Engine oil pressure fault - Stop

All C4 Cactus related discussions
The2ems

Engine oil pressure fault - Stop

Post by The2ems » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 am

Had this on Thursday evening when pulling up at lights. It went out as soon as I pulled away. So my first thought was low oil, but on checking I found it was over three quarters full. Panic set in. I was in Birmingham, and due to drive home to South Wales today, Friday. Needn’t have worried. Call to Citroen assist, and within hours I’d got a nice Peugeot 2008 courtesy car, and my Cactus was collected this morning to be taken all the way to Bridgend for diagnostics. The RAC man who came out yesterday thinks it may be an electrical fault, because when he put his diagnostic thingy on, it came up with a couple of other things, not related to oil pressure. So, fingers crossed.
PureTec 82 manual, 2018, Flair, Shark Grey, Black air bumps

Calumets

Re: Engine oil pressure fault - Stop

Post by Calumets » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:19 pm

How many miles on the clock? If it is close to 50,000 you could have a serious problem. I, and a few others on here, had a massive bill (£1350 for me) after the cylinder-head expanding plugs failed leading to oil pressure dropping catastrophically and ruining the timing belt. Might be worth checking it out - not sure what can be done about it as replacing the timing belt will be hugely expensive as it is immersed in oil so more complicated. But better to get it done before the possible failure of the belt damages the engine and cause exiliary costs like mine!
'Claudette' - PureTech 110 Flair S&S manual, silver with chocolate Airbumps. I wave...

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:44 pm

Coming up to 22000, but problem is now solved under warranty. Dealer told me it was a known issue with a service bulletin issued.

Twampy

Post by Twampy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:08 am

I had a similar fault with my C3 piccaso. The warning would go off after a few seconds after starting. Then my battery died. After replacing the battery the fault dussapeared. I think the low voltage was causing strange anomalies. Might be worth testing your battery even though the fault is fixed.
2016 flair edition in purple with panaramic roof. Diesel automatic.

rossgorooster

Post by rossgorooster » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:02 am

Please can you tell me what the dealer's known issue with the service fault was.
Cheers. Bob.

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm

rossgorooster wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:02 am
Please can you tell me what the dealer's known issue with the service fault was.
Cheers. Bob.
I’m not sure what the details of the issue were, they just told me that there was a known issue. And they fitted a new oil pump.

Cactused

Post by Cactused » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:05 pm

I had this repeatedly, as posted on another thread. It ended up with the engine using serious amounts of oil, and failing the MOT through emissions. Citroen say there are too many factors at play for them to accept any issue with the engine. Result is that i have to sell the car for peanuts, for a car less than 5 years old. Not happy, and i won't be buying another Citroen. Shame, as, before these issues, I enjoyed the car.

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Cactused wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:05 pm
I had this repeatedly, as posted on another thread. It ended up with the engine using serious amounts of oil, and failing the MOT through emissions. Citroen say there are too many factors at play for them to accept any issue with the engine. Result is that i have to sell the car for peanuts, for a car less than 5 years old. Not happy, and i won't be buying another Citroen. Shame, as, before these issues, I enjoyed the car.
Yours is a different issue. Mine wasn’t losing oil, just reporting an oil pressure fault.

rossgorooster

Post by rossgorooster » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:13 pm

Ok, apologies for the delay in replying to all your messages but I have been preoccupied in getting another car (a Cactus) in case our Cactus proved to expensive to repair.
However, I can report that because I forgot to get the car serviced last year the oil and filter had been in the engine for about 32,000 miles ! So, after I changed the oil and filter...which is one of the easiest cars to do I have known....the engine management fault/error code has disappeared and not returned. We are driving the car carefully because the main dealer told me the cambelt should be replaced. The dealership quoted £3,500 to rebuild the engine, but that if I had proven service records then they would cover the full cost! They would not confirm that there was a known issue with these engines, but I suspect that the oil pump might be the problem in reality.
Hey ho, Ive looked at a youtube video of how to change the cambelt and it is not that difficult, but does require the purchase of a service kit which will add about £160 to the cambelt kit of about £140. I am also somewhat confused because in the video the engineer said that the cambelts are good for about 100,000 miles or 8 years whichever is the sooner.
My car has now done 67,000 which for normal cars would be when I would change it anyway.
Unfortunately all the Main Dealer Parts Departments are closed until further notice.
Be safe everyone.

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:33 am

Sorry bit confused is that cambelt at 67k or accessories belt? That sort of mileage seems a bit early or are they suggesting it due to the cambelt being the wet/oil bath type that may have an issue around it as reported elsewhere in the forum?
Anyway glad your sorted👍
C4 Black Flair 145 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s. SLK350