Rusty door bottoms

All C4 Cactus related discussions
Vacuman

Rusty door bottoms

Post by Vacuman » Thu May 21, 2020 5:08 pm

ImageGiving Purple Ronnie (2015 model) a thorough clean today and was shocked by all the flaky paint and rust on the inside of the rear door bottoms. The strip of sealer Citroen use to cover the join between the bottom fold of the door skin and the inner frame was just falling away as I attacked it with a screwdriver. After stripping off all the loose material and wire brushing I was pleased at least to find no perforation. A coat of rust killer followed by zinc primer will do for today. Suggest you check yours when you have a spare minute.

IMG_20200521_160957.jpg

DavidP

Re: Rusty door bottoms

Post by DavidP » Thu May 21, 2020 7:54 pm

It's a shame you tackled the repair yourself. We had some corrosion you've described and took our car to the local Citroen dealership. We were told that Citroen would gladly replace all the doors under warranty. The guy who handled warranty claims suggested that we might want to wait as they have had issues with the Airbumps "chafing" the new paint due to hot weather causing the Airbump to expand and then contract. The cynical amongst you would say we were being fobbed off. I actually believed the guy as he has handled a number of warranty claims for me in the past without any difficulty. He did suggest that he had a technical bulletin from Citroen that because door corrosion was a known problem, they, Citroen that is, would honour any claims for a period of 5 years after manufacture as a separate issue from the corrosion warranty which need an annual inspection for claims. It might be worth you getting yourself with the dealer.

Jonovich

Post by Jonovich » Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 pm

Agree that it needs to be taken to the dealers and dealt with under warranty. These doors are rusting from the inside out, so anything other than a replacement isn't going to keep the tin worm at bay for long. Had mine done on Ronnie prior to trading him, keeping a close eye on the replacement for similar traits! :o

Jono

srperry

Post by srperry » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Jonovich wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 pm
Agree that it needs to be taken to the dealers and dealt with under warranty. These doors are rusting from the inside out, so anything other than a replacement isn't going to keep the tin worm at bay for long. Had mine done on Ronnie prior to trading him, keeping a close eye on the replacement for similar traits! :o

Jono
It's not rust - it's the result of a different chemical reaction; a large number of door panels were affected by a chemical contamination in the factory, and when sprayed with colour paint a reaction with the paint occurred - which didn't show on my Cactus (2016 model) for almost 2 years. I left it another 11 months until I traded it in for my C5, and my dealer replaced all 4 doors under warranty - it didn't affect my trade-in value at all.

This kind of stuff isn't restricted to Ciroen - My son's 2017 BMW M240i (bought new) had a boot lid which was painted in the factory while covered in Sahara desert sand! And he had to threaten BMW with bad publicity and get their directors involved to get it fixed, along with the poor leather on the driver's seat, unpainted hidden sections of bodywork, faulty rear light and more... a £40K car!
C5 Aircross PureTech 130 S&S Flair, Tijuca Blue/Black Roof, Metropolitan Grey ambience

Vacuman

Post by Vacuman » Fri May 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Sadly I know rust when I see it but possibly caused by chemical reaction lifting the pain and allowing moisture to trap. Rear doors only fortunately. And I did check carefully and it was definitely on the surface under the paint and not rotting inside the door skin outwards. Not worth bothering my local dealer for this, the aggravation of getting them to fix it is not worth it at this present time. I've built and restored cars so I can do things myself fortunately. Once finished I'll give the insides a good dose of Dinitrol. Later this year I'll look to doing the whole car as when underneath now there's signs of surface corrosion.