Would really appreciate some advice on the following fault

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
HullCactus63

Would really appreciate some advice on the following fault

Post by HullCactus63 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:35 pm

In the very short time that I have owned this used Cactus (since June last year) I have really fallen out of love with it.

I need reassuring and hopefully get to enjoy driving it again so I'd like some expert, experienced advice from you good people on this forum.

I just feel I've been sold a white elephant from Evans Halshaw and the car isn't even 5 years old yet! :(

Exactly a week ago, without warning the engine management light came on (amber warning), quickly followed by the UREA light with the messages. "Engine fault: have the vehicle repaired", then "UREA: emissions fault".
Now, the "UREA: emissions fault" message has been replaced by a flashing UREA light and "UREA: emissions fault. Starting will be prevented in 700 miles".
I have topped up the AdBlue tank with 5 litres. It made no difference to the messages on screen.
NEVER in all my 30 years of driving have I ever been faced with such messages !!!!
I plugged in my OBDII code reader and I get the following codes P2200 (NOx Sens Circ Bank 1) and U029D which also relates to the NOx sensor.
Is the 700 mile countdown accurate? Because 700 miles is more than 2 months driving for me....

What I need to know is has anyone had these kind of faults repaired at their local vehicle repair centre rather than going to a main dealer?
I bought this car from Evans Halshaw in Hull and I wouldn't trust them to change a light bulb let alone service or repair my car!
I trust my local service/MOT centre and would prefer to take it there without giving Citroen a dime.
Any idea of the cost to have the NOx sensor replaced? Is this something that can be removed and cleaned rather than replaced? I have removed faulty lamda sensors before in other vehicles, delicately cleaned them and replaced them and the fault code cleared.
Once the NOx sensor is replaced does the ECU 'talk' to the new sensor and give you a clear screen/erase codes?

If it has to be a main dealer - God I hope not - then does anyone recommend one close to Hull?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

routemaster1

Re: Would really appreciate some advice on the following fault

Post by routemaster1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:06 pm

The symptoms are typical of failure of the Adblue pump. As I've said before, I hope you have deep pockets or a Citroen warranty, as the repair will probably require a new Adblue tank and the bill is likely to exceed £1000. I'm really sorry to give you that bad news. You need to get it done soon as the car will eventually not start.

HullCactus63

Post by HullCactus63 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:48 pm

routemaster1 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:06 pm
The symptoms are typical of failure of the Adblue pump. As I've said before, I hope you have deep pockets or a Citroen warranty, as the repair will probably require a new Adblue tank and the bill is likely to exceed £1000. I'm really sorry to give you that bad news. You need to get it done soon as the car will eventually not start.
Thanks for the reply! I have neither. Deep pockets nor a Citroen warranty. And £1000? What is it made of, titanium or gold? Never have I had a repair on a car to cost that much.
Can this be done at any garage? That's if it turns out to be the AdBlue tank? And if it is the AdBlue tank shouldn't Citroen be recalling these cars as I have just Googled this after you mentioned it and there seems to be 1000's of cases???

Well, this car will have to sit on the driveway then and rot for a while if it turns out to be a £1000+ repair.

UntitledH

Post by UntitledH » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:32 pm

Not sure if this helps you at all but I had the same issue just last week - was told today I needed a new catalytic converter.

My car is around the same age - just turned 5 and I've only had it for a year - slightly regretting my choices! expensive fix for me.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:38 am

Just got my catalyst replaced when the car came with an alarm.
Fortunately within my service agreement, I fear the day it runs out. I have NEVER heard or experienced a car that is of such poor quality.

It has been in the workshop 2-3 times a year since I bought it in 2015.
It has had everything from 4 doors replaced, shock absorber, exhaust to the entire engine block.
CITROEN C4 CACTUS PURETECH 82 S&S ETG FEEL. 2015

minimike

Post by minimike » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 pm

I have just had the same two fault codes and the same UREA ,SERVICE and ENGINE/EMISSIONS fault warning. I've replaced the NoX sensor and cleared the codes and it's ok so far.....

Sensor was £220 from Poland, on eBay. It's genuine and about £80 cheaper than the UK. It's an easy job to change it.

If you are not the mechanical type I would find a good independent, Citroen are happy to throw parts at the car at your expense.

Have a look for my post about it and good luck.

Mike.