Wiper Blades

Faults and Technical chat for the Citroen C4 Cactus
Kennyg115

Wiper Blades

Post by Kennyg115 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:05 pm

I have my MOT due and both front blades are needing replaced. On looking at them I can see they are not your bog standard and I am assuming its best to get at a dealership, etc. Any idea of where would be best to get them?

Cheers

KAR

Re: Wiper Blades

Post by KAR » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:17 pm

Cactus Flair 2019, PureTech 1.2 S&S 110 EAT6 auto. Pearl White with Black "Cross" Alloy Wheels.

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Fri May 01, 2020 10:45 am

As eluded to in the link posted above I replaced mine recently and went with Rigbyes Citroen on eBay, prompt service and the price was fair. I would have gone to the local main dealer but they aren't selling parts currently.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-CITR ... 4209848119

They take less than a minute to swap over.
'16 Flair Edition - Obsidian Black - BlueHDi 100

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Fri May 01, 2020 8:47 pm

What a pity. You could have replaced them for £2.25 off eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-Wiper-Bla ... SwBVpdMPNB

Have some confidence my friend, re-thread them yourself. Save yourself pounds.

Only tools needed are snipe nosed pliers to open the spiked clip, remove from rubber at the end of old blade. A sharp Stanley knife to
cut one section off the entire length of the blade and cut to length. Should take about 20 minutes of your valuable time.

p.s I had never done this myself before until I tried and managed very successfully. Saved £27.50.

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Mon May 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Mine were the originals and the metal pivot point had discoloured and looked unsightly so I had no issue with replacing them but you're right, other options do exist and I did take the time to remove the old rubbers from the old ones to see what the process involved. It was straightforward enough.

That said at a cost of less that £10 a year I'm happy to replace items like this with new ones, it's when you're expected to pay £200 for a sensor or replace an entire fuel tank just because one tiny component has broken due to a design flaw that I seek other options.

Tyres and wipers have always been two things I never compromise on but at the same time I appreciate that replacing the rubbers with quality items isn't necessarily a compromise.

Rubik

Post by Rubik » Mon May 04, 2020 1:33 pm

thetapeworm wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:23 pm
Mine were the originals and the metal pivot point had discoloured and looked unsightly so I had no issue with replacing them but you're right, other options do exist and I did take the time to remove the old rubbers from the old ones to see what the process involved. It was straightforward enough.

That said at a cost of less that £10 a year I'm happy to replace items like this with new ones, it's when you're expected to pay £200 for a sensor or replace an entire fuel tank just because one tiny component has broken due to a design flaw that I seek other options.

Tyres and wipers have always been two things I never compromise on but at the same time I appreciate that replacing the rubbers with quality items isn't necessarily a compromise.

Scrimping to save money on wipers and tyres especially on low powered cars like the Cactus is a sensible thing to consider. High performance cars like BMW, Mercs-AMG, Ferrari, Bugatti Veyron obviously it would be a silly thing to do.

My blade replacements on the cheap obviously don't last forever. My car was going to fail the MOT because of a smear. I had no option but to buy a new expensive blade :cry: from the dealership just to get it through the MOT but the new one also smeared. The wiper was new, it's a farce, I complained to Citroen (UK) who refunded me for the wiper.

I am just pleased some Cactus drivers have the money thinking they are doing right by purchasing original makers parts.

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Mon May 04, 2020 2:09 pm

Each to their own, I don't scrimp on parts that I consider important, if anything I'll gladly pay a little more to upgrade them over the compromised ones from the manufacturer but that's a habit I've carried over from driving performance cars that I want to get more performance from I guess.

I see no harm in improving grip, stopping ability and being able to see where I'm going on any vehicle I drive but also won't judge anyone achieving completely reasonable results by spending less, as long as they are safe and not a risk to other road users.

I use things like glass sealants (Meguiar's Perfect Clarity, Carlack or Rain X etc) too but might cut corners of other things people feel are important like hats or driving gloves :)

berapotter

Post by berapotter » Mon May 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Oh driving gloves👍🤔
Sheep skin coat and cap. Takes me back to the 70's🥴
C4 Black Flair 145 s&s, C3 Aircross white Flair130 s&s.