Air Con - Gas Type? R1234yf? / Air Conditioning Refresh

All C4 Cactus related discussions
thetapeworm

Air Con - Gas Type? R1234yf? / Air Conditioning Refresh

Post by thetapeworm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Would I be right to presume that the Cactus will use R1234yf gas in the air con system rather than R134a?

I've checked the manual and even looked under the bonnet as I expected a sticker as per all my other cars but there was nothing.

Additionally do any of you know what the "Air Conditioning Refresh" is vs the "Air Con Service"?

Already looking at diagnostics for an issue that apparently needs a Citroen dealership, plus a major service... I could do without another £200 for an air con service if all I need is a gas top up.

That said local places offering a R1234yf regas are quoting £100+ so I can't understand what the "refresh" would entail.

Screenshot_2020-06-21 Citroën Parts Repair Book Online.png

'16 Flair Edition - Obsidian Black - BlueHDi 100

routemaster1

Re: Air Con - Gas Type? R1234yf? / Air Conditioning Refresh

Post by routemaster1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Which fluid you have will depend on the age of the car/. All cars manufactured from 1st January use the new fluid.

The air con service is replacement of the fluid. It is not usually possible to top up. The system used removes all of the remaining fluid, does a vacuum test then refills. I don't know the numbers of the air con fluid, but the Citroen price is the same for the two types. If your car uses the new type this is a reasonable price, although it may be cheaper elsewhere; if it is the old type it is far too expensive and i would suggest someone like Kwik Fit where they charge ~£60.

The refresh is basically cleaning the system filters to eliminate odours.

blackcountrycactus

Post by blackcountrycactus » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:03 pm

Had this done in march at dealer it is R1234 the different gas's have different connections on the car that's the key difference so you can't get it wrong, the ac refresh is an additional (addon) but if yours smells okay you will be okay, citroen dealers are expensive but do vac it out and weigh it so they now how much to put in (plus lubricant).
All black 1.6hdi flair with pano-2016

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks for the replies and clarification, their use of the phrase "Air Conditioning Refresh" seems at odds with every other company doing air con work who tend to go with the more obvious "antibacterial treatment" that's generally an extra £10 rather than £30 more :lol:

I've had a couple of older cars that have definitely needed this and the results have been good but it was anything but a "refresh", definitely more of a "fumigation" job :)

The Cactus is a 2016 model and apparently it uses R1234yf according to the online checkers I've used since posting this and having also checked the differences between the R134a and R1234yf service port designs as mentioned above. It's a subtle difference but it's there. I'm just amazed there isn't a sticker somewhere just to confirm it.

I've now booked the air con at the local ATS for £98.49 via Groupon, I've used them before for this on a few other cars and have been happy enough so hopefully it'll just be a straightforward machine hookup and then some nice cool air again.

The older stuff is £38.99 there so I'll probably get my Saab done too with the money saved vs using the dealer.

I had no idea R1234yf had come on the scene until today, it reminds me of my old Japanese imports that used R12 but then I had to go with R134a to save the world, I guess it didn't work so we're now on to this one. R12 would get so cold though, hopefully R1234yf isn't yet another step back when it comes to cooling vs saving the planet.

Thanks again!

blackcountrycactus

Post by blackcountrycactus » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:22 pm

I used the groupon code twice last year and they did it properly = vac out and refill and print out .
All black 1.6hdi flair with pano-2016

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:57 pm

blackcountrycactus wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:22 pm
I used the groupon code twice last year and they did it properly = vac out and refill and print out .
I booked my other car in too, when I logged in to Groupon I noticed my last refill with ATS was only £28 a couple of years ago, I need to get into the air con business I think :)

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:52 pm

OK, next question - the air con was working perfectly yesterday.

On Sunday when it wasn't the car needed fuel, Citroen wouldn't disable the air con to save fuel when the warning light comes on would they?

routemaster1

Post by routemaster1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:12 pm

thetapeworm wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:52 pm

On Sunday when it wasn't the car needed fuel, Citroen wouldn't disable the air con to save fuel when the warning light comes on would they?
I think it's doubtful. I had to do a 15 mile trip in our C3 on Monday when it was hot, and as I set off the fuel warning light came on. Aircon was OK for the whole trip.

One issue though. Despite what some people have said in the past, auto aircon does significantly affect fuel consumption. High 40s with auto aircon on, low 50s without!

thetapeworm

Post by thetapeworm » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:17 am

routemaster1 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:12 pm
thetapeworm wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:52 pm

I think it's doubtful. I had to do a 15 mile trip in our C3 on Monday when it was hot, and as I set off the fuel warning light came on. Aircon was OK for the whole trip.

One issue though. Despite what some people have said in the past, auto aircon does significantly affect fuel consumption. High 40s with auto aircon on, low 50s without!

I didn't think it would but thought it best to check - it just seemed odd that it wouldn't work one day with low fuel and then be fine the next when we had a full tank.

Managed to cancel the Groupon anyway so will put that on hold and monitor, thanks for your input :)