Ad blu

All C4 Cactus related discussions
gillm

Ad blu

Post by gillm » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:47 pm

My adblu light came on ive added 9 litres but its still on... Do i keep on adfing ir is there something else wrong? The ladt i had to add it i only needed half a small bottle

routemaster1

Re: Ad blu

Post by routemaster1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:10 pm

gillm wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:47 pm
My adblu light came on ive added 9 litres but its still on... Do i keep on adfing ir is there something else wrong? The ladt i had to add it i only needed half a small bottle
A full tank of Adblue should last 10-12,000 miles. The Adblue tank has a 17L capacity. You must add a minimum of just under 4 litres for the system to register. It may not register immediately but 9L should be enough. If it doesn't register within 2 or 3 days there may be an issue. You do not need to add more.

The issue with only adding half a small bottle indicates there may be an issue. There is an issue which affects all Blue HDi Citroens. The Adblue pump fails and the dealer solution is to fit a new tank. If this is the case, I hope you have a Citroen warranty as the new tank will cost ~£1000 fitted. You cannot ignore the issue as the 1500 mile countdown will start, and then you will no longer be able to use the car.

So, let's hope that the light goes out in 2- days.

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:54 pm

A further thought. You don't say how old the car is. There was a recall to change the Adblue tank cap (don't really know why). Someone on another forum had an issue and took it to Citroen. They changed the cap and, as far as I recall, it solved the problem. If this hasn't been done or if the car has been serviced outside the Citroen network, it may be worth asking about this first.

gillm

Post by gillm » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:37 pm

routemaster1 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:10 pm
gillm wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:47 pm
A full tank of Adblue should last 10-12,000 miles. The Adblue tank has a 17L capacity. You must add a minimum of just under 4 litres for the system to register. It may not register immediately but 9L should be enough. If it doesn't register within 2 or 3 days there may be an issue. You do not need to add more.

The issue with only adding half a small bottle indicates there may be an issue. There is an issue which affects all Blue HDi Citroens. The Adblue pump fails and the dealer solution is to fit a new tank. If this is the case, I hope you have a Citroen warranty as the new tank will cost ~£1000 fitted. You cannot ignore the issue as the 1500 mile countdown will start, and then you will no longer be able to use the car.

So, let's hope that the light goes out in 2- days.
Thanks for your reply... It a 16 plate

KAR

Post by KAR » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm

The recall re the Adblue Reservoir Cap, was done on my DS4 Crossback (Registered 30 Nov 2015, 1.6 diesel, Blue HDI 120 S&S 6-speed manual), consisted of replacing the filler cap for one with a better vent:
"VEHICLES ALL MODELS
EXPLANATION
On the affected vehicles check and if necessary replace the filler cap of the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system reservoir.
This campaign is in order to improve the venting of the reservoir, so as to avoid the lighting of a warning lamp on the dashboard and not being able to start the engine.
In some cases the reservoir will have to be replaced."

January 2018 - Mine was a 2 minute job, just needed the light blue cap replaced by one with a white vent in it's centre. Apparently, the existing venting system had caused a few tanks to collapse. The technician said that they had only had one car in that had not needed the cap replaced.

IMG_20180116_141327_Copy.jpg

Cactus Flair 2019, PureTech 1.2 S&S 110 EAT6 auto. Pearl White with Black "Cross" Alloy Wheels.

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Reading everyones experience concerning Ad blu related issues. This is one more thing I personally don't want a repetition of.

I thought it prudent to buy a quantity from the garage and top up my reservoir. It took about 2.5 litres to fill it but with the limited
mileage I am now going to be doing in this current climate there is opportunity for something else to go wrong. These cars like
to go out but we aren't.

Peterkieran

Post by Peterkieran » Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 pm

I have a 15 plate 1.6hdi cactus, has the old unvented cap and has never had a recall in relation to this however just started to have problems with the urea warning light, can anyone advise if this should have been recalled and who I contact regarding this if it should have been.
Thanks

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:19 am

Peterkieran wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 pm
I have a 15 plate 1.6hdi cactus, has the old unvented cap and has never had a recall in relation to this however just started to have problems with the urea warning light, can anyone advise if this should have been recalled and who I contact regarding this if it should have been.
Thanks
This is a non-safety related issue, and should have been addressed when taken to Citroen for servicing. You are only notified directly if there is a safety recall. You need to get it to an agent, get the cap changed and see if that makes a difference. What issues are you having?