Interior lighting - has anyone added more?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic
thetapeworm

Interior lighting - has anyone added more?

Post by thetapeworm » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:05 am

I'm not sure if interior lighting is different between cars with a glass roof and those without but I find the single light in the front of our glass-roof Cactus to be somewhat lacking, especially for passengers in the rear.

Has anyone added additional "comes on when the doors are opened" lighting in their Cactus and if so what have you done?

I was thinking some kind of LED cable / EL wire around the whole circumference of the glass roof might be a solution but I'm a nuts and bolts chap rather than someone happy messing with electricity so I wasn't sure it would work.

Any thoughts other than giving my daughter a torch?
Last edited by thetapeworm on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'16 Flair Edition - Obsidian Black - BlueHDi 100

Mike66

Re: Interior lighting - has anyone added more?

Post by Mike66 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:22 pm

I actually think a torch, or camping battery type light in the rear would possibly be more 'Cactus-like fun' ..... and probably a lot less hassle than trying to wire in lights?

I do agree that it's a bit of a weak point of the car though.

Cheers
Mike

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:38 pm

I think this situation is quite normal for a car of this size. There is only the one light in the front of our C3.

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Oh it's perfectly normal, I don't expect a Maybach optical light show from a back to basics Cactus, I'd just like a little bit more light, especially in the back - I'm not attacking the Citroen design team, just happy to personalise to meet my needs and fill gaps where the Citroen team may have had to compromise to save money / make production easier :)

Freerangecactus

Post by Freerangecactus » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:07 pm

It's not exactly what you were asking for but here's an idea if you like to keep it simple.
I went for an easy solution which works really well. I have fitted footwell lights which are always on.
At the moment only finished the front but already made up the fittings/wiring for the rear wells just need to tuck it away and connect.
As the light are always on I choose red LED's so it doesn't interfere with sight on the road, just a red glow on the floor but it makes a huge difference when entering the car. (and finding the cap of your water bottle during a journey!)

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-14 at 17.57.37.jpeg

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm

That looks great, I was thinking along the lines of something like that and the same under the front seats to light the rear footwells too. My old Focus ST had this but weirdly Ford don't put the bulbs in at the factory, it always looked nice.

I'd probably want them tied in to the interior light though, I like darkness in the cockpit when I drive (why don't more cars have "night mode" like my Saab?).

Thanks for the picture, definitely a consideration.