by robbo7444 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 pm

I have just been looking at a good spot in the cactus for a phone holder today.. Not that Ive tried them- but dont the vent mounts flop around a bit??
So far i usually put phone on seat next to me and struggle a fair bit.
Have to drive in to the city center today and gonna try rest it landscape wise in front of the speedo! Havent tried that one before!

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:46 am

robbo7444 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 pm
I have just been looking at a good spot in the cactus for a phone holder today.. Not that Ive tried them- but dont the vent mounts flop around a bit??
So far i usually put phone on seat next to me and struggle a fair bit.
Have to drive in to the city center today and gonna try rest it landscape wise in front of the speedo! Havent tried that one before!
That would be a perfect position, but I fear it’s going to end up on the floor :roll:

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 am

The2ems wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 pm
I’ve just tried Wave for the first time, apart from sitting at home messing about. I must say it seems like it could be an option. I particularly like the voice. Sounds like a proper person, rather than computer generated. It also gives good clear instructions in plenty of time. Just need to sort out the holder now. I do like the idea of that magnetic one, but I fear that the air vents are too low down. And I’m still not convinced about attaching to the vents. Doesn’t really seem as though it would be secure. And do the vents need to be permanently open. I guess I could send for one, then send it back if not suitable. I’ll have to have a think.
Waze has its issues at times but most of the satnav offerings seem to and in my experience it has less than most - some kind of lane detail like that from TomTom and others would be good but having edited the Waze maps I can see it would be a fairly big overhead to introduce to the community and expect them to update.

It really comes into its own when it comes to things like accidents, objects on the road, floods, police & mobile cameras etc - if the community are reporting things it's able to help lots of people avoid an area or just gather traffic data from active users and suggest better routes.

On the mounting side of things the magnetic one I use pushes into the vent with rubber coated "fingers" and effectively locks the vertical movement of the vent itself. I have it positioned in the top left and the metal disk on the phone in the bottom half of the device so it's up reasonably high. Not eye level of course but in a position where you can glance at it without losing sight of the road. My phone does have a large screen though so on a smaller device this might not be ideal.

The vents operate as normal, it's just that the phone blocks some of the flow of air from that one and it can't be moved around.

I've done a lot of long trips with the phone mounted there and over some really shocking road surfaces and haven't experienced any problems with the phone moving around - and my phone weighs a fair bit in its protective metal & rubber case. it's £5 or so for the mount I use, you can get them even cheaper if you can wait for it to arrive from China, so not a big financial outlay to try out.
'16 Flair Edition - Obsidian Black - BlueHDi 100

Markaren76

Post by Markaren76 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:13 pm

I’ve tried many phone holders and have settled on a sort of hybrid. It’s a 360’ ball with a magnetic washer/ring on the back of the iPhone. Works really well. I’ll post a picture later today with a link to the eBay listing. I use this same system on 3 different cars

M

Markaren76

Post by Markaren76 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am

Hi folks
Here is my solution to a phone mount in my cactus to use my iPhone as a satnav. It works well for me. I have a similar set up in 2 other cars

The 360 ball is stuck to the screen with double sided tape. Its been there for around 12 months now. the magnetic ring is stuck to the back of my iPhone so the phone can 'hang' on the ball. To stop the phone swinging and hold it upright the air vent phone holder is placed below .
As suggested by others, it's a pain to fit a phone holder in top of the dash . I did try the silicon type below. it worked ok but not as good as the mag ball. In my view.

Sorry pics are upside down!!!

Hope this helps
Mark

Screenshot 2019-11-13 at 09.38.22.png

IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1356.jpeg

IMG_1355.jpeg

Cactus phone mount.jpeg